android
Old 04-17-2010, 10:55 PM

Default So, we've done it...

So. We've (and when I say we, ALL credit goes to the Dev Front at ZuneBoards, good job guys!) done it. A small exploit in the Zune. A light at the end of this tunnel... BUT! Using this exploit, dev's will be able to develop an App store, such as the Jailbroken iPhone's Cydia. So, mainly this thread is just for you to share your ideas on what you would like to see in a hypothetical App Store. Things such as UI ideas, names, and etc, and hey, lets get some "out-there" ideas!!

-thekabster

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-17-2010, 11:21 PM

An MSC mode app.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:24 PM

Explain "MSC" mode

Old 04-17-2010, 11:33 PM

It's something every other player offers, basically, which allos you to transfer files to it as if it were a usb drive rather than using the zune software. I don't think it's possible, just dreaming...

Old 04-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

With all the love that ZuneHD is getting, we may have to start a anythingbutzune forum soon.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:07 AM

I'll bite. But only if direct hating, flame-wars, and trolling is allowed.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:10 AM

One thing though, is you buy a Zune to be unique, and making Apps...is copying the iPod line...

Old 04-18-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekabster View Post
One thing though, is you buy a Zune to be unique, and making Apps...is copying the iPod line...
Is mac having ports of games copying windows?

Old 04-18-2010, 12:25 AM

I wanna run android. since i know that aint happening id settle for being able to download torrents directly to the device. Thats right I want Utorrent on my zune.
Players: 1g 16gb Ipod Touch, 2g 16gb Ipod touch, 3g 32gb Ipod Touch, 6g 160gb Ipod classic, 2g 1gb ipod shuffle, 1g 30gb Zune, 16gb Zune hd, 1gb Creative Zen, Sony MP3 mini disk player/recorder, Sansa c130.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:41 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Quote:
If you buy a Zune to be "unique" you have your priorities wrong. You should buy it because it's the player that fits you best, not becaise you want to make som sort of statement. The HD already "copies" a lot of iPod features anyways.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:50 AM

I want an IRC app. Apple has their "Colloquy" app... I want a Zune HD "Colloquy" type app :[ Or another way I can connect to quakenet.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
what you would like to see in a hypothetical App Store.
Apps? Isn't it a bit early for an App Store? Sure, down the line, but how about making some apps first?

Anyway, it's taken quite a few years (and a critical mass which must have just been reached with the HD), because noone has managed this since it was released in 2007 or whenever (I did give it a go back then). I'll have a look at what they've got now (and bring out that old Zune 30), and what can be done with it (I'm a Windows CE/Mobile developer).

The app stuff is great, but the really cool thing that this will hopefully enable is to use this thing as a straight MTP player, and then use the media software of your choice (no more MTP-Z and Zune software please!).

Last edited by IanFromAfrica; 04-18-2010 at 02:58 AM.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrauber View Post
It's something every other player offers, basically, which allos you to transfer files to it as if it were a usb drive rather than using the zune software. I don't think it's possible, just dreaming...
Windows Mobile can do this. AFAIK WM6+, so kinda, maybe, who knows, but not impossible...

Old 04-18-2010, 03:51 AM

Quote:
So. We've (and when I say we, ALL credit goes to the Dev Front at ZuneBoards, good job guys!) done it. A small exploit in the Zune. A light at the end of this tunnel... BUT! Using this exploit, dev's will be able to develop an App store, such as the Jailbroken iPhone's Cydia. So, mainly this thread is just for you to share your ideas on what you would like to see in a hypothetical App Store. Things such as UI ideas, names, and etc, and hey, lets get some "out-there" ideas!!
1. USB access WITHOUT having to use the accursed zune.exe -- either "pure" MSC mode, usable on any machine that can handle a USB drive, or, if no other alternative, in "real" MTP mode (usable on Windows machines and I think on Macs and some Linux setups).

2. Real-world stuff, like ebook readers, PDF viewer, and a browser (talkiing about the hard drive Zunes). Personally I would like to have Internet access -- either via cable and/or WiFi -- but I'd settle for a browser that could be used as an HTML content viewer (lots of stuff like free Baen ebooks in HTML format), for display of locally stored (on-Zune) .htm files.

3. (deep in the wishing-well now) a USB Host-mode driver (probably need five bucks worth of hardware to plug into the USB port -- an acceptable hurdle, considering the stuff it would enable) -- this would among other things allow the use of external drives and plugging in a real keyboard (which would make a text editor practical -- and, make a browser much more useful -- not to mention all the possibilities for custom applications, i.e. vertical-market stuff). (Anyone know if there's such a thing as a WiFi keyboard? If so, then a driver for that would be nice too, especially if USB host mode hit any major roadblocks.)

4. Nice-but-not-major -- the ability to record from the FM tuner and/or an external audio source.

5. Access to the CE Windows Explorer shell, for file management and application launching and so forth.

6. There are pre-packaged app/utility/shell collections for "jailbroke" GPS units that are WinCE-based. Amazing how a fifty buck GPS can have a LARGE touch-screen, built-in speaker, and, with a simple tweak, FULL access to the CE OS -- while our expensive Zunes are SO restricted. It'd be nice if someone with the right cluepack could take a look at some of the existing CE freebie application kits (the ones I've read about come with all sorts of games, ebook readers, PDF readers, video players, etc., etc., etc.), and find out if any of this existing stuff can be easily dropped into a "jailbroke" Zune -- or, if there's some additional tweaking necessary, see if the guys who have YEARS of experience working with that stuff to come on board to help port it to the Zune. The point being that there's ALREADY a HUGE amount of free/open source goodies for WinCE -- compiled, I believe, for little machines running the same generation CE on the ARM processors the Zunes use.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
An MSC mode app.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:19 AM

1. FM recorder 2. Mail app 3. Maps app 4. ZHDApps on-board as the Zune's Cydia

Old 04-18-2010, 08:39 AM

Does this mean we won't have to reboot after downloading said apps?

Old 04-18-2010, 09:38 AM

yup

Old 04-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Mail app. Youtube app. With no GPS on board I have no need for a maps app.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
An MSC mode app.
Does this hack bring us any closer to MSC mode becoming a reality?