http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/dow...tml#post480339

It is amazing!! To play, and the fact that they did it so quickly

Using OpenZDK of course

Jeremy

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-20-2010, 05:22 PM

Let the games begin, literally. lol.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:24 PM

Damn. I was gonna wait a month or so so they can work out the kinks in the os..... But this makes it hard to wait. Really hard.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:33 PM

Why wait? its so easy to install, and the Pros really out way the cons.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:25 PM

What I'm worried about is bricking the device. Its a bit expensive to have the risk of bricking...

Old 04-20-2010, 06:25 PM

So can you play this without any "mods" or whatever, patching up the zune, etc? You can just install it and it'll pop in as an app? I'm just worried about messing up my zune but if it's like any of the other apps then I guess I shall install it

Old 04-20-2010, 06:33 PM

^ yes it's like any other 3rd party XNA app (as far installation and accessing it and playing it)

Old 04-20-2010, 08:46 PM

I can see why everyone is excited but in all honesty do you guys really find games like this practical without physical controls? This goes for the iphone/android devices as well...the controls look horrible looking at the video...

Old 04-20-2010, 09:04 PM

For me it's actually fun to play with or without tactile controls. Lol the images do look horrible but the gameplay is fine. Come on Doom 2!!!

Old 04-20-2010, 10:15 PM

I just cant help but wonder what Dave's thoughts are on all of this hacking stuff...

Add Me on Zune Social! my name is: mq1991

Old 04-20-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mq1991 View Post
I just cant help but wonder what Dave's thoughts are on all of this hacking stuff...
I'm wondering the same thing.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:21 PM

i did it. That game is AWESOME! The controls are a little hoaky... need the double joystick style...i found out the best controls for me are movement and strafing are touch and turning (which needs to be on another "joystick") is on tilt. I love it, though. Props to the dev(s) (if they even read these forums lol)

Old 04-20-2010, 11:49 PM

Quite impressive that the game has already been ported so shortly after the release of the Zune OpenSDK. The graphics look top-notch (not too surprising), and the controls will be improved with time. For now, even the Rockboxed Fuze's version of Doom has better controls.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:55 AM

Yeah the controls are very tough. Even if you get used to them, it's very hard to dodge and stuff, which is crucial in Doom. Nevertheless, the game is amazing. Exactly how I remembered it. I just want a GBA emulator and I will NEVER regret buying a Zune =p

Btw, I cannot get the game to save. Anyone else have this problem?

Glad you tried it Timmahcheese! I was also skeptical at first but these games have been tested so there should be no problems with damaging the zune at all.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:20 AM

Yeah. See, my issue with it was that i thought it was a full-blown firmware hack. Now i realize its just a developer-side hack that does a lot on the zune-side

Old 04-21-2010, 01:28 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mq1991 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner123 View Post
I'm wondering the same thing.
Let me just say that for the first time the Zune Team might be scrambling. Closing this security hole is more important to them than ANY request that we've ever put forward.

The funny thing is that, the reason our requests are often shelved/denied is because "you're a niche market, it's not a concern since we're trying to appeal to the mass market." I guarentee you that this "niche market" just gave the Zune Team a fit.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
Let me just say that for the first time the Zune Team might be scrambling. Closing this security hole is more important to them than ANY request that we've ever put forward.

The funny thing is that, the reason our requests are often shelved/denied is because "you're a niche market, it's not a concern since we're trying to appeal to the mass market." I guarentee you that this "niche market" just gave the Zune Team a fit.
Microsoft's strategy for Zune sucks. They have lost so many customers because of bad (limited) advertising, limited resources, parallel development for other products and so many wrong decisions. The most possible senario is that they try to defend development for an improved Zune HD 2...i mean that they try to make a possible forthcoming product look much more worthy by limiting their current product. They have already developed the basic technology for the next product, so, they just give us lame excuses and limit the functionality of Zune HD to make most of the people think that a next generation product will be far better without spending many resources on further development. I believe something like this is happening with WP7. They claim that Zune HD hasn't been designed with apps and games as a basic feature, but the development for them is ready and they don't want to make it fully available for Zune HD.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:02 AM
Windows Phone Moderator

I'm sure we will see;

A. A post from Dave playing down the hack (when he is safely back in Seattle)

B. A quickly released (before end May) firmware update that combines the next official MS App releases and extra content promised (they make link them to only allow deployment of new official content via a firmware level that closes the hack's entry point in the OS).

I would certainly handle it this way if I was at MS and someone bypassed my locked down system - shit I would also link ongoing ability to continue your access to Zunepass contingent on upgrading to a new firmware level..

Time will tell I guess. Either way kudos to the hackers. Here's the one question I want Dave to answer ON BEHALF OF MS officially;

"....for any Zune HD owner that has installed the openSDK kit, and installed 3rd party content, will MS in any way release new firmware updates that restrict, penalise or limit that person's Zune HD hardware from ongoing access to firmware, content and upgrades of their device ?"

Dave, can you get an official MS response to this please ?

Old 04-21-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_Aus View Post
I'm sure we will see;

A. A post from Dave playing down the hack (when he is safely back in Seattle)

B. A quickly released (before end May) firmware update that combines the next official MS App releases and extra content promised (they make link them to only allow deployment of new official content via a firmware level that closes the hack's entry point in the OS).

I would certainly handle it this way if I was at MS and someone bypassed my locked down system - shit I would also link ongoing ability to continue your access to Zunepass contingent on upgrading to a new firmware level..

Time will tell I guess. Either way kudos to the hackers. Here's the one question I want Dave to answer ON BEHALF OF MS officially;

"....for any Zune HD owner that has installed the openSDK kit, and installed 3rd party content, will MS in any way release new firmware updates that restrict, penalise or limit that person's Zune HD hardware from ongoing access to firmware, content and upgrades of their device ?"

+1

Add Me on Zune Social! my name is: mq1991

Old 04-21-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_Aus View Post
I'm sure we will see;

Officially restricting or limiting the use of a product by the company as a "penalization", is a really stupid move and is going to end in a big economical damage for the company. I don't think that its legal either...Personally, i haven't seen any company which imposed penalties on usage for a non approved use of their device.

...but...they can do it without any statement...just like Microsoft did with pirated Win7 copies...they gave out a "security update" and suddenly Win7 was locked again...

So, don't expect from Dave to tell all the truth (or all the details) around that subject. They can certainly do it and claim that they make changes in other parts of the code which affect the current type of hack.

Anyway, it will be ironic if we see a new update especially for "security fixes".