android
Old 11-14-2006, 12:08 AM

Default Frozen (dead?) player

Hello,
I purchased my Vision:M less than two months ago.

Yesterday I tried to connect it to my computer but the screen went black and the blue light on the on/off/hold switch stayed on permamently.

Tried: pushing the reset button, waiting until the battery drained, etc. nothing worked.

Can somebody help me with this?

Thanks
R.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-23-2006, 12:15 PM

Fellow Creative user, I too have a Zen Vision:M 30GB Black. It has been working perfect for several months now. Suddenly, the screen went black. I see nothing, yet the power is on and I can see the blue light coming from the hold/on/off switch. I try resetting, it does not do anything. I try charging, resetting, and a million different combinations of whatever I can do. Nothing works. I am currently using my father's until I call Creative. From what I've heard so far, what we need to do, is call Creative, and "RMA" the Vision:M, whatever that means. Basically, we send them a copy of our receit and a $25 check. They send a new Vision:M or replace a hard drive or whatever they need to do to get it working. What I can only worry about is the fact that there is absolutely no way to backup all 1000+ songs that are on the player itself (i'm guessing the same for you). Let's try giving Creative a call.

Old 11-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

can you access your ZVM when you plug it into your computer?

My preferred video/audio converter, DVD ripper: Media Coder

Players I own: Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB, Net MD MZ-S1

Old 11-26-2006, 12:27 AM

no simon, you do not understand. the blue light of the on/off switch is always on. the screen does not show anything at all, even after resets and resets. the computer does not recognize anything at all. i personally have not dealt with this be4 so would anybody happen to know a solution?

thnx

Old 11-26-2006, 12:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I hate to say this, but it sounds like, in both your cases, the player is dead. Since the power switch is software-controlled, it obviously won't work if the processor is dead, hung, or not processing.

Just so I'm clear...

When you let the battery run down, do you run it down until the blue light goes out?

If the battery is run down to the point where the blue light goes out, does the light come back on immediately when the player is plugged into a charging source, or does it stay off until you try to turn it on? Or is there a bit of a delay as the player senses the charging source and attempts to power itself up?

Does the blue light blink when connected to a charging source? Or does it stay steady?

One thing you might try is to look very carefully inside the bottom-edge connector (where you would normally plug in the dongle) and inspect for any bent contacts - particularly any that might be bent and touching another contact. Also check for any metallic debris that may have lodged in there.

Old 11-26-2006, 12:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

hmm.. well of the top of my head, it sounds like the worse case scenario and the HDD is dead. im not saying that this is the problem. i would contact Creative and see what they say.

arg.. you wrote the long post and you got yours done before me

Old 11-26-2006, 04:27 PM

I let the battery run down until its completely empty. Then when I plug in the charger (there is no debris it's fine), the blue light immediately turns on and stays on steady, not flashing, and the screen does not even blink. The processor would not be working or else the creative logo would come up, which it doesn't. So what do you guys think is happening? Is the HDD dead? Obviously the unit as a whole is dead. Now as for solving the problem, I do not know what to do. Any ideas?

Old 11-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Stick a fork in it, honey, it's done. For all intents and purposes, it's like pressing the power button on a computer, listening to the fans turn on, and - nothing.

Is it still under warranty?

Old 11-26-2006, 07:22 PM

That sucks man. You only had it for 2 months and it's breaking down. Didn't it come with a 1 year warranty? I just hope it doesn't happen to me, I only got mine last week.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quoted from Wikipedia: (probably what happened)

Lithium ion battery
Quote:
If a Li-ion battery is stored with too low a charge, there is a risk of allowing the charge to drop below the battery's low-voltage threshold, resulting in an unrecoverably dead battery. Once the charge has dropped to this level, recharging it can be dangerous. An internal safety circuit will therefore open to prevent charging, and the battery will be for all practical purposes dead.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

its not the battery or else the player would turn on when connected to a powersource.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:43 AM

Yeah, sounds like the player is dead. This happened to me on day one. I took it back, BestBuy ran tests on it cause they all owned one and couldn't believe it. They said it was something with the battery, Hopefully yours can be fixed though. I was luckily able to change it out for another one.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:47 PM

hey zen chick, what if it is under warranty? i'm not sure, but if it is, what could i do in that case?

Old 11-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Your best bet is to take it back to the store where you got it. If they don't honor the warranty, then you'll have to contact Creative for an RMA.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

whats an rma?

Old 11-28-2006, 06:11 PM

http://us.creative.com/support/warra.../obtainrma.asp

Old 12-11-2006, 10:49 PM

So Im looking around and Im seeing this issue come up in a few instances. Im wondering how to resolve this or at least what to expect from the folks at Creative. Mine starts to boot up and you'll get the first "Creative" screen followed by a "ZEN" screen but then comes the black screen of death. Like cold space... The power is on, the buttons are light but theres an empty balnk screen> I purchased mine in March of this year so its covered but it looks like 2 solid weeks of no music in the truck. Tried the recovery-reload the firmware route to no avail. Seems like an issue Creative may wish to address.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:46 PM

I had the exact problem with my black Zen M just this week and it is less than 3 months old. I emailed tech support & they stated I need an RMA. I called tech support to obtain said RMA & the first tech I spoke with had some serious issues-very anal and insistant that I give him my cc # so he could charge me $12 & tell me to go to Recovery mode, Clean up, blah, blah. Things that were already suggested in Creatives email response. He was also bragging that 2 class action lawsuits have been filed against Apple whereas none have been filed against Creative. I think it may be time to bring one up.

Old 12-23-2006, 02:44 AM

Default New ZVM

Ok, so i recieved a ZVM as a gift... I connected it to my USB port.. How do i know it is charging? It's been there for 14 or 15 hours and it still wouldn't power on.. Could i have the same problem?

Old 12-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You can tell that it's charging if you see the blue light surrounding the power switch flashing. If it isn't doing that, then it's possible your computer isn't delivering power to that port.

What version of Windows are you running on that computer?