android
Old 04-14-2010, 09:17 AM

"Not too far away"
=) =D

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-14-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
It's a knife that cuts both ways. Facebook was delayed, so we delayed the release date until we were happy with the quality. Zune HD 64GB was early, so we got the product out there earlier than we said we would.

Cheers, Dave.
Oh, trust me, i understand. I'm just stating what i hope doesn't happen again.. I'd rather have delays, and quality apps then have terrible apps that come on time.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:47 PM

Steve Ballmer might use the MS "prima nocti" policy for any leaked information about the forthcoming apps for the Zune HD. I did like the last firmware update though even if no apps came alongside with it. Everthing seems a little crisper and snappier.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrakerone View Post
I'd rather have delays, and quality apps then have terrible apps that come on time.
Am I the only one who wants quality apps that come on time? Is it so difficult?

Old 04-14-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuniq View Post
Am I the only one who wants quality apps that come on time? Is it so difficult?
Of course not, but if something isn't done or not ready then a delay is better then getting crap.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

In the good old days, when something wasn't done to specs and on schedule someone got fired. A delay by a young programmer's inexperience didn't get him/her fired the first time it happened, but it usually did the second time.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
In the good old days, when something wasn't done to specs and on schedule someone got fired. A delay by a young programmer's inexperience didn't get him/her fired the first time it happened, but it usually did the second time.
I think that bugs were always there for every company, but, in some other companies there is greater responsibility and strictly scheduled events. Yes, this doesn't sound good for Microsoft, but playing with a "loose schedule" as a rule, doesn't sound professional too. I find more appropriate to publish a specific release date (even many months before) but have the release ready by that date.

Anyway, i don't think that Microsoft gives enough of its resources to Zune. They care more about their new mobile OS. This might change in the next year, but currently it doesn't seem to be inside the center of their interests..its more like a "side project" IMO.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Software is much more complicated today than it used to be. Today's games and applications were simply not possible in the good old days (are you talking about those punch cards?)

Old 04-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No. I missed punchcards (but just barely). BASIC was include on almost anything you bought, and sometimes writing your own program in it was the best way to get your PC to do something useful for you. Assembly language code snippits were easy to find. Electronics never needed firmware updates, and simply worked as advertised out-of-the-box. Games was where programming money was (and probably still is) and 3D gaming showed up more than 20 years ago. Missing a seasonal version update meant millions lost, and companies that couldn't keep innovating got swept under the carpet.

Yes. Software can be far more complicated now thanks to larger memory, faster processors, device hooks (like g-sensors), and so on. We're still talking a pocket PMP though, and code for apps like email and a youtube player should be public domain by now.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
We're still talking a pocket PMP though, and code for apps like email and a youtube player should be public domain by now.
You are right about that, but i believe that they don't get enough money for these Zune HD applications and they have other priorities (probably not about Zune HD)

Old 04-15-2010, 07:50 PM

I for one hardly use the apps we have anymore except for Facebook and occasionally PGR or Auidosurf on a lazy afternoon. New apps would be great, don't get me wrong, but it's just not a deal breaker anymore, and it never was for me.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:48 PM

My iPod friend ask me today if there was new apps for my ZuneHD... I said no... Then he said Microsoft fails, lol

Old 04-15-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
My iPod friend ask me today if there was new apps for my ZuneHD... I said no... Then he said Microsoft fails, lol
Sounds like master of thought your friend...

Old 04-15-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
Ask you friend if the iPod Touch got a radio that don't cost $30 or require wifi yet.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syst3m View Post
Ask you friend if the iPod Touch got a radio that don't cost $30 or require wifi yet.
HD Radio better yet

Old 04-16-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartex View Post
HD Radio better yet
Ζune HD radio reception is exceptional for a portable device! "HD" concept is just a gimmick IMO...

Old 04-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Apps are irrelivent until you find some you start to depend on. Once you become reliant on an app or two it is very hard to move to another platform unless it has similar apps. Email is something I rely on. I don't expect an email app on a device with no WiFi. When the device supports apps AND has WiFi I have to downgrade it if it doesn't at least have an email app.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:28 AM

Yes, the apps I am waiting for are an E-mail App and a Youtube App. However, the device sounds great and music is what I use it for. +News Podcasts from MSNBC, Discovery Channel and NASA/ESA.

I am around WiFi 24/7 and this device replaced my CellPhone.. literally.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:47 AM

My hope is that if there is to be an email app, it will be part of the firmware and not a software app. And if it is part of the firmware, it likely won't be released with the next bunch of apps but instead be part of whenever the next firmware release is. That's my hope anyway

Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 AM

It'd be great if the Social bit were upgraded so we can view and send messages on the device, rather than being required to view it on our PCs. That would make it much more valuable and usable. In fact, upgrade it to synch with a zune.net e-mail address using our Zune IDs, and make it a real mail account so we can send/receive mail there.