android
Old 05-10-2010, 06:41 AM
Samsung Moderator

-I have 2 R0 and due to all those problems I did many many upgrades for testing firmwares. 1.10 > 1.19, 1.10 > 1.13 > 1.17 > 1.19, 1.13 > 1.19, everything you can imagine. So I do not remember what was the last upgrade

-I'm installing the fw 1.13 right now. You did not mention in your steps to upgrade in fw 1.17!!! And it seems the 5 first steps have nothing to do with the following ones, that's 2 differents bugs.
So what do you want me to do now? Installing fw 1.17 or 1.19?
(I'm currently downloading your files to start at step 1)

Last edited by lebellium; 05-10-2010 at 06:51 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-10-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
-I have 2 R0 and due to all those problems I did many many upgrades for testing firmwares. 1.10 > 1.19, 1.10 > 1.13 > 1.17 > 1.19, 1.13 > 1.19, everything you can imagine. So I do not remember what was the last upgrade

-I'm installing the fw 1.13 right now. You did not mention in your steps to upgrade in fw 1.17!!! And it seems the 5 first steps have nothing to do with the following ones, that's 2 differents bugs.
So what do you want me to do now? Installing fw 1.17 or 1.19?
(I'm currently downloading your files to start at step 1)

sorry for the confusion...

1. regarding the "library update bug": all steps are neccessary i think. 1 up to 9 - its exactly what i did before my r0 crashed and needed to be sent to the service (previous posts).

2. regarding the aac files that do not play: i just saw the big chance (through you lebellium and this forum) to include also aac files that never run on samsung machines, since my support emails never have been heared by samsung korea. can you confirm that on your other P2/ P3s?

so finally one big library-r0-destroying-bug (step 1 - 9) and aac files that generally dont work on samsungs

Old 05-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Samsung Moderator

Okay,
So I follow exactly your 9 steps (so no fw 1.17, you upgraded from 1.13 to 1.19) and we'll see what happens

Old 05-10-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Okay,
So I follow exactly your 9 steps (so no fw 1.17, you upgraded from 1.13 to 1.19) and we'll see what happens

1.17: ... the first time i had to send my player to the service, i upgraded from 1.13 to 1.17 so i just mentioned it.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Samsung Moderator

Okay so I cannot reproduce your bug. Always tested in MSC mode

-Some files (AAC) cannot play but the R0 only says "cannot open file" but does not crash.
-No library update problem
-Step 8: After deleting files, they are still visible in tag navigation (not in R0 file browser) but you just have to update the library in the settings (requires to be in MSC mode and not MTP) to fix that.
Have not tried playlist yet

So for me the only bug is AAC playback.
Unfortunately no library update issue. That's a pity because as long as I or they (Samsung) cannot reproduce the bug, there is no way to fix it. That's the biggest headache I've ever seen

Old 05-10-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Okay so I cannot reproduce your bug. Always tested in MSC mode

-Some files (AAC) cannot play but the R0 only says "cannot open file" but does not crash.
-No library update problem
-Step 8: After deleting files, they are still visible in tag navigation (not in R0 file browser) but you just have to update the library in the settings (requires to be in MSC mode and not MTP) to fix that.
Have not tried playlist yet

So for me the only bug is AAC playback.
Unfortunately no library update issue. That's a pity because as long as I or they (Samsung) cannot reproduce the bug, there is no way to fix it. That's the biggest headache I've ever seen

- did you also MOVE 1 or 2 files from R0 to PC using CUT & PASTE?
- my player always was very filled with many files when it happened, you could try to make some copies (and copies of copies) of my files to have more files on the player.

its really a pitty....

Old 05-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcelab View Post
- did you also MOVE 1 or 2 files from R0 to PC using CUT & PASTE?
- my player always was very filled with many files when it happened, you could try to make some copies (and copies of copies) of my files to have more files on the player.

its really a pitty....
-Yes, I followed exactly your instructions
-Yes I can (but I already have many other music files on it )
I'll try in MTP mode this time. MTP often does not like when you transfer non-mp3 files (FLAC, WAV, AAC, OGG etc...), so that can help to brick my R0 (yes, there is only one person who wants to brick his DAP, me )

Old 05-10-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
-Yes, I followed exactly your instructions
-Yes I can (but I already have many other music files on it )
I'll try in MTP mode this time. MTP often does not like when you transfer non-mp3 files (FLAC, WAV, AAC, OGG etc...), so that can help to brick my R0 (yes, there is only one person who wants to brick his DAP, me )

yes please try also in MTP mode!!! may be i always did these actions in MTP mode?! i never touched this option, because i always saw my R0 coming up after USB connecting and thought it wouldnt show up if its the wrong setting. so one thing always was strange: i never saw the option "diconnection hardware surely", "drive F" down in the right of the windows task bar!

because of your last post i changed this setting in options to MTC mode. so now i saw the first time the message "savely removed from PC"!!

hopefully we are close to brick yours!! everyone in the forum help!!!

Old 05-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Samsung Moderator

I thought you were in MSC mode as you said "hard drive"!!!
I think that's the biggest problem. People do not know the difference between MTP and MSC and they think drag&drop ability = UMS/MSC...NOT AT ALL!
I asked Samsung in my email to change defaut PC connection mode on European and American Samsung DAP into MSC. I'm fed up with MTP mode that causes so many problems...

So I will do all steps again from step 1 in MTP mode now I know you were not in MSC

Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I thought you were in MSC mode as you said "hard drive"!!!
I think that's the biggest problem. People do not know the difference between MTP and MSC and they think drag&drop ability = UMS/MSC...NOT AT ALL!
I asked Samsung in my email to change defaut PC connection mode on European and American Samsung DAP into MSC. I'm fed up with MTP mode that causes so many problems...

So I will do all steps again from step 1 in MTP mode now I know you were not in MSC

i think we are very close!!! would also match robinyount67s description. he synced with media player before bricking .... and for syncing with media player i think he definitely had to be in MTP mode!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Samsung Moderator

It won't definitely brick
Exactly the same results as in MSC mode and no hanging library update.

Okay, so enough for today, I've also other things to do

Old 05-10-2010, 09:12 AM

I'm pretty sure my player came 'defaulted' in MTP mode. Being a novice, I left it in that mode since I don't know better. I also know that all the files that bricked the player were WMA files.

Lebellium, concerning my upload on megaupload, should I get rid of all those files I have there so I can start putting the zip files there sometime this week? But now with this new info, will I even need to upload this stuff?

Thank you, lebellium & forcelab, for all your work on this problem. I know that I truly appreciate it!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinyount67 View Post
Lebellium, concerning my upload on megaupload, should I get rid of all those files I have there so I can start putting the zip files there sometime this week? But now with this new info, will I even need to upload this stuff?
Yes, you can delete all files, only upload one zip file that contains all your songs
Yes I still need this stuff, it may be helpful. I cannot reproduce forcelab's bug but maybe Samsung will be able to.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:27 PM

To make things worse/more complicated/fill in the blank, I had someone from Samsung call me today about my R0. They are sending me a new one because they cannot fix the problem.

I don't know about you guys, but that scares me a little bit. I was so pumped to get the R0 and loved it for the 3 days I had it. Now I wonder if I will ever be able to use it or will this just be a reaccurring problem!?!?!

When I get the new one I think I will downgrade the firmware to 1.10, hoping that it will be safe.

lebellium, would you suggest making my music mp3 instead of WMA as that almost sounds to be a little safer. And even though I use WMP to sync music, should I switch the player to MSC?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:45 PM

Maybe mp3 is safer than wma or other formats. At least I'm only using mp3 files and didn't encounter any problems with my R0 within the 3 weeks of daily use (fw 1.19). Also I didn't notice the alleged stereo channel swap bug until now (and I'm often listening to music stored on the 16 GB microSDHC card).

Old 05-11-2010, 02:31 AM
Samsung Moderator

I don't think MP3 is safer than WMA. But MSC + drag&drop is safer than MTP.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:52 AM

lebellium,

Why is MSC + drag&drop safer than MTP? I would think using a program like WMP and syncing would be the safest since that program is made to do that very thing.

Concerning MP3 vs WMA do we know what type of files have crashed the R0's. Has one type done more crashing of these players more than the other. Maybe this is Samsung trying to get us Samsung users to be forced into using Emodio.

When I get my new player, I assume it too will come with firmware 1.13. Is it smart to downgrade to 1.10 and leave it in 1.10 or should I upgrade after I take it to 1.10 up to 1.19? Or until this bug can be fixed, is 1.10 just the safest way of function--and may be for some time as it seems this bug has become near impossible to solve.

Last edited by robinyount67; 05-11-2010 at 08:59 AM.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 AM

stbi,

You say you used mp3 files on your R0 and that everything is working fine. Is that still the case? What firmware came on your player, how did you upgrade it, and how did you put music on your player (MSC + drop and drag or MTP and syncing with another program)?

For everyone else to comment-

I've read the MSC vs MTP forum dicussions and after reading them it seems that the general opinion is that you can't do quite as much with transferring data in MSC mode. Am I reading those thoughts correctly?

Old 05-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Samsung Moderator

According to all customers' files I reported to the R&D, the library update problem almost only occurs in MTP mode.

MTP problems in general:
-you cannot use (open, edit, rename) files directly on the device, you have to transfer them on the computer first
-you cannot explore the device or transfer other files during a transfer
-MTP does not like when you transfer an unusual kind of files (FLAC, etc...)
-you need a genuine Windows XP, Vista or 7 with Windows Media Player 10 or 11 installed for the MTP drivers

Quote:
I've read the MSC vs MTP forum dicussions and after reading them it seems that the general opinion is that you can't do quite as much with transferring data in MSC mode
I've not understood your last sentence, the turn of the phrase is quite unusual for me foreigner^^

Old 05-13-2010, 10:13 PM

What I was saying with the MSC vs MTP 'debate' is that there is a thread on anythingbutipod discussing the differences and pros and cons of each mode. After having read that thread it seems that most people see MTP mode having more benefits over MSC mode.

Knowing now that MTP seems to be part of the problem, I will switch to MSC when Samsung sends me my new R0.

Is there any update on fixing this problem so that it will be fixed in the next firmware?

Again, thanks for all you do.

Tags
1.19, download, firmware, r0, samsung, yepp, yp-r0