android
Old 04-17-2010, 01:21 PM

Default Gigabeat Error, anyone know what it is/a solution?

This is my Gigabeat, through wear from being in my pocket so long playin my music faithfully, I can no longer read the back labeling to remember what model this is. So excuse the the big picture, but it's the best identity I can provide for it. But this error screen has been permanently affixed to it whenever I turn it on for about a year, but I only recently found this forum after my first searches for help.

The screen reads:
The yellow triangle has the number 5.(I assume error number)
"Contact manufacturer for repair."
The next lines are spanish for the same thing.

Can anybody tell me what the problem is and/or a solution? I had to previously take apart this lil guy before for a stuck button, so if taking apart is necessary it wouldn't be impossible for me. Just need to know what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance for any helpful answers.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-17-2010, 08:42 PM

You have a gigabeat S, generally error 5 is a hardware issue relating to the HDD. You're going to have to open her up.
You will probably just have to replace the HDD.

There is a possibility that it's just a dislodged cable, as it's fairly common in the S series. Hope that helps!

Old 04-19-2010, 02:26 PM

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Popped it open and everything seems to be in order, and I've pressed on wire connectors to see if any were loose with no change. Is there a certain cable I should be looking for?

If the HDD, where would I go about getting a new one and the software to put on the MP3?

Old 04-22-2010, 03:42 AM

Remove the metal HDD Brace (located inside the case, near the top of the player, close to the HDD ribbon) by removing two screws. This will give you access to the HDD ribbon PCB connection. Open this and remove the HDD. Gently hold the loose connection and apply steady pressure to the loose end. It should slide back into place. Reassemble the player and try to boot.

If after all this you need to replace the HDD, it's original HDD is a MK3008GAL if it's 30gb, or a MK6008GAH if it's 60gb. However, it will work with any 1.8" HDD with a ZIF connector. Try ebay for a replacement.

Getting the player files may be tricky - you may have to find another user of the gigabeat S, I own the F and I'll attach my GIGABEAT file if you like. I'd try the rockbox.org forums for the files.

After saying that, I found the firmware :P
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...e/MESV12US.zip