Originally Posted by wolf 6 View Post
Since he, still, has the MS bashing.... I'll go ahead and bash Apple

http://www.cracked.com/article_18377...red-apple.html
Very entertaining read =D

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-26-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Vision View Post
Promise, yes they did, as in there would be a "Mysterious Unicorn Project" coming soon by Dave, I can provide you with the source too, but I leave it be for the moment. There may have never been a fixed date but they said soon, and how soon does it mean soon, 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, 6 months, to me it means not more months than 6, so I think they failed to come through on their updates coming soon promise.
Mysterious unicorn project? Dave explained this:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/04/z...-flight-enter/

And with what they have done in the past with their other projects, with promises of updates coming soon with Winmo, KinPhone, PlayForSure, Windows Server and then switching back on their word, doesn't make me confident in this company's behavior.

Windows Sever, they made promises to provide a feature that was pretty much the selling point but they are now killing that same feature.

While this does suck, the feature had a lot of bugs too ( I use WHS) that I believe they couldn't fix, so rather then fudge with it they removed it, could return if they find a solution to the bugs as "Vail" is still not gold yet.

And how about:
MS Webtv it was an Epic failure, ever since that, the company has stopped their webtv approach, with Apple Tv we have seen new and improved models come into market. And the new Apple Tv is approaching 1 Mill mark soon, this means they are doing something right to achieve these numbers.

They are selling it for $99 and its stripped down of course its going to sell as it doesn't hurt to buy one to check it out.

Yeah and copy what existing companies were doing and lock it down apple style. Previous apple tv owners are SOL on all the new features that came with the new apple tv.

Seriously First Gen PS3, whats the most important mass market feature that it is missing, like backwards compatibility for PS2 games, please... go buy yourself a cheap used PS2 to solve that problem. - THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION this was a huge selling point and fanboys would make fun of MS because it could not play all games (it can and still plays some of the xbox games though) before it debuted and when they couldn't sell enough they cut it out altogether.

PS3 has improved the same way Xbox 360 Gens have, so your comment holds no water.

Actually x360 has not removed any features other then the memory slots which were useless; they have added usb in its place which works a lot better and added wireless n to the newer models - so you are wrong here, ps3 removed the card reader, the extra usb ports and and it still has wireless g, as well as backwards compatibility also the other os feature was removed too.

As far as Android goes repeat after me- Open Source, Open Source,Open Source, Open Source, yes it can be done attitude. Like President Obama -Yes We Can.

Repeat after me Linux,, who? Linux, what? Linux, hm? Just because its open source doesn't mean anything to the general populace - the general public knows "well, my phone is only 6 months old and is missing all my friend's features, why don't I have that?" "Why can't I play this game, why is it so terrible on my phone"

Are you implying that Zune is a Beta project, which I have said before and I don't need to address it because if so your arguments against those device hold no validity.

No, because if you remember the previous zune when winmo7 looked like a fresher winmo6 was borrowed from gen 2 and then added touch, the metro ui which came from media center and the album art which also came from media center. So no I don't think it was a beta product.

Apple has an App for everything, so regardless of what the limitations are, there is always a solution. - Having to pay for a standard feature is NOT A SOLUTION - see you attack MS over and over but if another company does what they do you defend it, this is why people label you a troll.

iPad is the revolution everyone has been waiting for.

Citibank, JPmorgan, Bank of America all are bringing in the use of iPad in banking field, they are finding the product very useful.

Colleges are also bringing in iPads, hell even the Radio Stations are giving iPads for prizes.

Car companies are introducing iPad computing in their cars as value added package. Need I say more.

What is Ballmer doing, he's bashing Apple products and feeling embarrassed after Apple sells more than he had imagined or thought, or predicted.

I agree and I believe and hope he realizes that winph7 would be perfect for a tablet or hybrid of it.

But then there are some companies like MS that are eager to Monopolize on things, and strangle innovation just to ensure a constant stream of money flow.

Oh for godsakes they were guilty of this over a decade ago give it up, they are no more a monopoly then MA Bell is...

Ballmer is straight up lame, the guy hasn't had any successful new products released under his belt, he's been riding the Windows and Office wave. He has lost the company major money with his attitude. Ballmer has also disappointed the shareholder with his theatrics.

Really? Microsoft is out with its latest earnings report, with strong sales of Windows 7, Office 2010 and Xbox 360 helping push the company to a quarterly revenue record of $16.2 billion. - http://mashable.com/2010/10/28/micro...2011-earnings/ He's still making them money and these ventures allow them to keep things like zune, bing and other services not doing their max potential.

His approach hit a Brick Wall after Brick Wall after another. agreed

Bill Gates on the other hand was a visionary man. - this is true

No, sir that is incorrect assumption of a brilliant CEO. Steve Job is the savior of tech industry, the guy is a titan. He revolutionized the game. He has truly defined what Mobility means. What Simplicity means. What Quality means. He alone brought a dying niche company to the Mobile Giant status. Show some respect for the man.

Telling people they are holding their phone wrong and not acknowledging the problem is being smug - again this shows your bias - he took ideas from other companies to further his goal (creative, anyone?) and marketing did the rest.

Even MS employee love using a Mac, they know its a sexy device, so do many people.

Also many people know the mac is just a pc with a $1000 operating system - it uses the same parts as all other pcs do except it uses efi and a trusted computing module to keep only select devices to be able to use its OS.

Android is filling the void, where MS abandoned, I'm speaking about Tech enthusiasts. Hell they are growing market share in general.

MS still has the better tools for building programs and being as developer friendly as possible.

Sony is a very strong company, they sell many products, so for them it is no big deal, they make a lot of a LCD Screens, Semiconductors,Sony Music, Sony Pictures, Playstation brand.

By having Sony Music and Sony Pictures on their side they can achieve their desired goals by leveraging the content pricing in their favor, which Microsoft can't do.

They are turning the chapter on the issue of not paying attention to the customers . And the launch of PlayStation Phone may very signal this change -

This will fail if it even makes it out the door as having a device like this will annihilate the battery and I can't see Sony building a separate gaming area for this. I am ok to be wrong but MS I doubt is worried too much about this...

Sony is well-positioned.

Well that maybe your way of thinking it through, but remember the brand power is only as good as the mass public perception, look at how BP got manhandled for its misconduct of oil-spill, and in result they launched a PR campaign to improve their image.

If you burn too many bridges you won't make any money or friends. Every great company strides to make customer happy and satisfied, or tries to achieve those things at the very least. Money is where the customer is. And Mr Ghandhi said it the best. -

People will also forgive if it is a product worth having - look at the x360 it launched and had serious issues, they since have been cleaned up and most people have moved on from it.

"A customer is the most important visitor on our premises, he is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purpose of it. He is not an outsider in our business. He is part of it. We are not doing him a favor by serving him. He is doing us a favor by giving us an opportunity to do so." Mohandas Karamchan Gandhi
Tada

Old 12-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalx View Post
Really? Microsoft is out with its latest earnings report, with strong sales of Windows 7, Office 2010 and Xbox 360 helping push the company to a quarterly revenue record of $16.2 billion. - http://mashable.com/2010/10/28/micro...2011-earnings/ He's still making them money and these ventures allow them to keep things like zune, bing and other services not doing their max potential.
The revenue is short of Apple's $20 Billion, and soon Apple's iPad will add to that revenue. And since the use of new accounting law MS is showing deferral payments, without it MS revenue only grew 13% and yes MS net income was more than Apple but that gap will be soon bridge. Go get 'em Apple, stick it to the Monopolist.

Yes Apple also benefited from the new Accounting Rules, so yeah their shares have taken that into account, and have risen really high, really fast, whereas MS shares remain stagnant as usual for the last Decade.

Quote:
Oh for godsakes they were guilty of this over a decade ago give it up, they are no more a monopoly then MA Bell is...
Not a decade ago, the problem is also of recent, Sherman Act will put MS in its place. And yes I know, MS is a Horizontal Monopoly so when its partner leave, then their monopoly dwindles, but that will happen with time.

I will address your other points soon.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:43 PM

Not a decade ago, the problem is also of recent, Sherman Act will put MS in its place. And yes I know, MS is a Horizontal Monopoly so when its partner leave, then their monopoly dwindles, but that will happen with time.

They are at a 90% share unless they start stealing souls MS is fine. To further that MS picked up a huge client this year and dropped novell and moved to active directory.

I will address your other points soon.[/QUOTE]

A decade ago

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...53C1A96E958260

Old 12-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Mysterious unicorn project? Dave explained this:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/04/z...-flight-enter/
No, that has nothing do to with the Mysterious App project, I can assure you that when Dave was talking about this Mysterious project he was saying it in reference to people's complain for lack of Apps. He vowed that there was something cool in the works.

Now you're telling me that it was just a lame ad-campaign that they should have done earlier at the time when Zune was released. This was only done to reduce the oversupply of Zune HD inventory.

Quote:
No, because if you remember the previous zune when winmo7 looked like a fresher winmo6 was borrowed from gen 2 and then added touch, the metro ui which came from media center and the album art which also came from media center. So no I don't think it was a beta product.
Ever heard that the same guy who worked on the Zune Project also worked on all of those projects. Joe Belfiore

Quote:
Repeat after me Linux,, who? Linux, what? Linux, hm? Just because its open source doesn't mean anything to the general populace - the general public knows "well, my phone is only 6 months old and is missing all my friend's features, why don't I have that?" "Why can't I play this game, why is it so terrible on my phone"
Look Google is no cash-deprived company, they can keep adding new features to their software without having any funding issues, and yes indeed general populace does care about having many cool new features on their devices. But unlike Linux, Google's version of Open Source can meet and exceed peoples demand. Sales speak volumes about Android's success.

The reason why they are leading market is because they are not being closed minded in their approach. And as far as the Android fragmentation goes, their is a way to get around it, you can easily hack your Android Phone and upgrade the firmware to a newer version, and there is plenty of literature out there to help you out with it too.

The ease of use is the reason why so many people who can't get Android go for the iPhone.

Quote:
Telling people they are holding their phone wrong and not acknowledging the problem is being smug - again this shows your bias - he took ideas from other companies to further his goal (creative, anyone?) and marketing did the rest.
First things First, Show Mr Jobs some respect, please don't hate on the pioneer, he revolutionized the Game, he is the reason why simplicity has a new meaning. He is the reason why Phone Technology is progressing at a much faster rate.

Look, all phones have their problems, and when other companies were laughing at Apple's iPhone Antenna issue, they too were found with having antenna issues of their own by the Engadget guys, it wasn't so funny after all.

He took ideas from others, Yeah Right, who took ideas from whom, when Windows stole GUI from Apple, or when MS stole ideas from the Newton and then repackaged it into a Tablet back in year 2000.

And didn't China take Capitalism from the United States. Capitalism is all about looking out for ones own self-interest. So therefore it was sheer self-interest that drove Steve to capitalize on a golden opportunity where others had already shunned from.

If you don't like the concept of capitalizing on others loss,then that is fine with me because if the opportunity comes knocking my door I know sure as hell that I would capitalize, I'm not being greedy, I'm just being smart. Greed is good, though.

Quote:
This will fail if it even makes it out the door as having a device like this will annihilate the battery and I can't see Sony building a separate gaming area for this. I am ok to be wrong but MS I doubt is worried too much about this...
This will not fail, they already have a great brand name with PlayStation and with the help of Android OS , now they have the Platform to launch a true Playstation phone with smartphone capabilities. This will give Sony the upper hand in the Phone market. And they already have a great line of exclusive game titles that will easily lure people to their PlayStation phone.

Battery will be a non-issue.

Quote:
People will also forgive if it is a product worth having - look at the x360 it launched and had serious issues, they since have been cleaned up and most people have moved on from it.
Content, Content, Content, If it wasn't for the game lineup, people wouldn't even try to put up with the faults of Xbox 360 hardware,actually there was a lot of anger and outrage shown by Xbox users when the whole RROD thing happened. But it was the exclusives that kept 'em from abandoning the Xbox, as much as I love my Xbox360, it is the truth.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
First things First, Show Mr Jobs some respect, please don't hate on the pioneer, he revolutionized the Game, he is the reason why simplicity has a new meaning. He is the reason why Phone Technology is progressing at a much faster rate.
The only area that "Mr Jobs" deserves respect in is his marketing schemes (or his ability to hire good marketers). He's on par as far as software goes, and uses subpar hardware.

Quote:
And didn't China take Capitalism from the United States. Capitalism is all about looking out for ones own self-interest. So therefore it was sheer self-interest that drove Steve to capitalize on a golden opportunity where others had already shunned from.
And America took capitalism from the British, the British from various ancient cultures, etc. What's your point with that? Anyway, the capitalization you speak of was mere exploitation of people's lust for flashy gadgets and the next big thing now.

Quote:
Battery will be a non-issue.
That would have to be one BIG battery for it to be a non-issue. A device meant to be a mobile gaming device AND a smartphone would require a really high capacity battery. REALLY high capacity. Really.

Quote:
Content, Content, Content, If it wasn't for the game lineup, people wouldn't even try to put up with the faults of Xbox 360 hardware,actually there was a lot of anger and outrage shown by Xbox users when the whole RROD thing happened. But it was the exclusives that kept 'em from abandoning the Xbox, as much as I love my Xbox360, it is the truth.
Mmmm... Yea, there were a lot of people pretty ticked at MS with the whole red ring issue. I was one of them. But if anything stands testament to MS's ability to turn things around, it's the Xbox 360. I got the RROD within six months of having my system, sent it in for 100% free, got it back in two weeks, and haven't had an issue since. They even fixed it pretty quickly with the systems that they were selling new. Xbox is a shining example of Microsoft's tenacity and ability to make exceptional products. I really hope they can bring that to the table with Zune.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:45 PM

Album Reviews- An unpopular one that people seem to never mention are album reviews. In the software you look at an album and where mixview is you see album review. It is much like artist bio but it only involves with the album from the artist. Increasing more biographical knowledge

Custom EQ- though the zhd sound quality is good and i love the HipHop setting(though i am a metal fan) there are times with the production I deviated the sound and this would be great.

Bug fixes- just so I wouldn't have to do tricks to get the bug off when it appears again

Internet update- though i never use my zune for net some people would need

most of my other requests wouldn't fit the bill because it would require a hardware refresh.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Time to start a new thread named "Firmware 5.0 Requests". Better yet, make it version 7.0 to keep up with all the other MS products.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:01 AM

Lightbulb

DEVICE FIRMWARE

ReplayGain

Brighness timeout > 5 minutes.
and/or
Dim to low brightness after timeout.

Show clock on more screens, not just the startup screen.

Battery icon should show the capacity while charging. Currently, the flip between charge/capacity icon is too slow, have to keep the volume screen alive to see what the capacity of the battery is.

Car Mode. When activated, automatically stop the player and turn off when 12V power is removed, restart when restored. When leaving the car mode, restore volume to previous, anticipating headphone use (to stop ear damage).

DESKTOP SOFTWARE

Go back to syncing until memory full (not balking if total content > memory). That way I can queue-up music to add next sync as I free up memory from deleted (broken-heart) music files.

Manually delete or download artist info.

Backup game progress, so when the data has to be reinstalled (due to problems) you're progress isn't lost.

While the device is connected to wireless, and the zune software is closed on the desktop, the device will suddenly decide to open the zune software and sync. Please stop this behavoir if possible.

Thanks for your consideration.

Last edited by EngrPaul; 01-03-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: corrected a sentence

Old 01-27-2011, 11:04 PM

love the zune hd certain theme but i really wanna try Cowon J3 uci on zhd that be awesome (don't know if its copyright)
-uci: themes support
ability to create user interface 4 zhd
-it would be even awesomer if the geniuses behind zhd created it.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:17 PM

Thats definitely not going to happen, one of the few things that the Zune has going for it is its awesome UI. they wont work in a huge implementation of a new feature just so you can take that away, sorry.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:38 PM

Default Hardware requests

Right now I have a Zune 120, and what's keeping me from upgrading (as much as I want to) are hardware concerns more than firmware. To wit:

1. More memory. Right now I'm at 71 GB or so, so I'd upgrade if the HD made it to 80, though I'd really love 96 or more. Another solution would be to add a card slot to the HD 64, similar to those included on some Windows phones (ie would require a hard reset to integrate with main memory).

2. Improved wireless capability. If I could get on the wireless network at work (need to enter a password through the browser), then I could stream anything from the marketplace, which would be awesome, and possibly even reduce the need for #1 (though I still want it).

3. Auto playlists. Smart DJ is nice and all, but I use a lot of rule-based auto playlists. The ability to set those up (and refresh existing playlists) on the device would be very cool. Since I don't have an HD, I'm not 100% sure this isn't possible now, though I'd be surprised if it were.

Dave, are you listening?

Old 01-28-2011, 04:44 PM

I want more useability of the zune while it is in the sync dock(not connected to the tv.) Instead of just play/pause/rewind/fast forward, I want more menu acessability. To be able to navigate through menus w/ the remote.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenArms3 View Post
.You can create playlists on the device and delete anything, but you can't manage premade playlists, which is annoying
Even though MS has in all probability moved wayy past focusing on the ZHD, it would be amazing if pre-made playlists were modifiable in the Zune itself or at the very least, from within the desktop client. This is a big advantage of the Itunes system, as you can edit track tags, playlist names, order, etc. of stuff already synced to the device, from within the software.

A lot of times I end up syncing songs onto the ZHD and see inconsistencies like 2 observations of the same band (The Jesus and Mary Chain and Jesus & Mary Chain, for example). It's annoying to delete and re-sync them. Would be great if I could connect it to the PC, and just drag the artist name into the correct artist name and have the track tags edited. I can do this on an Ipod, but not on the ZHD.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniym View Post
Even though MS has in all probability moved wayy past focusing on the ZHD, it would be amazing if pre-made playlists were modifiable in the Zune itself or at the very least, from within the desktop client. This is a big advantage of the Itunes system, as you can edit track tags, playlist names, order, etc. of stuff already synced to the device, from within the software.

A lot of times I end up syncing songs onto the ZHD and see inconsistencies like 2 observations of the same band (The Jesus and Mary Chain and Jesus & Mary Chain, for example). It's annoying to delete and re-sync them. Would be great if I could connect it to the PC, and just drag the artist name into the correct artist name and have the track tags edited. I can do this on an Ipod, but not on the ZHD.
I think you may have misinterpreted what I meant... You can absolutely edit playlists in the software, just not on the device itself. And, if you end up with copy artists or duplicates and delete them or merge them on the software, those changes should reflect on the device next time you sync it completely (i.e. don't just unplug it right when it finishes transferring all files, but wait until it finishes 'updating' files).

Old 02-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Banned

38 days into 2011 and still no new firmware update. It is safe to say to say Zune HD is as good as Dead. Guys it is time to move onto Android platform.

Android is the Future. Most advanced and flexible OS available in the market.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:19 PM

umm didnt Dave just ask for beta testers? i dont think they do that for dead platforms

Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Popo View Post
umm didnt Dave just ask for beta testers? i dont think they do that for dead platforms
They are doing it as Fail-Safe if WP7 fails, WP7 is failing to gain share, and partners don't seem very happy with the sales of WP7 devices. MS will lose big time with their current strategy.

Zune HD hardware is their fall-back device, if all else fails.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Somehow i doubt that the Zune hardware is their fall back to their phone software

Old 02-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Popo View Post
Somehow i doubt that the Zune hardware is their fall back to their phone software
Probably like how you doubted that Kin won't fail. Days of slow-paced innovation are over. That is why MS will definitely fail. You wanna bet money on that. You wanna bet on WP7. I'm very confident the Platform is doomed to fail.