android
Old 10-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I believe it is too late for a firmware update to save this Zune HD. New hardware is required. Anyone seen the new Touch? Even last year's Touch was a better buy.

No, it doesn't need cameras. If they add one, make it compatible with Apple's "open" FaceTime protocols. It could certainly use bluetooth, despite every reason not to add it. It would benefit from an on-board speaker and a microphone. Put in a great user definable EQ, FLAC support, gapless and ID3 support with every codec it will play. Add GPS and anything else that is standard in Phone7 devices so that it will run any phone7 apps. JMHO

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-13-2010, 01:07 PM

WPA/2 Enterprise support! This is the only addition I need for my Zune HD to be perfect, and the only request I've ever made in these forums. Please o please?

I'd love to pay for a Zune Pass but can't justify it since I can't connect to my work WiFi and that's where I do 90% of my music listening.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:29 PM

Custom EQ with good low bass booster (about 3 or more levels)

Old 10-13-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkus View Post
WPA/2 Enterprise support! This is the only addition I need for my Zune HD to be perfect, and the only request I've ever made in these forums. Please o please?

I'd love to pay for a Zune Pass but can't justify it since I can't connect to my work WiFi and that's where I do 90% of my music listening.
Same for me. Zune Pass sounds awesome, but hey, cant connect to WiFi without WPA/2 Enterprise.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:07 PM

i thought of some things that no1 else have suggested.
1.Add microsoftpoints on the zune
2.For the free song instead of having a random song let us piuck our free song or after getting a medal for a artist get a free song credit only for that artist.
3.A zune pass or netflix like subscription fot tv and movies that would be amazing
That is it for now.
thanks for reading.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:57 AM

I think that if they just add a nice EQ and more codec support it will be peffect. We dont need new hardware, what we already have is more than sufficient to do what it was designed for.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:13 AM

If ZuneHD has the ability to read song lyrics... Then I'm happy.

.... and User customization too! Like c'mon all I can do is change the curtain wallpaper ='(

Old 10-17-2010, 02:48 AM

Cool

1)should be able to update wirelessly
2)custom equalizer
3)stream podcasts

Old 10-18-2010, 09:16 PM

is there any evidence that this firmware is coming, and is anything other than speculation?

Old 11-29-2010, 02:07 AM

Cool

Heres my dreamlist
1. When sorting through songs,artists,albums, right next to where you pick a letter, have another box for SORTING of date added, playcount, file type OR A SEARCH.
2. 7 band EQ w/. Bass
3. Full-screen album art view/ visualizer
4. On-board playlist management and file deleting
5. Audio recorder (if there is one) and if there is, also a voice control to play a certain album/artist/genre/song
6. Image capture/file download->library
7. Mass storage.
8. Onboard ID3 tag editing w/ password
9. Customizable background (keep it muted to keep the theme!)
10. This last request would prove to be an amazing feat that would bring millions over from ipod.
An integrated pandora account within the music browser w/ direct marketplace download links and FB links. If pioneer can do it, why can't a big company like Microsoft?
Also the Nowplaying dj screen that is native on the zune softawre would be amazing if it was ported to the HD. So you could view inspired by links or the top zune listener for the artist your listening to, go straight to their highest playcount, recently added or recomended and download their music. Then send that zune subscriber a message if u like. Thats how "The Social" should work.

SDK!!!!!

Last edited by juggleboy711; 11-29-2010 at 02:15 AM.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 AM

User-customization: Change Color of Text

Old 11-29-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggleboy711 View Post
3. Full-screen album art view/ visualizer
Isn't that basically the screensaver? I prefer Zune's text art to random bars anyways.
Quote:
4. On-board playlist management and file deleting
You can create playlists on the device and delete anything, but you can't manage premade playlists, which is annoying
Quote:
5. Audio recorder (if there is one) and if there is, also a voice control to play
a certain album/artist/genre/song
I guess this is just for some dream device, because the HD doesn't have a microphone. But it certainly wouldn't be in any firmware update
Quote:
6. Image capture/file download->library
Images can be downloaded from the browser, but no files, true.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:45 PM

I hope you are watching and giving these suggestions to your colleagues Dave Mac!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:05 PM

WPA2 ENTERPRISE
WPA2 ENTERPRISE
WPA2 ENTERPRISE
WPA2 ENTERPRISE
... did I mention that they must implement WPA2 ENTERPRISE?

Otherwise the Zune HD is of no use to students on nearly all college campuses that use WPA2 for WiFi access...

Old 12-22-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
WPA2 ENTERPRISE
WPA2 ENTERPRISE
WPA2 ENTERPRISE
WPA2 ENTERPRISE
... did I mention that they must implement WPA2 ENTERPRISE?

Otherwise the Zune HD is of no use to students on nearly all college campuses that use WPA2 for WiFi access...
Need i say more?

Old 12-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Banned

There is no new Firmware update coming this year, and even if the entire Microsoft employee base were to work on the update it would still not come out this year.

Zune HD is like Kin all over again. They promise updates but turn the other way when they can't get the desirable sales number, Windows Server customers know what I'm talking about.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Vision View Post
There is no new Firmware update coming this year, and even if the entire Microsoft employee base were to work on the update it would still not come out this year.

Zune HD is like Kin all over again. They promise updates but turn the other way when they can't get the desirable sales number, Windows Server customers know what I'm talking about.
They never promised anything of the sort, source? Because it was done in the past does not make it a promise. Yes, there was a schedule but that team was working on winph7 and that was the update for this year, will there be one in spring, who knows? MS releasing updates did force Apple to stop charging their customers (IMO) though as you used to have to pay for firmware upgrades.

Ballmer has stated in the past that Zune would be mainly software based with the possibility of a winphone7 minus phone experience but no one has said anything you are stating.

It is unfortunate with windows server but again no promises were made.

While we are complaining about taking stuff away...

how about:
first gen apple tv?
first gen sony's ps3?
android's OS?

All of these lost features or first gen users were left with a device that was beta. But they do all perform the functions that is listed when you bought the device.

OR how about new stuff such as the Ipad, where did print center go? How come I have to buy a special printer according to apple's rules so I can print from my ipad? (having to keep my computer on so I can print is not an alternative)

Every company screws over their users, the difference is the image they show:
-MS has an old guy who looks ridiculous and constantly is made fun of for his ineptitude but developers like MS as well as businesses, consumers not as much.
-Apple has a smug CEO but is able to put on a show and show people they need something when they don't because of the way its packaged.
-Android has a image that it does everything Iphone doesn't and they are just like everyone else.
-Sony makes a great product but thinks everything they do is right and seems to not pay attention to what their customers really want until the competitor has it or they see lost sales.

Call yourself bi-polar, fanboy whatever you want but all companies do this, there is no such thing as a good company as the bottom line is - make money not friends.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Vision View Post

So... Were not going to be getting the firmware update in the next four days? Bummer. Let's hope for day #5

Old 12-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalx View Post
They never promised anything of the sort, source? Because it was done in the past does not make it a promise. Yes, there was a schedule but that team was working on winph7 and that was the update for this year, will there be one in spring, who knows? MS releasing updates did force Apple to stop charging their customers (IMO) though as you used to have to pay for firmware upgrades.

Ballmer has stated in the past that Zune would be mainly software based with the possibility of a winphone7 minus phone experience but no one has said anything you are stating.

It is unfortunate with windows server but again no promises were made.

While we are complaining about taking stuff away...

how about:
first gen apple tv?
first gen sony's ps3?
android's OS?
Promise, yes they did, as in there would be a "Mysterious Unicorn Project" coming soon by Dave, I can provide you with the source too, but I leave it be for the moment. There may have never been a fixed date but they said soon, and how soon does it mean soon, 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, 6 months, to me it means not more months than 6, so I think they failed to come through on their updates coming soon promise.

And with what they have done in the past with their other projects, with promises of updates coming soon with Winmo, KinPhone, PlayForSure, Windows Server and then switching back on their word, doesn't make me confident in this company's behavior.

Windows Sever, they made promises to provide a feature that was pretty much the selling point but they are now killing that same feature.

And how about:
MS Webtv it was an Epic failure, ever since that, the company has stopped their webtv approach, with Apple Tv we have seen new and improved models come into market. And the new Apple Tv is approaching 1 Mill mark soon, this means they are doing something right to achieve these numbers.

Seriously First Gen PS3, whats the most important mass market feature that it is missing, like backwards compatibility for PS2 games, please... go buy yourself a cheap used PS2 to solve that problem.

PS3 has improved the same way Xbox 360 Gens have, so your comment holds no water.

As far as Android goes repeat after me- Open Source, Open Source,Open Source, Open Source, yes it can be done attitude. Like President Obama -Yes We Can.

Quote:
All of these lost features or first gen users were left with a device that was beta. But they do all perform the functions that is listed when you bought the device.
Are you implying that Zune is a Beta project, which I have said before and I don't need to address it because if so your arguments against those device hold no validity.

Quote:
OR how about new stuff such as the Ipad, where did print center go? How come I have to buy a special printer according to apple's rules so I can print from my ipad? (having to keep my computer on so I can print is not an alternative)
Apple has an App for everything, so regardless of what the limitations are, there is always a solution.

iPad is the revolution everyone has been waiting for.

Citibank, JPmorgan, Bank of America all are bringing in the use of iPad in banking field, they are finding the product very useful.

Colleges are also bringing in iPads, hell even the Radio Stations are giving iPads for prizes.

Car companies are introducing iPad computing in their cars as value added package. Need I say more.

What is Ballmer doing, he's bashing Apple products and feeling embarrassed after Apple sells more than he had imagined or thought, or predicted.

Quote:
Every company screws over their users, the difference is the image they show:
But then there are some companies like MS that are eager to Monopolize on things, and strangle innovation just to ensure a constant stream of money flow.

Quote:
-MS has an old guy who looks ridiculous and constantly is made fun of for his ineptitude but developers like MS as well as businesses, consumers not as much.
Ballmer is straight up lame, the guy hasn't had any successful new products released under his belt, he's been riding the Windows and Office wave. He has lost the company major money with his attitude. Ballmer has also disappointed the shareholder with his theatrics.

His approach hit a Brick Wall after Brick Wall after another.

Bill Gates on the other hand was a visionary man.

Quote:
-Apple has a smug CEO but is able to put on a show and show people they need something when they don't because of the way its packaged.
No, sir that is incorrect assumption of a brilliant CEO. Steve Job is the savior of tech industry, the guy is a titan. He revolutionized the game. He has truly defined what Mobility means. What Simplicity means. What Quality means. He alone brought a dying niche company to the Mobile Giant status. Show some respect for the man.

Even MS employee love using a Mac, they know its a sexy device, so do many people.

Quote:
-Android has a image that it does everything Iphone doesn't and they are just like everyone else.
Android is filling the void, where MS abandoned, I'm speaking about Tech enthusiasts. Hell they are growing market share in general.

Quote:
-Sony makes a great product but thinks everything they do is right and seems to not pay attention to what their customers really want until the competitor has it or they see lost sales.
Sony is a very strong company, they sell many products, so for them it is no big deal, they make a lot of a LCD Screens, Semiconductors,Sony Music, Sony Pictures, Playstation brand.

By having Sony Music and Sony Pictures on their side they can achieve their desired goals by leveraging the content pricing in their favor, which Microsoft can't do.

They are turning the chapter on the issue of not paying attention to the customers . And the launch of PlayStation Phone may very signal this change.

Sony is well-positioned.

Quote:
Call yourself bi-polar, fanboy whatever you want but all companies do this, there is no such thing as a good company as the bottom line is - make money not friends.
Well that maybe your way of thinking it through, but remember the brand power is only as good as the mass public perception, look at how BP got manhandled for its misconduct of oil-spill, and in result they launched a PR campaign to improve their image.

If you burn too many bridges you won't make any money or friends. Every great company strides to make customer happy and satisfied, or tries to achieve those things at the very least. Money is where the customer is. And Mr Ghandhi said it the best.

"A customer is the most important visitor on our premises, he is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purpose of it. He is not an outsider in our business. He is part of it. We are not doing him a favor by serving him. He is doing us a favor by giving us an opportunity to do so." Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

Last edited by Re-Vision; 12-26-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Had to fix a terminalx quote

Old 12-26-2010, 08:03 PM

Since he, still, has the MS bashing.... I'll go ahead and bash Apple

http://www.cracked.com/article_18377...red-apple.html
Aria Pro II SB Elite II