android
Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 PM

first off i never supported the kin, second, just because WP isnt selling the same as the iPhone which has been a consumer favorite for years dosent mean that its a failure, or that MS is a failure, incase you havent noticed Windows has the greatest install base of all major OSs

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Popo View Post
first off i never supported the kin, second, just because WP isnt selling the same as the iPhone which has been a consumer favorite for years dosent mean that its a failure, or that MS is a failure, incase you havent noticed Windows has the greatest install base of all major OSs
In case you haven't noticed that was due to Monopolistic practices by MS, in all its new endeavors MS has failed miserably except for Xbox Brand. Xbox Brand is hot as hell. And it is also due to the fact their was no real alternative available for partners during that era. But thanks to Google, the Chrome is coming and thanks to HP the Palm OS is coming.

It is not just iPhone sales but the Android is trumping WP7 sales all day everyday, all week, all month.

Go read on about Tablets. Go read Cnbc,and other business sites how Tablets are taking the share from Windows sales.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Vision View Post
In case you haven't noticed that was due to Monopolistic practices by MS, in all its new endeavors MS has failed miserably except for Xbox Brand. Xbox Brand is hot as hell. And it is also due to the fact their was no real alternative available for partners during that era. But thanks to Google, the Chrome is coming and thanks to HP the Palm OS is coming.

It is not just iPhone sales but the Android is trumping WP7 sales all day everyday, all week, all month.

Go read on about Tablets. Go read Cnbc,and other business sites how Tablets are taking the share from Windows sales.
Microsoft is still a titan in the technology world. You shouldn't write them off so quickly just because some of their new products are lagging behind installations that are better cemented and older like the iPhone. And you must be reading some pretty terrible sites if they think that tablets could ever take over the computer market. Tablets just can't do everything that computers can. They're more portable, but they lack the functionality that laptops and desktops do, and for that reason, they aren't going to take over. Not for a little while, yet.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Microsoft is still a titan in the technology world. You shouldn't write them off so quickly just because some of their new products are lagging behind installations that are better cemented and older like the iPhone. And you must be reading some pretty terrible sites if they think that tablets could ever take over the computer market. Tablets just can't do everything that computers can. They're more portable, but they lack the functionality that laptops and desktops do, and for that reason, they aren't going to take over. Not for a little while, yet.
Apple and Google are Titans, not MS, Microsoft is Titanic, get it. I hope you get the irony.

Terrible sites, yeah right They are Big Money sites, with a lot of following and readership, especially those who invest in companies.

Windows is a dying breed. The recent earnings report show that. MS partners have admitted that their is a Tablet threat, even retailers like Best Buy acknowledge that. And you here are waving the Confederate Flag like the Union hasn't won the Civil War, Fair and Square.

Even in Steve Jobs absence Apple is flying high. Verizon's iPhone order hit the ceiling. And how did Kin Phone sales turned out on Verizon, two words Epic Fail.

I can't wait to see iPad at my local bank. Even Dave has acknowledged the consumer shift, even if he hinted at that.

Tablet is the PC Killer. Windows has finally met its match.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I am a WP 6.5 owner with over a year to go on my current contract. At the end of that period, I think it will be very obvious if the WP7 has been a success or a failure. If it is still out there and in good shape, I will have no problem in choosing this as my next cell phone platform.

One problem with releasing a new phone platform is that a large number of potential customers are locked into 2 year agreements, they they don't always take off at first (although it amazes me how many people were willing to upgrade to Veriozn's ihpone - maybe these were folks whose contracts were wither up, and approaching it, and who had been waiting for this to happen even though they were no longer under contract).

Let's also see what happens as WP7 expands to more carriers. I am with Sprint, and am very satisfied with them. At the moment, they are not offering WP7 yet, same for Verizon.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Apple and Google are Titans, not MS, Microsoft is Titanic, get it. I hope you get the irony.
Apple and Google are both very successful, there is no denying that - certainly not from me. However, I'm not sure what metric you'd use to claim they are successful but Microsoft isn't. Certainly not a fiscal one.

Now, you might claim that Apple is MORE successful in consumer electronics - but Microsoft is unquestionably more successful in the enterprise and consumer operating systems business. Software in general, I'd suggest.

Google has us beat in search right now - but Apple doesn't compete there, and Google doesn't do hardware, so they don't compare to either Apple or Microsoft.

Given that such a massive proportion of Microsoft's revenues, profits, headcount and users are in products that either Apple or Google don't compete in or aren't as successful in, I think drawing such a direct comparison between all three is a really long straw to draw.

Has Apple got us beat in the PMP space? Frankly, yes. Google's Android is the best comparison to WP7 and we have work to do, no question - but we're off to a promising start (in a world where people are locked into 2yr contract cycles, etc...). Neither Google nor Microsoft make phone hardware so not a direct comparison to iPhone, but on a unit-basis, they've got a phenomenally successful product. Google has them beat on a unit-basis, but I think Apple has Google beat on UI/UX (my opinion only of course).

The good news is that smartphone penetration is nowhere near saturation - there's plenty of room for a third major player to join Apple/Google. Who knows how the future will shake out, but remember that we're 110% committed to WP7 and have very substantial resources to bring to the table. We do not expect to walk in, dominate the market and rise immediately to the top. We know it will take persistance and perserverance - and we've done it before (Xbox for example).

Quote:
Windows is a dying breed. The recent earnings report show that.
Actually, in our earnings call, our CFO confirmed that netbooks hit a peak two quarters ago and that some of that volume has been replaced by ultra-portables and tablets. But he also went on to say that these are second devices, not primary devices, which really has only impacted the consumer side of the business.

Operating income, net income and EPS were all significantly up (18%/29%/30%), with net income jumping to $18.76 billion. If you want to get snarky (and I really don't like to play this game - at these numbers, we're ALL successful) our Q4 net income was comfortably higher than Apple ($4.52 billion vs. $3.25 billion).

That quarter also saw record revenue for the Windows division, with over 175MM licenses sold - the fastest selling OS Microsoft has produced.

So anyhow - I don't wanna get all high and mighty here - just to point out that you can have opinions about the future of Windows, iOS, Android, tablets, etc... but calling Windows "dead" is incredibly premature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blegs38552 View Post
Let's also see what happens as WP7 expands to more carriers. I am with Sprint, and am very satisfied with them. At the moment, they are not offering WP7 yet, same for Verizon.
Verizon and Sprint will have phones by the middle of the year: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ndows_pho.html.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:10 PM

Honestly the Zune isn't close to being "Dead". Hardware wise, apple is more appealing basically due to the camera(s) and the speaker.

If the next Zune were to get a speaker and a camera (Which I personally don't want, lol.) then I don't see how Apple would have it beat.

In my personal opinion the entire Zune experience and UI of the device beat apple by far.

Using the zune software is pleasant to say the least. As well, the zune HDs user interface is beautiful. I love listening to music while reading the bio of my favorite artist, browsing band pictures, etc.

I think the Zunes main problem is getting past the mental block most people seem to have with Microsoft/Zune. I myself am part of what I assume Zune's biggest target market is. (17 year old student) and when people see my Zune, they usually start by commenting on how nice it looks, and then ending up turned off when I tell them it's a Zune.

I also think it's ironic that Zune boasts of the "Social" part of music and yet it doesn't have an actual speaker. What's more social than sharing your music aloud with other? Tiny or not.

Firmware request-wise, I'd like it if when you set the zunes playback option to "Repeat one" if you skip track it doesn't change to just repeat album. It's kind of annoying when you're using it in your pocket skipping songs and you need to pull it out to change playback options.

Also, with the media button on the side, perhaps if you double tap it it pauses? That'd be great for complete eyes free device use.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Verizon and Sprint will have phones by the middle of the year: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ndows_pho.html.
End of June? Man, talk about being slow to adopt...

Old 02-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
End of June? Man, talk about being slow to adopt...
What do you mean? The iPhone took years before it was available on a non-GSM network...

Cheers, Dave.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzypits View Post
I think the Zunes main problem is getting past the mental block most people seem to have with Microsoft/Zune. I myself am part of what I assume Zune's biggest target market is. (17 year old student) and when people see my Zune, they usually start by commenting on how nice it looks, and then ending up turned off when I tell them it's a Zune.
I was listening to mine, when my friend asked me what it was, when I told her she replied that she didnt like zunes, and didnt see what was so special about them. I was appalled, and so i offered to let her use it for a minute. after scrolling down on the Main Menu she decided that it was much better and she wanted one. This just shows how little people are willing to change from their iPods. I think that MS is going to have a hard time converting the masses, but once people see that MS has a good product, and that its worth switching, we will see a change in direction.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I was listening to mine, when my friend asked me what it was, when I told her she replied that she didnt like zunes, and didnt see what was so special about them. I was appalled, and so i offered to let her use it for a minute. after scrolling down on the Main Menu she decided that it was much better and she wanted one. This just shows how little people are willing to change from their iPods. I think that MS is going to have a hard time converting the masses, but once people see that MS has a good product, and that its worth switching, we will see a change in direction.
Lol, you have no clue how many times I get that reaction. Sheeple are so ready to accept that Apple trumps all, and there's no competition.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Exactly, there's this thing stuck in peoples minds that Zunes are bad. Everyone I've give a few minutes of time with my zune too have loved it, even after initially say they didn't like it.

I think Microsoft needs to think about seriously marketing it. But who knows, they might not even have to with WP7. If they can make people like WP7 and with the built in Zune software it could really change what people think.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:55 PM

Memo & text app in main menu (like in cowon j3) & lyrics support & live wallpaper. i know zhd is capable of.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:26 AM

fix gapless when using drm or zune pass(doesnt work)...add more wifi capability to work with additional networks...

Old 02-20-2011, 01:03 PM

Before tranfering pictures, I'd like to be asked if I want them resized. Wanna decide by myself.
Calendar and a notepad fast to access (best'd be if not in an app).
Maybe when doublepressing the Mediabutton->Pause/Play, and when swiping from left to right next song + the opposite
Marking a podcast/video as seen if <10sec is left to watch.
Ability to change the american keyboard to europe (y/z)

Old 02-20-2011, 11:17 PM

With an ever growing apps library I would like to see apps be divided into games and apps, faster operation, the option to leave the artist picture that is in the background while playing music as the regular background, having it change like it normally would, and audiobooks.. On a more wishful note, a contacts, calendar, email, all hopefully not as seperate apps, all with contacts and facebook integration a bit more like WP7. Stuff I want that won't happen: proper mulitasking, IE mobile 9, Netflix/Hulu+ support, maybe just a full on WP7 os?

Old 03-01-2011, 05:33 PM

This, I believe, is a very important element which will have to be included in the next firmware update: Multilingual Keyboard support.

Now that the Zune's being sold in Canada where English and French coexist in a large part of the country, the Zune's keyboard needs to, like in Office, recognize the language which is being typed: It's frustrating for me to always have to go disable the autocorrect before typing anything to my friends in French.

Dave, I hope you will take this into serious consideration.

Sincerely,

25% of Canadians.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It has been quite awhile since we saw the last update. It was April 2010 since the last time we have seen a firmware update (4.5). I do however believe that we will see at least one more update in the next few months.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Mm. I wish I could still think that. As of very recently, I'm more inclined to think that MS has left the HD behind and looks towards bigger and better things. At least considering firmware. I think there will be a steady trickle of apps, but I think they're done updating the firmware. Lord, I hope I'm wrong...

Old 03-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd rather see a new Zune HD than an update for the current one. The HD was a year behind when it came out. A great looking piece of hardware with a beautiful UI and OS, but the wrong approach for apps.

Perhaps they should consider android for the Zune line. Just don't screw it up like Cowon did with the D3.