android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 04-12-2010, 11:05 PM

Default Should I get a 64GB Zune HD given my situation?

I'm in the market for a new mp3 player. I've had a 32GB Creative Zen for the last 2 years and have been satisfied, but I now need more space and want a touch screen player.

I would be using this only for listening to music. I have a Motorola Droid so I already have all I need for apps and mobile web/videos/etc. I would use the droid for music too, but 16GB (or possibly 32GB with a bigger microsd card) is just too small. My library is about 50GB when encoded in V0 from FLAC rips. I've got most of it to fit on my Zen by converting it to V2 and excluding some stuff, but that's a pain to maintain and there's always new music I'm finding.

My primary use would be in the car (via aux, docked to dash) and at work (office job). I have a Sansa Clip+ with just a workout playlist for running/lifting, so I won't need the Zune for that.

I briefly had a 120GB Zune but got rid of it because it was a brick and the screen was painful to look at when compared to my crisp clear Droid. I also didn't quite like the navigation, but that was probably more of being unfamiliar and used to the Zen. I recently/impulsively bought a 32GB HD when Dell had them for $200, but fortunately did not open it before they announced the 64GB days later, and sold it to my friend.

There is no immediate need for me to get the device. I'll probably wait until the 64GB drops in price a little (though it may not drop as low as the $300 price point I'd want anytime soon). I know there are rumors of the HD2/Win7 phone/etc, so I realize it might be beneficial for me to wait a little longer.

So, would you recommend the Zune HD for someone that only needs an mp3 player and nothing else? I read the "if you had a 2nd chance" thread and a lot of people said no, but that was because the lack of apps and support. If you don't recommend a Zune HD, then what else would you recommend? Again my main needs are 64GB+ (flash memory preferred), touch screen, and a slim/sleek device.

Thanks

Last edited by DamageInc; 04-14-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My top three picks for PMP are the Zune HD, Cowon S9 and Sony Walkman X-Series as they all have at least very good SQ and all around excellent PMPs. If sound quality is your top priority, the Walkman is for you. If your top priority are files support, then the Cowon S9 is for you.

If you want an all around PMP, the Zune HD is for you. Although the Zune HD sound quality is below that of the Sony Walkman, it is still excellent, it's interface is top notch, excellent built quality (probably the best), excellent OLED display, and excellent all around. However, audio and videos support are still somewhat limited despite the Zune HD recently getting Xvid. I notice that you have tons of flac and the Cowon S9 can play flac.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 PM

Sound quality is important (one of the many reasons I'm not interested in an iTouch) but the interface and ease of use are also important. File support doesn't matter too much, it will just be used for mp3's. While most of my library is FLAC, IMO its too expensive to use as a mobile format. Ease of syncing is also important. I've been using MediaMonkey to sync my Zen, but it has its share of bugs and I just want to simply sync my whole library without having to think about it. My brief experience with the Zune software went well, though I would probably not be using it as my desktop media player since I usually listen to my FLAC via headphones or my home theater.

Last edited by DamageInc; 04-12-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

it seems to fit most of your needs

Old 04-13-2010, 12:33 AM

Since you have "no immediate need" for a new device and the only functionality you care about is music playback,
here is what you should do.

Buy this: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microS...lp_edpp_ttl_ex

Load that into your Sansa Clip+

That should tide you over until the better devices are released later this year.
And even if you don't buy those new devices, the older 64gb Zune HD will be cheaper.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwheel View Post
Since you have "no immediate need" for a new device and the only functionality you care about is music playback,
here is what you should do.

Buy this: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microS...lp_edpp_ttl_ex

Load that into your Sansa Clip+

That should tide you over until the better devices are released later this year.
And even if you don't buy those new devices, the older 64gb Zune HD will be cheaper.
I've got an 8GB card in my 4GB Clip+ right now. 12GB is more than enough for my workout needs, but there'd be no point in maxing it out with bigger cards since it would still be smaller than the Zen, which I can still get by with. I know the Zen also has a regular SD expansion, but that doesn't seemlessly integrate into the main memory like the clip. Besides, the clip screen is too small and hard to quickly navigate while driving. That's why I'm interested in a touch player with a large screen... easy to see and control. I have a 20-30min drive to work everyday so the driving aspect is very important.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 AM

I hate to do this but im gonna recommend the I touch over the zune for an in vehicle player, when its docked on the dash its easier to browse the artists and songs on the touch. The zune however looks better on the dash with the artist view. I never really noticed any sound difference between the two playing over the car speakers. Then again im listening to mp3s at 320kbs so the sound quality really aint that great to begin with. I pretty much just use the zune as my player for listening to with my ear buds while at work. For just a daily use mp3 player its hard to beat the HD, its thin and light and has pretty good battery life. I really dont think youll be dissapointed with the zune.
Players: 1g 16gb Ipod Touch, 2g 16gb Ipod touch, 3g 32gb Ipod Touch, 6g 160gb Ipod classic, 2g 1gb ipod shuffle, 1g 30gb Zune, 16gb Zune hd, 1gb Creative Zen, Sony MP3 mini disk player/recorder, Sansa c130.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholybull View Post
I never really noticed any sound difference between the two playing over the car speakers. Then again im listening to mp3s at 320kbs so the sound quality really aint that great to begin with.
But 320Kbps is the highest quality for mp3s. Or are you trying to say that mp3s are garbage?

Old 04-13-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressstart View Post
But 320Kbps is the highest quality for mp3s. Or are you trying to say that mp3s are garbage?
mp3s, which are what I mainly use, don't have that great of sound quality. I mean, for every day, portable use I think that they are fine; but for true music listening, there are many others I would rather use.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressstart View Post
It's not just the bitrate that counts, but which encoder you use can make a difference too.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholybull View Post
I hate to do this but im gonna recommend the I touch over the zune for an in vehicle player, when its docked on the dash its easier to browse the artists and songs on the touch. The zune however looks better on the dash with the artist view. I never really noticed any sound difference between the two playing over the car speakers. Then again im listening to mp3s at 320kbs so the sound quality really aint that great to begin with. I pretty much just use the zune as my player for listening to with my ear buds while at work. For just a daily use mp3 player its hard to beat the HD, its thin and light and has pretty good battery life. I really dont think youll be dissapointed with the zune.
I disagree I find the zune very easy while driving a car.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorguy View Post
mp3s, which are what I mainly use, don't have that great of sound quality. I mean, for every day, portable use I think that they are fine; but for true music listening, there are many others I would rather use.
+1

I also want to add for the OP, that it WON'T be easy to sync and manage your flac collection with Zune software (it doesn't recognize flac files)...so, you won't use any of the Zune software features with your flac files and you will have to find a way to filter, pick, copy and transcode files outside Zune software, and then add them to a Zune monitored folder and sync them to Zune HD.

I filter my entire flac library (with foobar2000) to have only the tracks i have rated with more than 3 stars (i do this because it saves me time)...then i copy these files into a separated folder, transcoding them with dbpoweramp to mp3 (foobar encoder doesn't support cover art from flac to mp3, so i use dbpoweramp). After that procedure the folder is still very big for my 32gb Zune HD, so i use a random file copier and set it to fill the Zune monitored directory with random mp3 files that i have previously filtered, copied and transcoded until the final size gets to 20gb. Then i open Zune software, wait for it to list all the new tracks and then i sync the device....all the procedure takes about 4-5 hours...it sucks...

It could be much faster/easier with flac support inside the SOFTWARE.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Zune HD looks good for you. Keep in mind that the Zune HD only supports WMA and MP3 formats, if this is an issue, then go with the Cowon S9.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 04-13-2010, 04:32 PM

zune hd also supports aac

Old 04-13-2010, 05:01 PM

As much as I'm into audio quality, I find it amazing that some find a 320kbps mp3 to be that objectionable. You guys must have some seriously high end hardware.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky6 View Post
As much as I'm into audio quality, I find it amazing that some find a 320kbps mp3 to be that objectionable. You guys must have some seriously high end hardware.
No, most as just full of shit. 320kbps mp3's are transparent to 99% of all people who listen to them (for portable use), unless the encoder used is crap. LAME V~0 VBR solves this issue, and the encodes are excellent.

Audiophile bullshittalk,............................

Old 04-13-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Audiophile bullshittalk,............................
Be careful with your words here...are you a teenager?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuniq View Post
Be careful with your words here...are you a teenager?
No, I'm an adult who's tired of idiots professing to be audiophiles, and always complaining that anything but lossless is garbage - hence bullshit.

That would mean I'm on your side BTW.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
LAME V~0 VBR solves this issue, and the encodes are excellent.
I agree, this is what I have for my home library.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
No, I'm an adult who's tired of idiots professing to be audiophiles, and always complaining that anything but lossless is garbage - hence bullshit.

That would mean I'm on your side BTW.
I don't think that i have seen extreme 'audiophile' comments in here...I believe that everyone here can understand the importance of each format. I strongly support flac but i never thought myself as an audiophile...i haven't got golden wires and $$$$$ of equipment..anyway, IMO its not appropriate to think anyone in this community as an audiophile...audiophiles don't listen to music on the road and when they have to, they buy devices like a Hifiman PMP...an interesting concept, but also stupid...