android
Old 04-13-2010, 10:32 AM

Default Monster ICarPlay for Zune HD Review

I received my Monster ICarPlay FM transmitter in the mail yesterday. I didn't expect much as I only paid $14.99 with free shipping. I mainly wanted it so that I don't have separate charging and audio cables plugged into my Zune 32HD. It works about as expected. It obviously doesn't sound as good as the auxiliary jack but it does work. It's fuzzy at times but I haven't had a lot of time to find the best station with the best sound quality yet. I've only tried it in my 1997 Infinity which gets poor radio reception as is. I have yet to try it in my 2009 Acadia. For $14.99 I can't complain. I think the Monster site has a list price of $80.00!! Definitely not worth that. If I can't get it to work a little better I'm probably going to open up the FM transmitter portion and convert it to an auxiliary output if possible.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you care about sound quality, FM transmitter is not the way to go. For older cars, I would go with a cassette adapter. They have better sound quality and you don't have to worry about interference or signal. For newer car, I would do just plug it into the auxiliary input. Your Acadia should have a direct auxiliary input.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
If you care about sound quality, FM transmitter is not the way to go. For older cars, I would go with a cassette adapter. They have better sound quality and you don't have to worry about interference or signal. For newer car, I would do just plug it into the auxiliary input. Your Acadia should have a direct auxiliary input.
Thanks for the input(no pun intended). I've got an Alpine CVA-1004 TV head unit with an expansion module which allows me to plug my Zune right into it. I've done this already. I just wanted to eliminate having two different plugs (charging and audio) sticking out of the Zune. I've already used the Aux 3.5mm input in the Acadia. For $15 I just figured I'd try this so I don't have extra wires hanging all over the place. I'm probably just going to convert the FM modulator portion to an 3.5mm output. This way I'll have just the "clean looking" Sync cable plugged in for charging and audio. I'll just have to also plug in the 3.5mm cable to the car stereo.

Tags
fm transmitter, monster