android
Old 04-07-2010, 07:26 AM

Complete sleep mode- shuts down music, wifi, radio, etc | hold the device power button for 3 seconds and there is 2 choice... a curtain to slide down to shut off and a curtain slide up for sleep mode.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-07-2010, 03:35 PM

Talking

Here is the best request for Firmware version 4.7, a Firmware 4.7!

Old 04-08-2010, 01:38 AM

an ability to change the positions of songs in the now playing list would be very nice (I know there is shuffle but more control would be neat) and will make it stand out from the crowd of mp3 players.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobia View Post
an ability to change the positions of songs in the now playing list would be very nice (I know there is shuffle but more control would be neat) and will make it stand out from the crowd of mp3 players.
X2. My proposal would actually be for full playlist manipulability (you can read the details here), but seeing how little control Microsoft thinks we should have over our music, or our pictures, or the interface, I can't imagine that ever happening (unless, of course, Apple makes a dramatic paradigm shift with their devices first).

Old 04-08-2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
X2. My proposal would actually be for full playlist manipulability (you can read the details here), but seeing how little control Microsoft thinks we should have over our music, or our pictures, or the interface, I can't imagine that ever happening (unless, of course, Apple makes a dramatic paradigm shift with their devices first).
You put into words what I have thought of in my mind with that post! Awesome! I like the auto generated play-list feature as well (especially the memory lane playlist ). The smart DJ mix is rather meh at the moment.

I am optimistic. Lets hope someone from Microsoft is considering this idea.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:22 AM

Something for a VPN. I hate how my school still uses it and it would be nice to browse the web and not have to pull out a laptop every time.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:56 PM

Cover Flow on the Zune HD, Not happening!!! [unless MSFT comes up with a revolutionary totally new cover flow design] Read this:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/a...on-cover-flow/

Old 04-08-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
Cover Flow on the Zune HD, Not happening!!! [unless MSFT comes up with a revolutionary totally new cover flow design] Read this:
Personally, I really don't care for it. It seems more of eyecandy then something I can actually see my self using. I like the current set up.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:11 PM

I'm happy to see XVID support, which I was surprised that MS added. So maybe a few more codecs wouldn't be out of the question:

- FLAC. It's the closest thing to a lossless standard out there - if you just added it, you'd make a lot of us very happy. And no licensing costs.
- OGG Vorbis. Much less likely I know, but again no licensing costs. And another one-up you can advertise against Apple.
- MKV container format and x264 support. You made the jump to XVID, so why not go one more step?

Old 04-08-2010, 10:25 PM

Mkv support would be amazing. Never gonna happen but I can dream right?

The most important is WPA Enterprise support! Common that is all I want.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Flac is what we all want but it will probably never happen.

But what I don't understand is why isn't WAV supported? WAV is used only be few people but just about every other PMPs have it.

Also ability to change tags on the fly would be nice.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:30 AM

Suggestion: Since screen space is an issue in the browser, How about a button that hides the task bar but leaves one button(triangle design) on the lower right corner and if you want to restore the task bar you click on that triangle design button... Ill PhotoShop a design on what I mean. I think its a good idea....

Old 04-09-2010, 02:45 AM

lem 7.. what if it detected a three-fingered (sometimes you will accidentally get two triggers to the screen unintentionally, but three is almost impossible to accidentally do) touch to hide/unhide the bar at the bottom? I think that would be rediculously easy to code into the firmware...

Old 04-09-2010, 08:14 AM

S
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahcheese View Post
lem 7.. what if it detected a three-fingered (sometimes you will accidentally get two triggers to the screen unintentionally, but three is almost impossible to accidentally do) touch to hide/unhide the bar at the bottom? I think that would be rediculously easy to code into the firmware...
Ahha yeah way better idea!... Well the ZuneHD multi-touch can handle four fingers... 3 or 4 fingers to hide the bar and making the browser full screen, to restore the bar back the same way again tap 3-4 fingers ... I would love this feature!!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:23 AM

I don't know if it's just my ZHD or what, but when I'm browsing albums and it goes to the cover art/tracklist view, the album covers are just inflated versions of the low-res pictures. I'd like them to re-render from the high res covers.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
I can only hope it gets thrown out then, as a number of other Apple patents have been before when challenged by MS.

I'm just thinking a sideways-oriented Zune should show large album artwork, artist/album name underneath, and not use the angled-album views. Tap a play icon to play the album, smart dj to mix, and swipe the album to see tracks. I just think landscape mode would be a great addition to the Zune. Not necessary, but still a great addition to the device.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson View Post
I can only hope it gets thrown out then, as a number of other Apple patents have been before when challenged by MS.

I'm just thinking a sideways-oriented Zune should show large album artwork, artist/album name underneath, and not use the angled-album views. Tap a play icon to play the album, smart dj to mix, and swipe the album to see tracks. I just think landscape mode would be a great addition to the Zune. Not necessary, but still a great addition to the device.
I think a landscape grids of albums should be sufficient. Coverflow is just eye-candy and not very efficient.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:02 PM

I'd also add:

-ability to have the keyboard open in the internet browser and still have the screen rotate to landscape mode correctly
-ability to use facebook/twitter in landscape mode.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson View Post

Interface - enhancements

-landscape mode album view using large album art. Something comparable to the iPod touch album view coverflow, but I know Zune can do it better
-landscape artist view, using artist picture; landscape genre view, perhaps using an 'album wheel' effect or a 'cd case flip' effect
-landscape mode video view. It's a bit...unpolished looking, I guess is the way to put it, when finishing a show, in landscape, and the menu pops up in portrait-mode. It just feels wrong that the menu doesn't know to turn itself sideways.
-landscape mode main menu, radio, marketplace, social, podcasts, settings.
-in landscape video, show TVs and Movies as DVD cover-sized images.
-Click on the image of a TV show, say Alias, to get a picture of the seasons present on device. click the picture to play the season; click the text next to it to get a list of episodes. So for example, if you're in Videos, swipe to TV, then click a TV Show's text to see the list of seasons. Click a season to play it or the text next to it to see individual episodes. Treat seasons like music albums - a playlist of videos/audio.
-move podcasts up after video or after pictures. It makes more sense to put user content next to one another.
-allow user-defined genres to be considered podcasts and sorted as such. I name my podcasts as 'ZENcasts' or 'Zunecasts' simply because 'podcast' reminds me of iPod. Nitpicky, yes, but the ability to consider my own genres as podcasts would be a nice way to keep things tidy in the software and on the device.
-when playing a song, and clicking on the artist name, do not go main menu->artist. Just go directly to the artist profile on the Zune.
-sort apps into genres like music; something like 'games,' 'all,' and 'utilities' would be nice.
-allow user to change the artist background picture from the choices in the artist bio. For example, click on artist, swipe to pictures, then tap/hold the picture and 'set as artist background.' Sometimes users do want to change the default background here as well.
-add 'books' as a high level menu item under pictures, with two swipe-menus - audio and e-books. Integrate the MS Reader content and audible/overdrive into the interface from within the Zune software. If this is done, I can create an e-book of my document in MS Word, then synch it to the Zune to read on the go.
-add a 'car mode' when you are plugged into an FM tuner to keep play controls present onscreen to make it easier to control while driving.
-when playing a song, showing the album cover, tap and drag your finger up/down to change volume (one less motion than currently). Tap and drag left/right to seek left/right.
-mark mp3s as audiobook, and have them show up under Audiobook, under the 'books' high-level menu item. This way, if I purchase a book on CD, and I rip it to my zune, it will show correctly as a book, and allow me to have bookmarks like podcasts, and have all the tracks segregated away from music and podcasts.

Playlists
-instead of just 'now playing' add 'add to new playlist' as an option when tap/holding a song.
-deleting a playlist on the device should not delete all the tracks that are in the playlist
-adding a playlist to the device should not add duplicates of the song to the device.
-add the ability to create a playlist from the songs already on the device only
-fine control of playlists so that I can specify two songs always play back-to-back if I choose.
-allow creating of video playlists so I can have 3-4 videos play back-to-back.
-ability to create podcast playlists on device

Apps
-add at least an RSS Reader that feeds from the common feeds list used by outlook/IE8
-add at best an e-book reader (preferably as a high-level menu item 'books' with submenus 'e-books' and 'audiobooks'), calendar, contacts, movie times, Bing (maps, search, etc.), KenKen, card games, RTS games, shooter games (like R-Type or Starfox), Bible app with multiple translations (or just allow e-books on the device to avoid possible issues with releasing only one holy book over another), dictionary/thesaurus (with multiple languages), translator along the lines of dict.leo.org, stocks apps, and a txt/rtf/doc/docx reader.

General
-improve screen responsiveness. There are many times that I swipe up on the lock screen and it takes about 5-7 swipes for it to register that I did something.
-improve play control responsiveness. There are many times when I press and hold the rewind button, and it interprets this as a previous track press, and instead of rewinding, the Zune begins skipping tracks. This is incredibly frustrating.
-improve swipe responsiveness. When swiping left/right to switch tracks, sometimes it doesn't work. I love the partial swipe restarting the track though, I do manage to use that on a semi-regular basis.
-support video with multiple audio tracks, and allow me to switch between them.
-add equalizer for music tracks, and allow equalizer settings on a per-song basis as well, so that if there's one song that sounds good on setting A, and another on setting B, let them have those settings even while in a playlist
-additional screensavers besides the album info currently on device.

Browser
-add support for 'tabs' to allow multiple pages open at once.
-add a forward button
-allow screen rotation while the keyboard is open. This is mildly frustrating to close it, rotate, then re-open the browser's keyboard.

PC Software
-include the advanced tag editor from WMP 11 into Zune. I like the fine-tuned control that that version gave me over the information included in my files.
-allow separate album art editing from the rest of the song. Sometimes I do want to change album art on mp3s without changing song names. Let me search for additional album art from Zune.
-make the 'tv, movies, music videos' persistent in the right-hand side of the screen so we don't have to always click videos, then tv to get back to where we were. Fewer clicks is always better, and this is consistent with the rest of the interface.
-add 'view all' under TV, just like in movies so we can see all the TV series on the marketplace.
-add an e-book and audiobook marketplace to buy audible content and e-books from within Zune. You already have an e-book market on your MS Reader site, so integrating it here would make it more discoverable and more likely to find wider audience. Here you could include the free dictionaries you already have available on the MS Reader site, plus the paid books as well. Allow us to tag mp3 files as books.
-add 'Zuniversity' into the Marketplace, collecting educational e-books, audiobooks, and podcasts free for the user to download.
-When in the Marketplace, remember where you were in the 'view all' sections so that it doesn't return you to the top of the list.
-add a 'people who bought this also bought...' to increase exposure of other movies and TV Shows
-add drill-down searches while in the marketplace. If I start typing 'c...o....n...s' while in the movies marketplace, it should know to take me to Constantine, and then highlight that movie for me as the first match
-add a 'view all' option to TV Shows just like with movies to view all TV shows on one page.
-leave the "browse" menu on all pages so we can easily switch between TV and Movies - fewer clicks is always good.
-use more screen space. The software seems designed for 4:3 screens, whereas most people have 16:9 or 16:10 screens nowadays.
-right-click and 'favorite' an artist. Next time they release something, you get a notice on the side "New albums by your favorite artists" on your 'channels' screen.
-create multiple channels for your TV Shows, and enable Zune Marketplace recommendations based on the shows in the channel.
-right click and 'favorite' a TV show. Next time a new episode is released on Zune, you get a notice in your Channel that a new episode is up, making it easy for you to buy new episodes.
-playlist analyzer - have the Zune software analyze the songs on my playlist to see which songs would go best after one another. It would not bring other songs in, just use the ones on the list.
-in My collection, I have a large number of items. Putting the letters of the alphabet along the side would help as a drill-down, or better yet, in TV, show just the series, and not every episode on the screen. Show TV shows as series, click on that to get a list of seasons, then the episodes.
-allow adding TV series artwork
-allow adding TV series season artwork
-allow more detailed metadata on video files, such as language, channel, rating, studio, director/producer/writer, cast/role, and specifying if a show is a special as opposed to part of the regular show and allow sorting on these values.
-add more sort options (airdate (with headings for year, then month&day), year, studio, rating, etc.), and put them all there so we can click on one filter, then a second to sort by the first, then second; this would enable us to sort by 'title' then 'release date' if we so chose. There are times I've wanted to see everything from Fall 2009, but I cannot sort by release date as it is.
-display TV series as one DVD cover per series, not every episode splayed about. This would make the interface much much cleaner and usable. Showing just the series, then click to display the seasons also as DVD covers, but with a +-icon to expand out to show the individual episodes within a season. I have many hundreds of episodes already, and it's unwieldy to navigate to the S's because I have a few hundred episodes standing in the way.
-in Collection > TV, on the left or top, include the letters of the alphabet and "all" as another persistent filter, so I click 'A' to see only my shows starting with A, then "all" to see everything again.
-include a play icon over a TV series to play all as a video playlist
-include a play icon over a TV series season's icon to play a season as a playlist.
-enable drilldown searches; if I'm in TV, and I start typing in the search box, beginning with S, then T, then A, the software should begin to limit to the TV shows containing those characters in the title. I don't want it to search my music collection and Zune and social. I just want it to search in TV shows. There should be a setting to switch "search all" and "search here" (to search only in the videos>movies or collection>videos>TV Shows for example)
-enable us to search by cast and crew of a TV show so if I wanted to see everything with David Tennant in it, I could search in TV shows for 'David Tennant' and it would drill down to show only those TV Shows with him in it.
-allow cross-pollination of my media from Zune to Media Center. If I have videos in Zune, show those in the same corresponding library with the same metadata in Media Center.
-ability to 'complete this album' if you have an album that is missing a few tracks that's available in the marketplace. A great way to drive more traffic onto the Marketplace.
That pretty much sums up what I (and probably everybody else) wants in the next Firmware(s). That "Complete This Album" feature would be amazing.

One thing I would like to see added, and is unrelated to Zune Firmware (I think..?) is more functionality for the Zune Wireless Remote that comes with most of the Zune HD's docks.

The buttons with media controls printed on them are nice, they let you play / pause / skip forward + backward / raise + lower volume / and there's another button that has the same function as the Zune HD's home button. What I want to see is the unmarked buttons above the media ones (which currently do the same thing the media buttons do) be able to browse through the Zune's menus. Not when it's plugged in to a TV, but when it's just on it's dock. Let me explain:

Up / Down would obviously scroll up / down through the main screen, and they could make the menu option you're on light up as if you were holding your finger on it. Also could use up / down to scroll through songs on a playlist.

Left / Right could be used to enter / exit the menu option you're on, and browse through albums in the grid view (along with up / down).

The square button in the middle could perform the exact same function as touching the button you've selected. Pressing it once would enter / activate whatever is highlighted, and holding the button could bring up additional options, much like when you hold down your finger on something.

I have my Zune on it's dock on a table beside my bed, and it's a pain to have to get up from the computer to switch to a certain song or play a certain album or play a certain playlist. (Wow, I just realized how lazy I am. Hehe.)

So anyways, that enormous list that JJohnson posted is all and more than I'd like to see in upcoming firmware(s), and I think my remote idea would be nice, but I'm not really sure how they would add functionality to a remote

Old 04-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

An email app as part of the firmware download.
A Youtube app as part of the firmware download.