android
Old 04-19-2010, 09:26 PM

Default Your Clip and headphone of choice

Rather than start a poll (mainly, I don't know how to...) I just wanted to know what various Clip/+ fans use for their headphones. Stock Clip buds...cheap, expensive IEMs, Over-ear phones, etc. I am just intersted in whatever specific phone use prefer to use with your Clip. Also, when it comes to your phone of choice, what do you like best or least about it in regards to the Clip? I do not intend this to be a random mixture of sources (hence it being posted here), please just be specific to your Sansa Clip.

Me...just the stock buds for now, but I'm looking at various options.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, I don't use just one with my Clip+, but I'll narrow it down to two.

Sennheiser PX100, and JVC Flats. Both are easily powered by the Clip+, and share a similar sound..... the PX100 is open, so I use it outside the house ( I would like to hear if there is a car coming) and the Flats, being closed, I use inside the house.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:41 AM

Nuforce NE-6. Cheap yet amazing.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
... ... the PX100 is open, so I use it outside the house ( I would like to hear if there is a car coming) and the Flats, being closed, I use inside the house.
So while in the house you’re completely isolated, hmm I don’t think I’d be advertising that. some unscrupulous thieves may just seek up on you

I use all the phones I have, even the included buds at times to hear differances ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 04-20-2010 at 05:00 AM.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:54 AM

I got the Klipsch Image X1 (= Image S2) from amazon.co.uk (18GBP) and it's easily the best IEM I heard so far, much better than the Sennheiser CX series. Combined with the rockbox crossfeed, it leaves nothing to be desired (it's actually slightly harsh on the highs but the crossfeed perfectly compensates for this, so I don't need an EQ at all)

Old 04-20-2010, 05:54 AM

I really love the Hippo VB with the Clip. To my ears they sound great without any EQ. I sometimes also use UE11 with the Clip, but they definitely need Rockbox's EQ to sound their best.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:55 AM

I'm starting to dislike wearing iems for more than an hour recently, they just start to bug me and i take em out. I like how my S4 sound but i just can't stand in ears at the moment :/.

That said i normally use the S4 with my clip+.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
I'm starting to dislike wearing iems for more than an hour recently, they just start to bug me and i take em out. ...
Have you tried different tips, that can make a difference.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-20-2010, 10:27 AM

I use the Sennheiser IE 8 and the Phonak Audeo PFE with my Clip+.

The Clip+ drives the Senns really well and the whole configuration sounds great; however, I have some problems with a proper seal with them, so I usually prefer the Phonaks for listening on the go.

They Phonaks need a bass boost to my ears, so I drive them with a Fiio E5. This configuration is slightly more cumbersome (although neither the Clip+ nor the Fiio are particularly huge) but works better for me on the go.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:53 PM

Since right now I can't justify spending more than $30 on headphones, I'll second the JVC Flats. I just got a pair of JVC Air Cushions (HA-FX67) IEMs, and so far they sound great too (though they don't have as much isolation as I'm used to with IEMs.)

Old 04-20-2010, 02:37 PM

Koss KSC75's with my Clip.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:22 PM

Altec Lansing UHP336 Snugfit In-ear Earphone
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Old 04-20-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
I'm starting to dislike wearing iems for more than an hour recently, they just start to bug me and i take em out. I like how my S4 sound but i just can't stand in ears at the moment :/.

That said i normally use the S4 with my clip+.
I might be going out on a limb here -- maybe it's because you are listening at 110db+ or something -- but if by "bug you" you mean one or both ears start to hurt a little bit, then you might try a dab of common anti-bacterial hand solution. Put a little on the tips of the phones and even a little bit in your ears can't hurt. If the discomfort goes away by doing this, than what you were experiencing was probably a minor bacterial infection.

Supposedly bacteria like the moist humid environment that a tightly sealed IEM can create in the ear canal. I know I get infections from time to time because I use my IEM's a lot. The longer they are in, the more likely I'll get one. After using the alcohol disinfectant, they always feel better within 5 minutes, and usually immediately.

OK, back on topic...love my CX-400's on my Clip+ rockboxed. They have the fun bass-weighted sound of the CX-300s that first turned me on to IEMs (they felt like friggin' little subs in my ears, didn't know cans could be that cool), but the 400s are less muddy and a little more refined overall.

Whatever you do, beware of head-fi.org. I say that tongue firmly in cheek...yes you can learn a lot, it's great site, etc., but it seems the more time I spend there the more I want to part with money I don't really have to spend on upgrades at the moment.

FWIW, when I do have a few extra dollars to part with, it will likely be on either the FA Eternas, Hippo VBs or Panny HJE900s. If I win the lottery, the JVC FX700's.

Last edited by Axim; 04-20-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowfax View Post
Koss KSC75's with my Clip.
Same here, though sometimes I use portapro's when i need more bass

Old 04-20-2010, 10:41 PM

Westone UM3X's with just a little extra high and low from Rockbox's EQ. Delicious.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:30 AM

I don't find the KSC75 to work overly well with the Clip+... they sure can benefit from an amp in that setup.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:01 AM

SoundMagic PL-30 from http://mp4nation.net. I bought it with a Fiio5 amp, but I don't use that with the Clip+. (The amp I use at home with my ancient Jecklin Float II headphones - they need an amp.)

These earphones are dirt cheap and has received very good reviews. Apart from sounding nice they are very practical. They come in a little pouch that fits the Clip, and goes into my pocket. They can be hooked behind the ears, so that they don't slip out, plus it has a little clip on the cable. This reduces the "microphonics" that is a problem with many in-ear phones. The seal is quite good - perhaps not good enough for a plane, but I use it on the bus and when I am out walking. The external noise doesn't bother me much - it is better than my previous in-ear phones (Creative EP-630 and Sony MDR-NC22 without the NR on). Another thing - the Sony takes half an hour to untangle - how on earth is the cable able to make triple and quadruple knots on itself inside the pouch? The Soundmagic has a thicker cable and is a lot easier to get into the ears fast - probably helped by the way it is stored in the pouch also.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I don't find the KSC75 to work overly well with the Clip+... they sure can benefit from an amp in that setup.
A definite +1 on that.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:59 AM

In class, i use Soundmagic PL-30, and use Porta Pro or Sony ED12 at home for my Clip .

Old 04-21-2010, 11:18 AM

Default UE Metro.Fi 220

I use a pair of Ultimate Ears Metro.Fi 220s. There pretty cheap (£25 from Play.com) and I picked mine up for £18 in their sale after Xmas and I love them. I had a pair of CX300-II but they were too bassy and lacked quality in the highs and mids, the UE 220s on the other hand have crisper highs and mids and the bass isn't so overwhelming. It really p***** off my friends when they listened to my Clip+ and UE 220s and even they could tell the difference in quality compared to their £100 iPods and £40 CX400-II . Thats why I love Sansa and UE.