android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 04-16-2010, 10:40 AM

Default Zune HD hacked, as well as previous Zune models

Full article here: http://www.zuneboards.com/?p=vB50442

Full unrestricted access.
Looks like ill have a busy weekend developing more for the Zune HD. = )

W00t!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-16-2010, 10:45 AM

it's no longer april fool's day is it??!?! this is exciting!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:29 AM

If this will allow access OTHER than via the zune.exe bunghole, I'll be ecstatic.

If it will enable the use of real programs (i.e., PDF/ebook readers and so forth, like any generic WinCE device, such as my Mio GPS), then I suspect the value of used hard-drive Zunes to go UP, and the availability to dwindle.

Last night an old friend made the pilgrimage out to the middle of nowhere (deep in the heart of flyover country) and while we caught up on old times, I was showing him my Zune 80, demonstrating its very nice features -- and explaining how frustrating it was to be forced to use that cruddy bloatware device-restrictor.

He then told me how Microsoft was so kind as to re-activate his Win 7 Ultimate after wrongly DEACTIVATING it during one of its fone-home jaunts. He then explained the kind of legal stuff he was prepared to initiate if they had refused to reactivate it. Suffice it to say he was livid, is a hefty MSFT shareholder, and has "big fish" landshark blood relation.

He said something about it seeming like MS goes out of their way to make people hate them. I really couldn't think of anything to say in their defense, other than that I really did like my Zune.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hopefully, this will convince Microsoft to open the XNA development to third party with ability to upload to the Zune marketplace. Most likely, this will never happen so that's why we have this.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:32 AM

Oh My GOD! It's TIME... for FLASH!!! :]

Old 04-16-2010, 11:33 AM

you have absolutely no idea how amazing this news is to me. this makes me want to get a 32gb model now . i really really really am thankful for that development team. this is the best thing ever right now you have no idea how happy i am as a consumer now

Old 04-16-2010, 11:34 AM

^ Ditto, it just totally made my weekend. I have alot on the slate to be released this weekend. And this really just topped everything off.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:38 AM

dude , i really cant wait now man. this made me change my opinion about the zune by 110%. now its just a matter of wait and see what devs can do

Old 04-16-2010, 11:44 AM

Meh. All it allows is 3d and a bit more. No flash etc.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:45 AM

This is exciting, but looks like I need to do some major brushing up on C++ if I want to use it...oh who am I kidding. I'm not going to brush up on C++. I don't have the time anymore. I'll stick with C# and just focus on WP7.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
dude cmon, have some enthusiasm . you gotta admit this is pretty stellar considering all the negative rep goin around about the zune hd. its a lot better than knowing that the device was restricted

Old 04-16-2010, 11:48 AM

I just tried the two sample applications they had. The first one, Hello World, is simply a message that reads "hack the planet" but it still restarts your zune. The second one, Three Dee, is a very simple 3d application, but when I exited it changed my passcode and I can't access my Zune anymore and will have to reset it and resync everything!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomroot13 View Post
...when i exited it changed my passcode and i can't access my zune anymore and will have to reset it and resync everything!
lol rocked

Old 04-16-2010, 11:51 AM

obviously they did hack it because the message in Hello World was from the Zune with the whiteish kinda pop up dialouge but still it screwd me over big time

Old 04-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by askareem24 View Post
dude cmon, have some enthusiasm . you gotta admit this is pretty stellar considering all the negative rep goin around about the zune hd. its a lot better than knowing that the device was restricted
Exactly. The Zune HD has so much potential because of the Tegra; however, its problem was that it was locked in.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:53 AM

I just wished this whole hacking thing could be beneficial in the whole "Flash" department I got my hopes up with flash

Old 04-16-2010, 11:54 AM

I hope microsoft doesn't release a firmware update breaking this hack. I'd hate to cancel my Zune Pass.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:54 AM

The applications seem to be kinda slow, they take longer to exit out of them and the OS comes up slow as well

Old 04-16-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Um not exactly. It allows C++ in addition to XNA. Plus it allows access to wifi so now devs can make their own Twitter apps and/or any apps that require an internet connection. But you're right about flash... whoever thinks flash will make it onto a Zune is a little too optimistic.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u5 View Post
I just wished this whole hacking thing could be beneficial in the whole "Flash" department I got my hopes up with flash
flash will never happen, even if its possible, the browser would be A LOT slower due to the lack of memory. and the fact that it has a lack of memory, most webpages won't render properly as you may find that there are a lot of Xs in places where pictures are supposed to be loaded. i mean it would be awesome if someone can develop a browser that hardly uses any resources