android
Old 05-18-2010, 05:26 AM

Default Important radio presets

When using the Zune HD outsde the US, the FM Radio presets are ignoring the RDS station name and use wierd hard-coded names instead.
I should have an ability to rename those presets (either from the windows software or from the device itself, doesn't realy matter)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-18-2010, 11:36 PM

Not sure if it's been said, but flippable keyboard in the browser, like twitter+facebook.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternlir View Post
When using the Zune HD outsde the US, the FM Radio presets are ignoring the RDS station name and use wierd hard-coded names instead.
I should have an ability to rename those presets (either from the windows software or from the device itself, doesn't realy matter)
Not quite sure what you mean... the station names only come from RDS data. It could be that some station has an error (unlikely!) or is using the standard in some non-standard way? Also, make sure when you travel to change the radio setting on the device to the correct location. the USA uses RBDS which is very slightly different than RDS...maybe that's part of the issue. However, none of this should affect the labels on your presets in any way I can think of!

Old 05-19-2010, 08:57 AM

How about speeding up these apps in the next fw? I did a side by side test of the facebook apps on the iphone 3g (not 3gs) and my zune hd, and the zune hd app is pretty slow...

Old 05-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerrey View Post
How about speeding up these apps in the next fw? I did a side by side test of the facebook apps on the iphone 3g (not 3gs) and my zune hd, and the zune hd app is pretty slow...
they have really, really sandboxed their apps, and I think that is why they load and unload so slowly. I suspect Apple has not emphasized this so much... and that's why they've been so easily jail-broken so often.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:32 AM

Default Similar to Skyfire. Kind of request for a new service for all Windows devices.

Something like you log in with your live account then browse websites with an ease with server's rendering engine.
I was thinking when I was using Skyfire while at a friends house. I never knew its very useful even though my phone is slow.

I stop using my Zune HD and use my HTC Tornado to go to the internet. There are big pictures or multiple items load incompletely sometimes on my Zune HD to fix it you restart it and it's kind of annoying. I have no clue why 64 DDR MB and 200 MHz can load rendering youtube videos a bit smooth or through newegg with fast loading times. I was able to watch entire episode of Lost on TV.com with a bit of lag.

If this phone can do with a 200 Mhz omap CPU then Tegra can do it better.

Not just Zune HD you can do this on 360, Kin and WinPho 7 as live service for better web browsing experience.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerchaos47 View Post
Something like you log in with your live account then browse websites with an ease with server's rendering engine.
I was thinking when I was using Skyfire while at a friends house. I never knew its very useful even though my phone is slow.

I stop using my Zune HD and use my HTC Tornado to go to the internet. There are big pictures or multiple items load incompletely sometimes on my Zune HD to fix it you restart it and it's kind of annoying. I have no clue why 64 DDR MB and 200 MHz can load rendering youtube videos a bit smooth or through newegg with fast loading times. I was able to watch entire episode of Lost on TV.com with a bit of lag.

If this phone can do with a 200 Mhz omap CPU then Tegra can do it better.

Not just Zune HD you can do this on 360, Kin and WinPho 7 as live service for better web browsing experience.
The hardware comparison is a bit meaningless since you're using Skyfire. Why not try the build of IEM on your Tornado? I have a pretty good feeling the results will come out differently.

The reason why your Tornado, with its inferior hardware, can load pages like that on Skyfire, and the Zune HD cannot, is because Skyfire depends on outside servers to load pages, and then the page is sent to your phone as an IMAGE with interactive annotations (links, for example). The Zune HD must load it by itself.

It is nothing special about the hardware (like you were trying to imply); it's just the browser. Were you seriously trying to say that Tegra should be able to do it better than a server?

I don't think Microsoft would want another browser available on the thing (I've asked Dave whether a build of Fennex could be put on the thing, and he said no), and I don't think Microsoft would want to modify IEM6.5 so much that it would become a server loadoff.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:44 PM

Well my English suck I am sorry if you don't understand.
I already pointed it out that Skyfire use the rendering engine. Tornado is a bit smooth so if faster Tegra device would download the rendered information from the server faster.
I don't get it Skyfire is already supported OS like Android, Windows Mobile and Symbian. They probably have more users than Zune HD, and Win Pho 7 (future) combine and yet still they pull it off without being a subscription based service.

I admit a new user here so I miss whatever post about it.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerchaos47 View Post
Well my English suck I am sorry if you don't understand.
I already pointed it out that Skyfire use the rendering engine. Tornado is a bit smooth so if faster Tegra device would download the rendered information from the server faster.
I don't get it Skyfire is already supported OS like Android, Windows Mobile and Symbian. They probably have more users than Zune HD, and Win Pho 7 (future) combine and yet still they pull it off without being a subscription based service.

I admit a new user here so I miss whatever post about it.
You were directly implying that the hardware on the Tornado was making a difference, and you didn't understand why the Zune HD couldn't render a page as well as Skyfire. I conveniently told you why. Your phone is loading an IMAGE, not an actual PAGE, when you use Skyfire, as opposed to the Zune HD's browser, which has to render a page.

It isn't that hard to understand; the Zune HD's users are extremely low (most likely lower than what WP7 will have), so it isn't worth Microsoft's time to make a new browser for the HD.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:37 PM

My requests:

*change Social to operate like the mail in WP7, so we can read, write, reply to e-mails sent by other Zune users on the device. We should also be able to view friends' profiles much more easily in the Zune itself.
*add Freecell, Spider Solitaire, RSS Reader, and ebook reader (in *.lit format) to the Zune.
*Make books a highlevel menu item, with 2 swipes available: audio, text. Audio for the audiobooks, and text for *.lit books. I would like to read a book while I have a few minutes on the Zune, and I'm sure a number of others would also.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:13 PM

Ok here's my list, most has probably been said already but oh well...

The internet browser and WiFi experience need more help than anything, here's some ideas:
The internet browser needs updating. It's running mobile IE6 right now, some web pages will not load on it.
I think we're all in agreement that we want Flash support. Even Flash Lite, but I want to watch YouTube!
A forward button, I have found myself needing this so many times.
Silverlight isn't as much of a problem, since I haven't found it on many sites besides those owned by Microsoft.
WPA2 Enterprise support. enough said.
Keyboard rotation while open. You can do this on the Facebook and Twitter apps, so put it in the browser.
Ability to set your own home page. I hate having that standard Zune page load every time it starts.
Ability to add words to the Auto correct dictionary.
Finally, a better JavaScript version. I mean sometimes I have to load a page 2-3 times for Java to be recognized.

For music, it's mostly awesome but...
A custom EQ. Let's face it, the presets suck. Microsoft claims this would drain the battery, but I don't believe it.
I could care less for the horizontal album view, it can be good sometimes, but if you put it on, there better be a way to toggle it on/off.

Video. only thing is the fast forward/rewind using the seek bar at the bottom, it needs to be easier to drag around.
I've seen complaints about more audio/video codec support and I think it would be great. However, if you listen to the Zune Insider podcast, they explained why that's not easy. It all comes to licensing. And even if they get the licensing approved, they have to test and work out bugs and how it will fit seamlessly into the Zune and the marketplace. so simply, it's not that easy.

Other than these, not many more complaints, I think 3D support for XNA apps would be appreciated, and more apps, like YouTube and Pandora, but both of those need Flash support.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezune16 View Post
[snipped]
I think we're all in agreement that we want Flash support. Even Flash Lite, but I want to watch YouTube!
[snipped]

For music, it's mostly awesome but...
A custom EQ. Let's face it, the presets suck. Microsoft claims this would drain the battery, but I don't believe it.
[snipped]
Flash: I don't think you will see it... Youtube supports h.264 as well, and MS has already committed to HTML5 (h.264) for IE9. I think we'll see native h.264 in the browser, or an 'app'
Also, the site(s) will mostly have to recode... Youtube, for instance, uses menus that appear if you hover your mouse in the right location. 'Hover' isn't possible with a 'touch' screen...

EQ's: The actual post (can't find it, but remember it well) that I've seen (zune.net) about EQs said that a software EQ is a battery killer. The EQ in the HD is hardware (as in the original 30.)

Old 06-04-2010, 02:56 PM

Ok, but for h.264 support, they have to upgrade the browser. Mobile IE6 isn't even supported on YouTube.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:11 PM

I thought of another one. Instead of resetting your Zune if you forget your password, you can plug it into your computer, open Zune software and click a button like "Reset Pin" or something. It would be so much easier.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezune16 View Post
I thought of another one. Instead of resetting your Zune if you forget your password, you can plug it into your computer, open Zune software and click a button like "Reset Pin" or something. It would be so much easier.
That would be useful but it should only be allowed if you login to the Zune account it's associated with.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:02 PM

if there were a Youtube app, to include a 'share to FB' and 'share to Twitter' button in there (and add those two buttons to the web browser also) to let people share links with friends quickly and easily. In addition, a 'back to FB' button would be good for when we click links that open the web browser from Zune's FB.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:26 PM

When you click the top left "Media Button" and the controls come up on the screen, down in the bottom left is the name of the band and song currently playing. I would like to be able to touch that spot and have the Zune jump to the "Now Playing" screen. Right now touching that spot lowers the volume.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:12 PM

The ability to sync on a mac!!!!!!!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWynnL View Post
The ability to sync on a mac!!!!!!!
I feel like that's what sets Zune apart from iPod, that it's exclusive to PC.

BTW, you can sync on a Mac, you just need to run Windows on it using something like Parallels Desktop. I don't think Zune is coming to Mac anytime soon.

just my opinion...

Old 06-15-2010, 09:33 AM

speed up the facebook app! I did a side by side with my iphone (this is a 3g iphone, not the newer faster 3gs, and definetely not a iphone 4) and it's not even close. Plus, the iphone fb app has movies and chat. The picture galleries are really slow. I know the zune hd isn't an iphone, and I love mine, but by comparison the fb app almost seems like an afterthought...