android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 04-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Default Kudos to MS on the web browser update!

I believe this deserved it's own thread. Many of you know how outspoken I have been in showcasing the scripting flaws of the version of IE6 used on the ZuneHD. I used the full (not mobile or Lite) version of the Facebook website to demonstrate this. In 4.1, the website was slow to load, and would be very slow to respond to pinch to zoom. In 4.3, the website wouldn't even load.

4.5, however, is a different story. Facebook's full website now loads FAST. I think it may be faster than the Iphone/Touch now, and that's saying something. Scrolling and pinch to zoom is uber responsive as well.

Seriiously, MS, just add tabbed browsing (or simulated by adding more pages, like the Iphone), and a way to clear the cache (so I don't get red Xs after visiting a media heavy website), and you have a winner. This browser on a WP7 w/512MB of RAM could be a serious Iphone contender.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-06-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
I believe this deserved it's own thread. Many of you know how outspoken I have been in showcasing the scripting flaws of the version of IE6 used on the ZuneHD. I used the full (not mobile or Lite) version of the Facebook website to demonstrate this. In 4.1, the website was slow to load, and would be very slow to respond to pinch to zoom. In 4.3, the website wouldn't even load.

4.5, however, is a different story. Facebook's full website now loads FAST. I think it may be faster than the Iphone/Touch now, and that's saying something. Scrolling and pinch to zoom is uber responsive as well.

Seriiously, MS, just add tabbed browsing (or simulated by adding more pages, like the Iphone), and a way to clear the cache (so I don't get red Xs after visiting a media heavy website), and you have a winner. This browser on a WP7 w/512MB of RAM could be a serious Iphone contender.
+1 for tabbed browsing. I'm surprised it wasn't one of the "surprise" additions in the recent update. It is very much needed.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:26 PM

Agreed. We need tabs.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:33 PM

+1 Tabs are probably the only thing that I want from the browser as of right now. The rest of the browser has been great since the update.

Keep up the great work Microsoft and Dave

Old 04-06-2010, 05:19 PM

Tabs and a forward button!

If you really want to get fancy, you can select who's search engine you use when you touch the magnifying glass.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:20 PM

Guys, we aren't even sure if they did anything to the browser besides letting us save pics and rename bookmarks. How foolish would you feel if Dave posted,

"Sorry guys, but you're imagining things. We didn't do anything to optimise."

Old 04-06-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald View Post
If you really want to get fancy, you can select who's search engine you use when you touch the magnifying glass.
I've never even thought of that... That's a fantastic idea. Forward, Tabs, Flash, Home Page, Search Options, WPA2 Enterprise. Like I said previously in another thread, I think 4.7 should be an Internet update. Along with Video, Music, and Picture supported formats.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:50 PM

Ya... This all could just be the placebo effect.... But I really do think pages load slightly faster now.... Idk

Old 04-06-2010, 05:58 PM

Minor bugs: rare times when launching the browser the screen is on the corner and the rest of the screen is black.... Oh btw is it just me or does the "remember me" fuction doesn't work anymore (gmail and abi)

Old 04-06-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahcheese View Post
Ya... This all could just be the placebo effect.... But I really do think pages load slightly faster now.... Idk
Not placebo; across the board, everyone is noting faster loading times.
But if you want proof, go to any heavy site (Facebook) and try it.

But Engadget refuses to load properly on the browser. The loading stops just before the bar at the bottom reaches the entire way. Sad face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0ke7
Guys, we aren't even sure if they did anything to the browser besides letting us save pics and rename bookmarks. How foolish would you feel if Dave posted,

We get to sort the bookmarks too.
Additionally, accelerometer response has gotten even faster too (I didn't think it would be possible).

Old 04-06-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0ke37 View Post

I would be shocked if that was the case. In fact, I don't think I would believe him. lol

Old 04-06-2010, 06:42 PM

I think people have been doing speed tests on other threads and there's a noticeable difference between the new firmware and the old one

Old 04-06-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedalin View Post
But Engadget refuses to load properly on the browser. The loading stops just before the bar at the bottom reaches the entire way. Sad face.
I think its just because the zune cant handle so much apple ass kissing...

I know I cant.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:05 PM

Engadget works just fine for me...if you're going to the desktop version, try going to the mobile version..that's what I do.

m.engadget.com

Old 04-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I agree... Kudos MS!!! There's only one more thing this browser needs for me...tabs. Then I'll be all set! Keep up the good work Zune Team + Dave!

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 04-06-2010, 07:22 PM

Does settings->internet->delete history not clear the cache? Or do you mean the ability to clear the cache while browsing?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:07 PM

Someone back there posted that the remember me function is broken... Yes, it seems to be. Everytime I go into the browser, I have to log into yahoo, abi, and Facebook mobile. I'll try clearing the browsing stuff...

Old 04-06-2010, 08:24 PM

This is weird. Whether it saves or not is very fickle. I cleared my history and rebooted. Then I logged into yahoo, then closed the browser. Opened it back up and it wanted me to log on again. Logged into Facebook, then went to a different page, then closed the browser. It worked. Weird stuff...glitch, mebbe

Old 04-06-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahcheese View Post
This is weird. Whether it saves or not is very fickle. I cleared my history and rebooted. Then I logged into yahoo, then closed the browser. Opened it back up and it wanted me to log on again. Logged into Facebook, then went to a different page, then closed the browser. It worked. Weird stuff...glitch, mebbe
ZuneHD saved login memory isn't working on abi or gmail, but works on other forums like zunescene.... Hmmm... -.-#

Old 04-06-2010, 08:36 PM

Try logging in, then going to a different site, then closing the browser. Then (maybe) reboot and go back to the site.... See if that werks