android
Old 04-11-2010, 08:41 PM

Default shuffling playback without shuffling the playlist

Is it possible to have a shuffled playback order without shuffling the playlist? I have an e260 and I stuck an 8GB SD card into the player so that i'd be able to have, effectively, about 12GB of storage space, and I had no problem making a playlist that has music from both the internal memory and the removable drive. the only problem is that rockbox takes the playlist I had ordered the way I wanted it and shuffles the files around randomly, making it impossible to find a particular track without groping through the file/database for it and manually adding it to be played next.

Is there any way to make it so that instead of destroying my pristine playlist, rockbox just does what every other music player on the face of the planet does, and simply randomly selects files each time?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

I don't really understand your question. If you have it set to random, you should get a random track each time unless you browse and select a specific track. What are you expecting to happen if you load a bunch of songs and set it to random?

Old 04-11-2010, 10:17 PM

alright, let's say this is the playlist I load onto the player:
Code:
01. Aerosmith - Janie's Got A Gun
02. Beatles - Help!
03. Canned Heat - On The Road Again
04. Dire Straits - Walk Of Life
05. Electric Light Orchestra - Livin' Thing
06. Foo Fighters - Times Like These
07. Grand Funk Railroad - Bad Time
08. Hollies - Bus Stop
09. INXS - Kiss The Dirt (Falling Down The Mountain)
10. Jim Croce - Time In A Bottle
alphabetized by artist then song title.
when I select that playlist with shuffle set, the playlist is changed to something like this:
Code:
01. INXS - Kiss The Dirt (Falling Down The Mountain)
02. Aerosmith - Janie's Got A Gun
03. Dire Straits - Walk Of Life
04. Foo Fighters - Times Like These
05. Jim Croce - Time In A Bottle
06. Canned Heat - On The Road Again
07. Grand Funk Railroad - Bad Time
08. Hollies - Bus Stop
09. Electric Light Orchestra - Livin' Thing
10. Beatles - Help!
Then it plays tracks 1-10 in order.

What I want it to do is leave the playlist in the original order, and select a random track to play each time, ie, it might start at track 7, then 3, then 4, then 9, then perhaps 7 again, then 10, etc.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Thats not really feasible because the tracks have to actually be buffered into memory ahead of time (streaming them from disk wastes quite a lot of power). So when you set it to random it immediately has to randomize the tracks so that it knows that to buffer.

Is there any reason you want to do it this way? It seems like simply reloading an unshuffled version of the playlist would do the same thing.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Is there any reason you want to do it this way? It seems like simply reloading an unshuffled version of the playlist would do the same thing.
Because I have hundreds of tracks, some of which in internal memory, and the rest on a flash drive. I'd like to keep a single, alphabetized list of ALL of them so that I can select specific tracks without groping about for them in the database or file browser.
I don't see what you mean by 'reloading an unshuffled version' unless you mean disabling shuffle, going back to the playlist, and then finding the track.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:52 AM

I do see what you are asking about. I actually prefer groping around the file system for my songs as my file system is better organized and faster to navigate than scrolling a huge current playlist. However, I think I would prefer your method of skipping around the playlist as you created it instead of shuffling it.

The playlist could be buffered since the random number order is pre-determined when you shuffle. Perhaps this could be an option.. shuffle playlist or play randomly.