android
Old 04-15-2010, 02:28 PM

Help Some Zune HD Inquiries

Hi, this is my first post a this forum.

Now is time for me to buy a new mp3 player and i was wondering if i should get a zune but i need some
answers first.
1- It is known that Zune only sells in usa (they dont even sell it in canada !) should this be a problem because i live in egypt.....can i download zune manager software thingy on my pc without trouble ?

2- Some members here mentioned some problems about the screen responsiveness like having to press several times to do something, is that the widespread issue or just isolated incidents ?
and also what is the screen if you have sweat on your fingers ?

3-Can ZHD play music by folder?

4-How is zune handling non HD radio ?

5-Is it true that MS added Xvid playback capabilities in the last firmware upgrade ?
does that mean i can play my .Avi videos without conversion ?

6-If i lose my sync cable can i use my brother's Ipod cable instead ?

7- Do u think i should wait few month for ZHD 2g or something ?

and finally what is ZHD compared overall to samsung P3 and cowon S9, i saw both reviews here on abi and they both suck in UI smoothness thats why iam almost decided on ZHD unless they fixed their UI by now.....

Last edited by Theta; 04-16-2010 at 01:28 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-15-2010, 02:57 PM

You should be able to install and use the Zune software just fine, but I doubt you will able to purchase songs from the Marketplace.

I have never personally had issues with screen responsiveness while using the device. Sweat on your fingers doesn't affect anything (if anything, a slight bit of moisture improves sensitivity).

I'm not sure what you mean "play by folder," all you have to do is add a folder of music to the Zune library and it will sync all of the albums and songs for you.

The Zune does fine with regular FM radio, sounds good.

Any Xvid file with Stereo audio will play fine without conversion. It works great!

No the iPod cable is completely different, you need a Zune cable. Any Zune cable will work.

It's not clear what, if any, plans Microsoft has for continuing the Zune HD with new versions. After just launch the 64GB SKU and a new firmware update, it's clear that Microsoft plans to continue to invest in the Zune HD. There are always new products in the pipeline from Microsoft and others, you just need to decide what you want and when you need it.

I'd definitely take the Zune HD over the Samsung P3 or Cowon S9 unless you really need FLAC support.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:53 PM

The screen responsiveness problem happens usually when the device comes back from standby. Is it annoying? Sometimes. But it's not a dealbreaker.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

You will be able to use the Zune Market Place OS, as long as you get Zune Passes off eBay and set all your region settings to US in Windows and then setup a US based Windows Live Account. You will get Music only - not TV or Movies on marketplace. Just Google setup Zune Market outside US and you will find instructions.

Outside US the radio is limited to analogue FM stereo, but it works fine.

Cheers.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambo622 View Post
I'd definitely take the Zune HD over the Samsung P3 or Cowon S9 unless you really need FLAC support.
...and mass storage (usb) support (transferring files to the device without the need of a dedicated software).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_Aus View Post
Outside US the radio is limited to analogue FM stereo, but it works fine.
I would dare to say that it works better than fine! Reception is even better than some dedicated (and expensive) Sony digital pocket radio receivers.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

For sure....I was more meaning that if you are listening to a 320kb or WMA song on the device, ans switch to the <analogue> FM Radio, you notice a reduction in audio quality/fidelity IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I love the device, its a bonus to be able to listen to a Football call on the radio on the Zune HD !

Old 04-16-2010, 01:27 AM

Thanks guys for answering.

As for Market Place/WiFi stuff i really dont care, i just want a good pmp.

Strider Aus you are obviously live in Australia can you please tell me if you had in problems setting up your device or if you had to download any "cracks" or something to get it to work.

there are few more questions i forgot to add :

8-Where is it made because i hate (Made in china) crap

9-Almost nobody ever talks about sound quality ...?

10- Can you delete stuff from the player ?

11-Can you Create/Modify playlists from the player ?

12-What is the battery life 256-320 kbps no net browsing ?

Last edited by Theta; 04-16-2010 at 01:34 AM.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:42 AM
Windows Phone Moderator

Theta, check your PM's. No hacks involved, I wouldn't try and interfere with a closed environment like the Zune HD....

8. Assembled in China and Hello from Seattle are stamped on the device
9. Sound quality is good to great. Many on these forums want a custom EQ to tweak further however.
10. Deleting can be done from the player or via the synced PC
11. I believe you can, however haven't played much with playlists yet. You can use the Smart DJ feature now from the player direct as of f/ware 4.5
12. Battery life is very good.

There is a sticky on the forums here for Zune HD that has a "Power User" guide or similar. May answer a number of your queries better...

Old 04-16-2010, 03:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta View Post
Thought I'd chime in here, since this is a major sticking point for me. On the player, you can add songs to the "Now Playing" playlist and save it, but you cannot move around the track order of any playlist (a substantial omission, in my view). You can remove songs from the "Now Playing" playlist, but only by way of deleting those songs from your device entirely (). In other words, manual control over playlists on the Zune HD sucks.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
8-Where is it made because i hate (Made in china) crap

Not everything that is made in China is crap....

Quote:
9-Almost nobody ever talks about sound quality ...?

Its one of the best sounding mp3 players. Mp3 format and sound quality are contradictory topics IMO. People who care so much about sound quality on the road, buy devices which support flac...maybe this is the reason that not so many people talk about sound quality for Zune HD...they don't care so much because a high mp3 reproduction quality is a standard with many premium players.

A custom eq wouldn't make sound quality better. Its just an algorithm that alters the output signal of the device via digital signal processing. (It doesn't alter the frequency responce of the hardware) If the user doesn't know how to use it properly (or its been built on a bad code with aliasing artifacts, "coloring" etc...) it can make the result much more worse actually. Sound quality has to do with the overall tonal character that the device gives to the output without ruining the original sound characteristics of tracks..."warmth", frequency separation, etc... eq inside a portable player, is just a software tool to adjust that character and it can really damage sound quality if its poorly designed or operated.

Quote:
10- Can you delete stuff from the player ?
Of course.

Quote:
Yes, you can...

Quote:
12-What is the battery life 256-320 kbps no net browsing ?
If you don't open the screen or reboot the device very often (just putting it into sleep mode), battery will last more than 15-17 hours...

Last edited by Zuniq; 04-16-2010 at 05:37 AM.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:34 AM

I own a cowon J3 (a few days now and still learning) which is the latest version of the cowon S9. I also have a cowon i9, Ipod and Sansa Click+. Although I don't years of experience and training in audio equipment I can safely say this. If you come to the Zune forum they will say Zune is the best same with IPOD, Cowon and Sony. Also Sound is amazingly subjective just like colors. My son wants nothing but bass and no matter how much I explain the finer points of separation and clarity he wants bass. He likes blue and I like brown and both are good choices.
Also a critical area which is overlooked related to sound quality is the headset you use. I have spent so much money in the never ending search for quality earbuds only to come to the conclusion that even a low cost over the ear headphones will sound better that $250 Buds. (For the most part).
No one can decide for you which player is the best because there are factors which only you have to weigh. Accessories, ease of use, EQ, size, capacity, battery life, cost, and breakage/lost regret. When I look at my collection I find myself grabbing the Sansa Clip+ for activities. $40, its light and will clip to you collar an you wouldn’t even know it was there. I has 4 8 16g but you can add up to a 32g SD card. It sound excellent and if it gets wet or falls off its not big loss. However it does not play art or videos.
If cost is not the issue I like my new J3 with the BSE sound boost and the multiple preset you can choose to adjust to what you like. Plus excellent battery all in a very light unit and to my ears the SQ is Cristal clear**. In fact sometimes I look over my shoulder in response to the spacious sound. My cowon I9 is a much smaller version of the S9/J3 but these are more costly than the clip+ so I choose where I use them like at work. IPOD is for the kids, durable with toys included and the sound is not on the level any the others. Plus I’ve learned from Adam to stay away for Apples.
Lastly the Zune is the Swiss army knife of the bunch, it does everything at par ** or a little less than all my other devices. Zune is feature packed with some restrictions FLAC & Drag an Drop. Many of these features are fun but over time you don’t’ use them much. For me the controls are better on the cowon as they a have external volume and track advance buttons. All this said I want to restate that the factors you need to look at is
1. What will I mostly use this for walking, running plane rides. Videos, games, in the car….
2. What are the must have features
3. How much do I want to spend.
**4. What are the best headphones I can get.

Then check the web and pull out the credit card and jump in life is to short to over think this.

Last edited by g.711; 04-17-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_Aus View Post
Theta, check your PM's. No hacks involved, I wouldn't try and interfere with a closed environment like the Zune HD....

Thanks a lot Strider, will give it a try. I thought it was one of those useless welcome to our forum messages so didnt notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuniq View Post
Not everything that is made in China is crap....
i agree but that makes me angry about american middle class

Quote:
Its one of the best sounding mp3 players. Mp3 format and sound quality are contradictory topics IMO. People who care so much about sound quality on the road, buy devices which support flac...maybe this is the reason that not so many people talk about sound quality for Zune HD...they don't care so much because a high mp3 reproduction quality is a standard with many premium players.
certainly hope so

Quote:

If you don't open the screen or reboot the device very often (just putting it into sleep mode), battery will last more than 15-17 hours...
LOL WADAFUX that's about half the advertised time !

Old 04-17-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
LOL WADAFUX that's about half the advertised time !
lol you should be able to get more like 30 hrs of audio, wireless off, backlight set to low, no rewinding/fast forwarding/fiddling with the player, etc.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.711 View Post
I own a cowon J3 (a few days now and still learning)
omgomgomg Cowon J3 is finally out ?

Quote:
I also have a cowon i9, Ipod and Sansa Click+.
Nice collection i think you have good taste in DAPs

Quote:
If you come to the Zune forum they will say Zune is the best same with IPOD, Cowon and Sony. Also Sound is amazingly subjective just like colors. My son wants nothing but bass and no matter how much I explain the finer points of separation and clarity he wants bass. He likes blue and I like brown and both are good choices.
I honestly dunno why people always say that ! You can say that sony cybershot xxx is the best digital camera in the market(in terms of MegaPixels and other techno stuff) or Toshiba model abc is the best lcd screen on the planet it just comes to price/features but when it comes to DAPs they go like well SQ is purely "subjective" which is weird to me that science hasn't found a mathematical way to measure quality of sound
but there probably is and i don't know about it

Quote:
Also a critical area which is overlooked related to sound quality is the headset you use. I have spent so much money in the never ending search for quality earbuds only to come to the conclusion that even a low cost over the ear headphones will sound better that $250 Buds. (For the most part).
I always use generic earbuds

Quote:
No one can decide for you which player is the best because there are factors which only you have to weigh. Accessories, ease of use, EQ, size, capacity, battery life, cost, and breakage/lost regret. When I look at my collection I find myself grabbing the Sansa Clip+ for activities. $40, its light and will clip to you collar an you wouldn’t even know it was there. I has 4 8 16g but you can add up to a 32g SD card. It sound excellent and if it gets wet or falls off its not big loss. However it does not play art or videos.
Clip + is very nice i hear, but is also nearly weightless screenless mp3 player which i dont need as my main player as i never work out nor jog

Quote:
If cost is not the issue I like my new J3
How much cost exactly are we talking about ?

Quote:
I’ve learned from Adam to stay away for Apples.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away .

Quote:
If cost is not the issue I like my new J3 with the BSE sound boost and the multiple preset you can choose to adjust to what you like. Plus excellent battery all in a very light unit and to my ears the SQ is Cristal clear**. In fact sometimes I look over my shoulder in response to the spacious sound. My cowon I9 is a much smaller version of the S9/J3 but these are more costly than the clip+ so I choose where I use them like at work. IPOD is for the kids, durable with toys included and the sound is not on the level any the others. Plus I’ve learned from Adam to stay away for Apples.
Lastly the Zune is the Swiss army knife of the bunch, it does everything at par ** or a little less than all my other devices. Zune is feature packed with some restrictions FLAC & Drag an Drop. Many of these features are fun but over time you don’t’ use them much. For me the controls are better on the cowon as they a have external volume and track advance buttons.

I really dont like cowon UIs so far. The I9 had that slided screen touch interface thingy !
and i find the S9 UI relly depressing dunno why all that gray color and laggy response just makes me want to kill myself.
As much as i hate to admit it i was tremendously impressed with the ZHD User Interface. It was really smooth and dynamic and how fast and clear the G Sensor kicked in which is why i want to get it in the first place cuz zhd makes Cowon S9, Samsung p3 and Nokia X6 (Phone) look like S*** frankly and that made me think they are not good players.

Quote:
1. What will I mostly use this for walking, running plane rides. Videos, games, in the car….
Walking => yes ,Planes=> No , Videos => maybe
Games=> Definitely no, i spent good money on desktop and PSP and online games to seek my MP3 silly games !
Car => Sure, when i buy one !
Quote:
2. What are the must have features
Good SQ , easy to use UI ,Drag and Drop maybe,good life time expectancy (maybe 4 years ?),small enough to fit in pocket , preferably not made in PRC
btw wat is J3 screen size compared to zune ?

Quote:
3. How much do I want to spend.
i accept that quality costs money, but not sony or new samsungs !

Quote:
4. What are the best headphones I can get.
hmm the one that comes with player

Thank you guys you are really great , and g.711 i hope you and your J3 to live happily ever after

Last edited by Theta; 04-17-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I honestly dunno why people always say that ! You can say that sony cybershot xxx is the best digital camera in the market(in terms of MegaPixels and other techno stuff) or Toshiba model abc is the best lcd screen on the planet it just comes to price/features but when it comes to DAPs they go like well SQ is purely "subjective" which is weird to me that science hasn't found a mathematical way to measure quality of sound
but there probably is and i don't know about it
It's a complicated question, due to the biological differences between everyone's ears and their connections to the brain. It's like asking science to evaluate how good music is. Of course, there will be a couple of absolutes (The Beatles, for example), but even those might not be liked by a couple few (which is perfectly fine, as long as it's for logical reasons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta
I've found earbuds to be extremely lacking in range due to their inability to form a tight seal with the ears (they also fall out easily). But everyone is different.

Quote:
I really dont like cowon UIs so far. The I9 had that slided screen touch interface thingy !
and i find the S9 UI relly depressing dunno why all that gray color and laggy response just makes me want to kill myself.
As much as i hate to admit it i was tremendously impressed with the ZHD User Interface. It was really smooth and dynamic and how fast and clear the G Sensor kicked in which is why i want to get it in the first place cuz zhd makes Cowon S9, Samsung p3 and Nokia X6 (Phone) look like S*** frankly and that made me think they are not good players.
As of late, I've heard Cowon has stepped up the UI on their players with the recent updates, but the beauty of the Cowon players is that you can customize the UI with custom flavors.
It's the timeless debate, power vs. simplicity.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Clip + is very nice i hear, but is also nearly weightless screenless mp3 player which i dont need as my main player as i never work out nor jog
Small point: The Clip+ is not screenless. You must be mistaking it for its fruit-flavored competitor.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Small point: The Clip+ is not screenless. You must be mistaking it for its fruit-flavored competitor.
Quote:
The "nearly" adjective applies both to the weight and the screen. i think it has 3 lines of blue lcd display which is not good for me because i wear glasses
But otherwise i hear that sansa makes the second best mp3 players in the market only second to cowon's.......

Last edited by Theta; 04-18-2010 at 05:16 AM.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:52 AM

omgomgomg Cowon J3 is finally out ?
http://www.exportprive.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=0 &keywords=cowon+j3&x=18&y=11

"SQ is purely "subjective" which is weird to me that science hasn't found a mathematical way to measure quality of sound
Everyone hear differently you can’t have the same sound setup for jazz vs hip hoip or rock
The instruments focus is different.

Then you are loosing out just like a HD TV and no Home Theater system.

Clip + is very nice i hear, but is also nearly weightless
That’s my point everyone has their own needs and uses. The clip+ is a listen only device no frills small two color
screen but it gets the job done you cant beat it for the gym and as I said if you break a $40 player it does not cause the pain of a $200 player. I toss my clip+ in the gym bag and im ready. Zune does everything so im more careful with it.

How much cost exactly are we talking about ?
Zune hd 16g $199 Cowon j3 8g** $244 (** you can add an SD card so this is unlimited.)

I really dont like cowon UIs so far
The new J3 ui can mimic Zune or Android uUI http://video.google.co.uk/videosearc...&hl=en&tab=wv#

btw wat is J3 screen size compared to zune ?
I guess today all PMPs are about the same Samsung, Zune, Cowon they all fit the pocket with a 3.3 screen five or take.

Thank you guys you are really great , and g.711 i hope you and your J3 to live happily ever after

Don’t get me wrong I haven’t thrown out my Zune. I use both. I’m not tiring to sway anyone, so please dont flame me. I just don’t like apples. The start of the post asked for opinions and I tried to provide a balance view from my perspective. We all have or will be feeling the same way sooner or later. Note my last coment the Zune does it all!

Last edited by g.711; 04-18-2010 at 12:57 AM.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Don’t get me wrong I haven’t thrown out my Zune. I use both. I’m not tiring to sway anyone, so please dont flame me. I just don’t like apples. The start of the post asked for opinions and I tried to provide a balance view from my perspective. We all have or will be feeling the same way sooner or later. Note my last coment the Zune does it all!
lol man thats not the same advice you gave to that guy here

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=53761

and about the flaming man lol you need to seriuosly lighten up as i will not flame against anyone. i am just happy that this forum give me opportunity to meet people who know much more about mp3's than i'll ever know and i very much appreciate your views and advice since you dont have to reply to my thread anyway but i am glad you did that.

About J3 screen size the thing looks HUGE and i think it will be difficult to put in one's pocket unlike the zhd which rests more comfortably in palms .
either that or the koreans have really small hands lol no racism there

Old 04-18-2010, 02:38 PM

IN that post the question was diffent
Hello there !

I'm getting interested in this brand for the sound process known to be quite efficient. I also read that the J3 has been official zed and wondered if it's worth waiting for the J3 to come out or choosing the S9 (since the J3 is more or less a S9 with another build enclosure according to the news..)..”

Yes If someone ask me which PMP to get I would say the Cowon J3. But this post asked about the features as Theda was tiring to make a decision. In respect to the Zune Group I’m not gonna come here and say Zune is crap. I like my Zune, I like having both cause I always have wires in my ears. I love the purely unique HD Radio,WiFi and the Cowon guys think I’m nuts to making such a big deal out of it.
I have four players one for gym click+, one stays at the office cowon i9 and my J3 and Zune team for everything else.