android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > iRiver

Old 04-12-2010, 01:21 AM

Default Should I wait? Iriver Smart/Sony X

When my Iriver Clix Gen2 bricked, I went looking for another mp3 player to replace it. I wanted something that was as featured packed as my late Clix. So I narrowed my choices down to the Sony Walkman X (16GB).

What I like about it was that it has:
-Wifi internet browsing
-Youtube App
-Slacker App looks cool
-Sound is top notch
-Fast and responsive controls

What I dont like is:
-Around $300
-INternet Browser is like a phone's
-Not as customizable as the Clix in terms of menus

I was looking on Ebay and I found that Iriver is selling a player called the Smart.
Never heard of it before but after some research it has been out since January in Korean.
-It was "full wifi internet browsing experiance"
- and everything else a PMP/DMB player would have.

It looks good, the Smart. But my research tells me that they are planning on releasing the Smart in the US, but I dont know when.

What do you guys think? Should I go ahead and spend $300 on the Smart on Ebay? Or just go with the Sony X? I was also considering the P3 due to it's better menu design. Im basically looking for a player that's packed with features, fast, Wifi would be nice, tactical button for volume, customizable menu or at least back ground.

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Banned

I've got an X and I don't use its wi-fi, but the Slacker and Youtube apps are meant to be pretty good.

Just as a music player it's the best thing I've ever tried. I have 4350 songs on mine and finding any one of them is fast and seamless; it also does a stellar job of sorting podcasts and video is good if you're patient enough to convert Xvid files (I'm not - I just watch those on my netbook).

Old 04-12-2010, 03:05 PM

In terms of it's wifi, if I wanted to look up something on google, its like a phone browser basically right?

Does the X come with a converter program for the video? If so, what formats does it convert easily?

Old 04-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Banned

It's netfront so it's like a basic phone browser.

It comes with a software CD which I didn't bother with. It plays wmvs and mp4 ok - things like Xvid need converting, but this is easy with a free program like Any Video Converter.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:12 PM

Well if its like my phone browser, then I can probably use it to google stuff and probably check my facebook every now and then right?

Oh, so its just about as bitchy as any PMP. Doesnt sound too bad. Is there anything that you dont like about it?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:43 PM

Not all of the Iriver smart hd's have wifi, only the higher end models do, and those probably will cost you more than a sony x. Not too much is known about the Iriver smart, but from what I've read one of it's major selling points seems to be video compatibility; it's one of the only players to support mkv files. If you don't care much for watching videos without conversion, then there isn't too much reason to get the Iriver. Also, Iriver's more recent player haven't had stellar sound quality, and overall quality has also been a bit iffy so if you're seriously considering the Iriver it might be a smart choice to wait until a little more is known about the player.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:17 PM

I recently got the iriver Smart HD. Nice player and iriver have done a good job, sound quality is nice and yes the player does play 720p HD video.

I have tested MKV HD, WMV HD and MP4 HD and all work fine. I think the player may only support 2GB files though.

Here is a video I done today with the cover flow on show.

Last edited by kobashi; 08-15-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:37 PM

How's the internet browser? Is there any way to get line out?

Old 08-25-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythe View Post
How's the internet browser? Is there any way to get line out?
I got the EDU version mate so no wi-fi. How do I see about the line out features?

Old 08-29-2010, 05:23 AM

Was considering getting a Spinn finally til i saw this thread.
Havent seen this anywhere on sale.
Only via ebay?.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijuu View Post
Only via ebay?.
I got mine from gmarket.

www.allpmp.com stock the 8GB and 16GB also.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijuu View Post
Only via ebay?.
I just got one from Ownta.com and they threw in a very nice gift because I waited an extra week for them to get the 16GB version back in stock. No wi-fi here though.

I bought it from Ownta vs eBay because in my 9yrs experience with eBay I've seen shops open and close over night and the guy that promises you can send it back to him if there are any problems during the warranty period may have totally gone MIA in 6mths...too risky.

Ownta.com clearly lists out what their processes are for foreign(US) customers and that process made me feel very comfortable. Device got here(Brooklyn, NY) in a more than reasonable time frame.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:59 AM

If anyone needs new themes you can get them from Iriver.

http://product.iriver.co.kr/product/...x?iCode=328148

Old 10-11-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobashi View Post
If anyone needs new themes you can get them from Iriver.

http://product.iriver.co.kr/product/...x?iCode=328148
I'm getting a broken link...
@Kobashi...how do you like this player? I got one about a week ago and it's a little different than what I expected. It does seem to be a nice player, maybe just not for me.

The sometimes unresponsive UI is killing me especially with the J3 being so much more responsive.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Tomorrow View Post
I'm getting a broken link...
@Kobashi...how do you like this player? I got one about a week ago and it's a little different than what I expected. It does seem to be a nice player, maybe just not for me.

The sometimes unresponsive UI is killing me especially with the J3 being so much more responsive.
That link should work dude.

I like the player, supports my video needs and the music support is cool also. The player does have some major bugs though that need fixing with a FW update.

And yes sometimes the UI can be slow.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Anywhere you can download an english version of the Smart HD's user manual? I'd like to read more about it before getting one.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Anywhere you can download an english version of the Smart HD's user manual? I'd like to read more about it before getting one.
http://www.iriver.co.kr/service/cs_d...pName=SMART+HD

Old 10-24-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Awesome kobashi! They wouldn't happen to have one in English as well would they?

Also have you had any luck with the theme? I found what seemed to be two, dl'ed and dropped in folder but my K1 reads it's empty.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Tomorrow View Post
Awesome kobashi! They wouldn't happen to have one in English as well would they?

Also have you had any luck with the theme? I found what seemed to be two, dl'ed and dropped in folder but my K1 reads it's empty.
sorry for late reply. That is the only place I know where to get them mate. Also yeah I have had luck with the themes.

when you download them do not extract the rar/zip file, I did that first and it did not work. Instead just place the rar/zip files directly into the themes folder in internal memory.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
sorry for late reply. That is the only place I know where to get them mate. Also yeah I have had luck with the themes.

when you download them do not extract the rar/zip file, I did that first and it did not work. Instead just place the rar/zip files directly into the themes folder in internal memory.
What I found out that's fairly helpful is that the zipped themes do not work unless you hit "option" which then gives you the choice of changing the theme.

Tags
iriver, p3, samsung, smart, sony