android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 04-16-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
Um not exactly. It allows C++ in addition to XNA. Plus it allows access to wifi so now devs can make their own Twitter apps and/or anything that requires internet access. But you're right about flash... whoever thinks flash will make it onto a Zune is a little too optimistic.
Hm. But it still has to run through XNA, no? It would seem pointless to make new Twitter apps, because they will be equally as slow.
YouTube may be a possibility, though. Not sure because of codecs etc.

The real question is will Microsoft disable this? It would probably cause a lot of shit, and at the moment, us techy users are happy with the product.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-16-2010, 12:05 PM

My understanding is that this "hack" allows you to write C++ right on top of the firmware, without going through the XNA layer at all.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:09 PM

shakermaker is right, its nothing to do with XNA, it allows C++ w/OpenGL ES2 support.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:21 PM

What I'd like to know is if it's possible to make changes to the firmware. Simple things such as changing font colors, custom backgrounds, etc. Sure having new apps and games with less limitations will be cool but I'd much prefer things to do with extending and adding features to the players firmware.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:28 PM

My guess is that it isn't possible to modify the firmware code, since its embedded directly onto the chipset

Old 04-16-2010, 12:33 PM

^ That's what I figured, thanks for the response.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:36 PM

So, is there a hope for UMS support with drag and drop files outside Zune software or even flac support (inside an alternative Zune manager software)????

Old 04-16-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker41 View Post
My guess is that it isn't possible to modify the firmware code, since its embedded directly onto the chipset
...and what kind of hack is this? How can Microsoft update the firmware via Zune Software? Is it so difficult to find out?

What can be done with this hack and what can't be done?

Old 04-16-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Where are you getting that idea from?

From the brief amount of nosing around I did on their forum and wiki, it was apparent that they provide the ability to play with the actual firmware files -- the give filenames, purposes, how to access, and so forth.

Besides, it's obvious that the firmware is NOT masked into the chips because if that were the case it would not be possible to flash the Zune with NEW firmware version.

From what I've read, the only thing that's hardcoded into the processor is the security. If these people have gotten around -- or through -- that keyhole, then I'd think all bets are off, and the Zune may actually stand some chance of SUCCEEDING in the marketplace.

I know I've now for the first time got some hope in being able to continue enjoying MY Zune (rather than trying to find a non-nannyware-blocked player of equal or higher quality, at an affordable price).

I'd like nothing better than the OPTION to use my Zune the same way I use my Sansas -- and, to install the already existing WinCE freeware apps that provide ebook readers, browsers, PDF viewers, and so on. The only reason I can NOT do so today is because Mother Micro has decided to block my ability to use the funtionality inherent in the device.

I have NO problem with OTHER people using zune.exe -- I don't even care if they advocate for it, evangelize the snot out of it, tout it as the best thing since sliced wrists on the world's most-wounded emo-boy. I only want to be able to use MY player the way I want to use it.

I sure hope this breakthrough will provide the foundation for someone to come up with this kind of stuff.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:48 PM

Does this mean it would be eventually possible to sync the Zune with the Zune software?

Old 04-16-2010, 12:54 PM

Can we make a sticky topic with all the releases/news about hacked firmware for Zune HD?

Old 04-16-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
You can't modify it directly from the chipset, but firmware as whole can be changed by flashing it with a new version with the changes. How do you think Microsoft updates your firmware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
What I'd like to know is if it's possible to make changes to the firmware. Simple things such as changing font colors, custom backgrounds, etc. Sure having new apps and games with less limitations will be cool but I'd much prefer things to do with extending and adding features to the players firmware.
I didn't fully read the details of the hack, but if it will infact allow you to flash it with different firmware, then it should be possible to run custom roms, which would mean custom colors, etc. This is possible on the Motorola Droid (known as "rooting" your phone) and there is large community out there dedicated to custom ROM development.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:01 PM

if i get super mario on this omfg !!!!!!!!!! JIZZ in my pants.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:03 PM

It's about time something like this happened with the ZHD, it's capable of so much more than Microsoft gives us.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by askareem24 View Post
if i get super mario on this omfg !!!!!!!!!! JIZZ in my pants.
...but it hasn't been designed for touchscreens...

Old 04-16-2010, 01:09 PM

Maybe we can get some more features like wpa enterprise and mkv support.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pur View Post
Maybe we can get some more features like wpa enterprise and mkv support.
The developers have only mentioned apps but i'm very curious about other possibilities too.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:21 PM

Going to wait this out a bit, see what happens before I try. If anyone could put a video if it in action, that would be awesome.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
My understanding is that this "hack" allows you to write C++ right on top of the firmware, without going through the XNA layer at all.
Oh snap, that's awesome. How would one install these apps when they come out. Also, (sorry if I'm totally off on this) could I develop in C#?
Cheers.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuniq View Post
...but it hasn't been designed for touchscreens...
That would be a function of the emulator running the game rom. For example, the emulator for the Android OS provides on-screen buttons for phones that don't have physical ones.