android
Old 05-14-2010, 02:10 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinyount67 View Post
What I was saying with the MSC vs MTP 'debate' is that there is a thread on anythingbutipod discussing the differences and pros and cons of each mode. After having read that thread it seems that most people see MTP mode having more benefits over MSC mode.
I can't believe that. I guess(hope) you misunderstood. If you have the link to this thread, please post it!
I've been fighting with Samsung for more than 2 years to get MSC again. At the beginning Samsung DAP were UMS. Then, in 2007 they introduced the MTP mode in Europe and America on the K5 because they wanted to promote their music online store where you could download WMA DRM files (MTP is required to transfer DRM files). This online store was a big failure, but they did not want to admit it and continued to sell MTP DAP outside Asia. The Samsung community on GMP3 and ABI could not bear that anymore. That was the beginning of the famous MSC/UMS tutorials. Meanwhile I was harassing Samsung every week for this issue. And at the beginning of 2009, the huge surprise: The new P3 supports both MSC and MTP mode and the PC connection mode can be easily changed in the settings. We finally got it after a 2 years fight!!!
Now you can understand why I hate so much MTP. It was the biggest commercial and strategic mistake from Samsung and they have needed 2 years to understand that.

Quote:
Is there any update on fixing this problem so that it will be fixed in the next firmware?

Again, thanks for all you do.
They found a bug where library update stops at 13% when you transfer more than 3Gb files. But at the moment they have not found the cause of the other bug when it stops at 99%. Hope they will find it with the last customers' files I sent them!

Last edited by lebellium; 05-14-2010 at 02:20 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-14-2010, 04:28 AM

Default updated to 1.19 now!!!

courageous or crazy? we will see

since i feel that my 2-times-bricking-problems occoured since i was in MTP mode, but copied always directly from drive to r0 (shame that r0 is visible in that mode as hard drive!), i did it again!! after all lebellium couldnt brick it and we want to find the problem...

here how i did it:
- sw 1.10, r0 in MSC mode (yep definitely )
- updating library manually
- using the format function on r0
- drag & dropped sw 1.19 rom file to r0
- disconnected, machine firmware upgrading to 1.19
- formatting again, switching to MSC mode, library update again, setting the clock
- connecting to pc, recognized as hard drives (have also a 2 gb microSD inserted)
- moving mp3s, aacs, and flac files to r0s internal memory
- switched on, started!

if it bricks again, i will let you know and r0 will be kicked out of the window!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:34 AM

Quote:
They found a bug where library update stops at 13% when you transfer more than 3Gb files. But at the moment they have not found the cause of the other bug when it stops at 99%. Hope they will find it with the last customers' files I sent them!
i had the 13% problem the first time it bricked (sw 1.17)! did that error occour in MSC or MTP mode?!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:40 AM
Samsung Moderator

They did not tell me.
But this 13% bug seems to only occurs when you transfer many files(more than 3Gb) in one go. I suppose it occurs both in MSC and MTP mode
So just do not transfer many files in one go

Old 05-14-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
They did not tell me.
But this 13% bug seems to only occurs when you transfer many files(more than 3Gb) in one go. I suppose it occurs both in MSC and MTP mode
So just do not transfer many files in one go

oups!! that was close... i copied 3,42gb in one go. but r0 still works

Old 05-14-2010, 08:41 AM

Here's that link: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=24468 & http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...read.php?t=495

Now that I have relooked at it, I noticed one of the people 'making noise' for MTP seems to have been banned. I did not see that when I first read through the post. As I have said before, I am somewhat of a novice, so I'm trying to research and read up on things so that I know more. I don't want to be left in the dark.

lebellium, all that music i downloaded to megaupload I synced to the R0 from WMP in one sync-don't know if that little bit of info is helpful.

Last edited by robinyount67; 05-14-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: added second link

Old 05-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Samsung Moderator

For me, pool results are clear. 68% UMS vs 13% MTP...

Here is another pool: http://mp3.generationmp3.com/2009/07...s-du-dimanche/
88% UMS vs 6% MTP..

It's not a surprise for me. People can't bear MTP.
MTP has only ONE advantage: DRM support.
And as I'm strictly against DRM, I can even say MTP has no advantage.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:22 AM

lebellium,

I just talked to Samsung and they said my new R0 will arrive this afternoon. If the firmware isn't 1.19 would you upgrade to that firmware or would you downgrade (my last one came with 1.13) to 1.10? I'd like to be able to use if for my trip to Greece as the trip over the Atlantic is a little long...

Other quick question is that I'm not taking a computer on the trip so I'm concerned about charging my R0 while in Greece. I have a wall plug that the usb cord fits into. What can/should I do about charging my R0 while in Greece? Thanks for your help!

Old 05-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Samsung Moderator

If you do not care about Radio presets and AAC files, I would use the fw 1.10. It's the most stable at the moment, although I have had no problem with the 1.19.
And if possible, use MSC + drag&drop transfer.
If you have an universal USB wall charger, then you just have to plug the R0 USB cable and that's it. And maybe you need an adapter. I don't know what is the electric standard in Greece.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
For me, pool results are clear. 68% UMS vs 13% MTP...

Here is another pool: http://mp3.generationmp3.com/2009/07...s-du-dimanche/
88% UMS vs 6% MTP..

It's not a surprise for me. People can't bear MTP.
MTP has only ONE advantage: DRM support.
And as I'm strictly against DRM, I can even say MTP has no advantage.
I don't think MTP has no advantage, there's one: viruses can't copy themself to a player in MTP mode. Anyway there are many disadvantage (less compatibility, often requires driver installation and (in my R1, not in my older creative zen) is slow and unstable.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Samsung Moderator

Lol! I've never thought about that and never faced this issue
My computer skills + Kaspersky are enough, I've never transported a virus on a DAP, USB key, CD/DVD-R or whatever!
But okay, thay may be an argument for some people who do not feel comfortable with computers!

Regarding transfer speed, it's very very slow on the R1 in both MTP and MSC mode!

BTW, I did not got much help from your Italian friends on hwupgrade for the R0 bug! Please tell them the only way to fix the update library error is to send me their files. They cannot expect the bug to be fixed in a next firmware if they only wait for the R&D and me to work on it. They should show solidarity. I (and Samsung Korea) really need help from Samsung communities all around the world, thanks

Last edited by lebellium; 05-14-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Lol! I've never thought about that and never faced this issue
My computer skills + Kaspersky are enough, I've never transported a virus on a DAP, USB key, CD/DVD-R or whatever!
But okay, thay may be an argument for some people who do not feel comfortable with computers!

Regarding transfer speed, it's very very slow on the R1 in both MTP and MSC mode!

BTW, I did not got much help from your Italian friends on hwupgrade for the R0 bug! Please tell them the only way to fix the update library error is to send me their files. They cannot expect the bug to be fixed in a next firmware if they only wait for the R&D and me to work on it. They should show solidarity. I (and Samsung Korea) really need help from Samsung communities all around the world, thanks
My PC has no problem about viruses, but I get a virus on my R1 after I trasnferred some data from a laboratory of my university, then i connected my R1 to a PC without antivirus (a PC of a girl who works in the university) and then...

My R1 in MSC mode reach 5 MB/s with big file, it's not very fast but better then MTP (with more or less 1MB/s...)

Anyway I'll try to convince people of hwupgrade, I don't know why they didn't listen to me the first time.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Samsung Moderator

News from Korea:

1) @forcelab: Your files do not correspond to the announced official support specifications, so that's normal they are not supported and will never be supported:
" - AAC file . Issued AAC is form of HE Profile
. Samsung DAP support form of LC Profile ; AAC-LC (8kbps ~ 320kbps, 8kHz ~ 48kHz)
- WAV file
. Issued WAV is 24bit file
. Samsung DAP support 16bit file ; (PCM, 8kHz ~ 48kHz, 16bit Mono/Stereo)"

2) Library update issue: work on progress to find the root cause

3) Gapless: would need much time to implement this feature via a firmware. Almost no chance to see that feature on a current Samsung DAP. Maybe on coming products? That would be great

Old 05-20-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
News from Korea:

1)
. Samsung DAP support form of LC Profile ; AAC-LC (8kbps ~ 320kbps, 8kHz ~ 48kHz)
No AAC High-Efficiency support??... this meant that it can't use the best lossy audio codec of ever (as Nero AAC) what pity

compared with the AAC LC, OGG is better

Old 05-25-2010, 06:51 AM

Hi everybody!

First: a Big THX to Lebellium for the Great & hard work doing here for us

Now my quest: I use the R0 (16G) mainly as a FM Radio, about 12-16hr/day - and in this mode I experience random complete shut-downs (2-4 times a day) with "System Checking" or Library Checking" after restart. Is it a common issue (I remember somebody having this problem too) or it is just a factory defect of the one of mine?
Even if now it doesn't mean the cancellation of the Radio presets it's still boring a little..

Second: I feel the FW 1.19 FR receiving is worse compare to 1.17, should it be true?
+++ sorry, read FM receiving +++

Third: Why the hell it's non possible to order and name the saved FM stations? To export/Import the list? To change directly the equalizer and other audio settings?
I better stop here..

Last edited by inkinx; 05-25-2010 at 09:20 AM.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Samsung Moderator

lol

1) Someone on gmp3 has the same problem for the FM radio. It shuts down sometimes.
But the problem is this seems to be a random bug. I tried to reproduce this bug letting my R0 playing radio FM several hours and no problem on mine. The same problem for Samsung Korea. They need to be able to reproduce the bug to fix it. They cannot do it unless they do not know in what conditions it occurs.
If you find accurates details about that bug: when? how? etc... then maybe they can do something. If it really occurs at random, I can't do anything for you sorry

2) You should change the region code into EU. FR region code is useless. It only decreases the maximum sound level. Regarding your question, it could be true but how to benchmark it? As you understood, nothing can be improved/fixed without very accurate details. That's why my "job" is very difficult. Most of time when I report a bug, they cannot reproduce it immediately.

3) Ask Samsung

Old 05-25-2010, 09:16 AM

thanks, L

1) - I think it's near random. No clue.

2) - I see only WWide/US/Kor/Jap regions (back in 1.17 now) in the FM settings. Using WW now; I thought it affect only freq. range, isn't it?
- anyway, the difference 1.17-1.19 in the receiving quality , if it really exists, is not huge.

+++ sorry, my fault: pls read FM receiving +++

Second: I feel the FW 1.19 FR receiving is worse compare to 1.17, should it be true?

3) - Sorry for Samsung, it's the last item I've bought from this Brand. Any kind of item. They should design and test the equipment before selling it, it isn't only about Gb/$. For me they are disqualified, out of vendor list. No, even more: they are in my Black List.

Good Luck!

Last edited by inkinx; 05-25-2010 at 09:26 AM.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Samsung Moderator

I just found an Italian who seems to be have the same problem regarding FM radio > http://translate.google.fr/translate...76&sl=it&tl=en
So at least you are 3 people having this issue. Maybe I should try to reproduce this bug again

Yes it only affects freq range, this should have nothing to do with the receiving quality.

BTW, as you probably read in this thread, there is a huge problem of library update in firmwares 1.13/1.14, 1.17 and 1.19. It seems to mainly occur in MTP mode. So, if it is not done yet, I advise you to turn your R0 in MSC mode (settings>system>PC connection) otherwise you'll have to send back your R0 for repair sooner or later and you'll be still more dissatisfied with Samsung

Old 05-25-2010, 05:34 PM

BUGS AGAIN/ STILL on sw 1.19, MTC mode now:

a. confirm that the radio receiving quality has been reduced. living in germany, munich, in the middle of the town ... now all radio stations are nearly in MONO!! before they went stereo. hey, the same bug like i have in my samsung s-8000 mobile phone radio, now in r0. well done!!

b. after listening some longer mp3 and aac files (LC)... long dj sets about 1-2 hours... switching off in the middle of one... starting some times later again... starting via last played, leaving the player just playing, ..... then when an aac should start next in the list, the player crashes and its only possible to reanimate r0 with the reset button!

c. cant delete music files anymore out of the player view as before, when starting in e.g. last played music. have to go to my files, music, bla bla... why so compilcated now? dont take cool functions away, improve the machine!

d. after listening to a music file on the player itself, i go to the micro SD card memory and listen some files there..... switching off and on again later.... choosing last played option, its always starting with the first song in the music folder. it has forgotten the latst played track on the players memory or/and SD card memo.

e. please improve the timeline & time (while playing a song) that is barely not visible outside in daylight. make it fat!!

Last edited by forcelab; 05-27-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: edited d.), now more precise

Old 05-26-2010, 04:00 AM
Samsung Moderator

LOL Why do you always find new bugs?

Can you send me your long AAC file?

Anyway, yesterday I let my R0 play radio during several hours and it never shut down...

Tags
1.19, download, firmware, r0, samsung, yepp, yp-r0