android
Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 AM

Unhappy Multiple problems with Mozaic

So, I just bought a Creative Zen Mosaic. The first problem I had was that it wasn't connecting properly to my computer. The screen kept on shutting down, turning back on and shutting down after a few seconds. The device also showed up improperly as an empty portable device, and kept on reconnecting and disconnecting. Changing USB ports didn't help. After a while of messing with the cable I had that somehow fixed and copied some music into the player and disconnected it from my computer. Then I find out the battery's not even half loaded after four hours or charging, which is... weird.

The next actual problem is that for some reason the MP3 player doesn't read my ID3 tags correctly. Only the files that weren't encoded with LAME were recognized, and everything else showed up as unrecognized. How am I supposed to (re)tag the files? The media player I'm using, foobar2000, shows both ID3v1 and ID3v2 in the tag types for my files.

Thirdly, the problem with the constant powering down of the screen and the device constantly connecting and disconnecting with my comp returned. and this time I couldn't find a way to fix it. I'll try rebooting my computer and report back. I still need an answer to the second question in any case.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I had a Mozaic for a little while, used, and had none of the problems you mentioned. So my advice is to return the player and choose something else, as that unit clearly has problems.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:20 AM

I fixed the problem with the connection by reorganizing my USB cable mess. Apparently the unit didn't like being connected to the computer through a hub and two extension cables. It was either the hub or one of the extension cables that caused that. (But why did it work yesterday? o_O)

Anyway, I still have to retag my MP3 files. I have confirmed that it does not support tags generated by LAME nor does it support ones generated by Foobar2k. What program should I use to retag?

Old 04-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ is probably the most popular re-tagger. But I don't understand why the LAME tags or those generated by foobar aren't recognized by your player.

LAME tags should be read by every player, I know mine are. What program generated them for you?

Old 04-13-2010, 11:35 AM

Uh... LAME? Well, if LAME doesn't generate tags, then it was Exact Audio Copy, which I use to rip CDs.

Could be that EAC generates some weird version of the ID3 tags unsupported by the player's firmware. Trying mp3tag now.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esalaka View Post
Uh... LAME? Well, if LAME doesn't generate tags, then it was Exact Audio Copy, which I use to rip CDs.

Could be that EAC generates some weird version of the ID3 tags unsupported by the player's firmware.
Trying mp3tag now.
That could very well be. You can change all those settings in EAC, for future use, if you can find out what works with the player. I use EAC too.

That's the mystery though, finding out what works with that particular player.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:13 PM

There seems to be no reason for the tags not to work - mp3tag reports all of the files use ID3v1, some use ID3v2.3 and some use ID3v2.4. It seems like all the working files use v2.3, but only the ones that were not ripped with EAC work. I mean, what the hell?

Old 04-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I always remove the v1 tags, myself. Just out of curiosity, what capacity Mozaic is it , and how much was it? And do these same music files play on other players?

Old 04-13-2010, 12:21 PM

4G capasity - and to be exact I think it's Mozaic EZ300 (Eg. mainly looks different)

These music files do play, that's no problem, it's just the ID3 tags that fail miserably

I just realized - it could be that the tags were UTF-16 instead of Latin-1 or UTF-8. Trying to convert them to see if that works.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
4G capasity - and to be exact I think it's Mozaic EZ300 (Eg. mainly looks different)

These music files do play, that's no problem, it's just the ID3 tags that fail miserably
ok, EZ300 is a newer variant than mine was. I don't remember off the top of my head what the difference was, but if it's giving you this much aggravation, I still wouldn't rule out returning it and getting something different.

There's definitely better players out there.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:01 PM

I'm just passing through researching Creative players, but I did have a bit of knowledge that might be useful assuming this guy still has a Creative player:

Foobar2k uses ID3 v2.4 by default, which a lot of players don't like. My Sansa Clip doesn't like 2.4 either- it requires 2.3. Is it possible you were using ID3 v2.4 with EAC also?

One problem when retagging, though, is that often times the old tags won't be deleted, just added to. Try stripping the tag completely (MP3Tag allows this I believe) and retagging.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:51 AM

Yup, I still have it and it works pretty much flawlessly. I just use Mp3Tag to retag my files now, since ReplayGain (Pretty much the same as Mp3Gain, but integrated in foobar2k) writes ID3 v2.4 tags. The procedure I'm using to convert CDs to Mp3s and copying them to the player is EAC -> Foobar2k (ReplayGain) -> Mp3Tag -> Foobar2k (Copy)

The USB connection also started working. Dunno what was wrong with that. And I did use v2.3 with EAC - it just wrote UTF-8 or Latin-1 tags instead of the UTF-16 encoding the player uses.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
...SNIPPED...And I did use v2.3 with EAC - it just wrote UTF-8 or Latin-1 tags instead of the UTF-16 encoding the player uses.
Yup, that'll do it.

And AFAIK, widespread ID3 v2.4 use/compatibility ain't here yet. I always only use mp3Tag, ID3v2.3 and actually I use both v1 and v2 tags.

So glad you sorted out the issue. And as far as USB hubs, I have zero luck with the few I have tried - ridiculous as this should not be the case as far as I understand.

cheers and enjoy!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-05-2011, 05:26 PM

Just a heads up, it seems like the new version of the Mozaic ( Ez300) is really like 1 step forward and 4 steps back when compared to the older mozaic. My original mozaic has no problems, and also the older version has a better power/hold switch, and also goes up the 16gb

Old 09-17-2011, 11:45 AM

Hello. I've just recently bought this player too, and this play by tag annoyed me so much, that i have decided to write a simple program to generate playlist for each folder, so i can play my music like in old Zen Stone i had before.
If you want, you can download this program here:
http://sidzanuff.platinum.edu.pl/PlaylistGenerator.exe
You just click Generate, then point it to the Music folder on your device, and then to playlists folder, and after few moments you'll have playlist for each folder. I wrote it just now, so it may contain some bugs, if you find one, just email me: sidzanuff at gmail.