android
Old 04-05-2010, 06:32 PM

two things i noticed are:

-increased browser accuracy(like it selects the link i actually want now. haha)

-pictures seem to have more weight and seem more lively when moving them around.

Add Me on Zune Social! my name is: mq1991

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Overall, a very nice update.

- Smart DJ
- Save picture from browser
- No more ads before games
- Overall better performance
- Better browser performance
- Xvid support

Now if they just give us a custom EQ, I'm pretty sure this whole forum erupts into celebration.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:43 PM

HOW TO WORK SMART DJ!!!!!! WITHOUT ZUNE PASS!!!!!

RESTART THE DEVICE!!!!!!!!... lol i thought i had to have a zune pass because Smart DJ isnt working so i restarted the device and it works NICE!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

Yeah nice work Dave and Zune team....nice update to an already great device !

Old 04-05-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald View Post
I don't understand what the fuss is about no WPA2 support...On their own Zune.net Zune HD tech spec sheet, it lists Open, WEP, WAP, and WAP2 authentication modes...

http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/z.../techspecs.htm

See for yourself.
My bad. WPA2 enterprise is not supported (and I guess WPA enterprise isn't either), so the support barrier is between personal and enterprise, not WPA and WPA2.

As for why I'm complaining? My college has three wireless networks. One is the "guest" network, which is unsecured but requires a software download that the Zune HD can't handle. The other two are WPA2 enterprise networks which are listed as "NETWORK TYPE NOT SUPPORTED" on my Zune HD. Since all three networks are inaccessible, I cannot use any feature that requires an Internet connection while on campus.

EDIT: Also kind of annoying is that they knew about and acknowledged the problem in September. To add to this, from what I've read, previous Zunes have had WPA/WPA2 enterprise support, so this is a feature loss, which has not been remedied in 6 months. The irony is that I only have one semester left and I'll be living off campus for that semester, so I'll likely not have much use for the WPA2 enterprise support when it comes out.

Last edited by Meng Bomin; 04-05-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 PM

-More Artist Picture background

Old 04-05-2010, 07:24 PM

On mobilespeedtest.com, using the 2mb test, I got 2257kbps... not too shabby.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:07 PM

I'm still seeing the stuttering issue, when going from any sub-menu to the main (universal) menu. It's not a big deal, but I thought this would have been one of the fixes in this update.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 PM

You can also delete pictures from the Zune HD!

Old 04-05-2010, 09:03 PM

Seems to sound... better? or Different? something sounds different to me but I might just be and probably am crazy

Old 04-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuked View Post
Seems to sound... better? or Different? something sounds different to me but I might just be and probably am crazy
Whoa, I thought I was the only one that thinks the sound quality improved. But then again, it could just the placebo effect.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:07 PM

So far, it's looking good re: the new features. Good job. Smart DJ on the device is great.

However, I was hoping more lingering bugs would be fixed. Some annoying bugs are still there, including:

* Gapless playback for Zune Pass (Protected Marketplace) is still completely broken. This worked on previous Zune devices and is a total regression. "Live" & mix albums via Zune Pass is a bad experience.

* Non-square pixel (anamorphic) H.264 & WMV/VC-1 video content still displays incorrectly on the device and TV out. They look and work fine in the software, but not the device.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Any chance of a minor update (like smart DJ) to the older Zunes? Perhaps throw in a web browser for anyone with a Zune 30, 80, or 120?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Any chance of a minor update (like smart DJ) to the older Zunes? Perhaps throw in a web browser for anyone with a Zune 30, 80, or 120?
Unfortunately not. Even though I don't have an older Zune, I don't like it how Microsoft left the older guys out of the update. I know that the older Zunes might not be financially beneficial, but I still think the Zune Team could throw the older Zune users a bone to make everyone happy.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:46 PM

Browser on the old Zune just wouldn't work. The player doesn't have the speed for it even though its an arm processor.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamersat678 View Post
Browser on the old Zune just wouldn't work. The player doesn't have the speed for it even though its an arm processor.
Plus, I think it would be difficult to navigate a browser with only a button thingy that the older Zunes have.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You don't need speed for a browser, other than for the WiFi network connection. Those old players all have WiFi, and the connection speed is a function of your Wifi Router and network service provider.

Yes, I know the Zune touchpad isn't the best interface. The 320 x 240 screens would be the real challenge though. However as smart as the Zune team programmers are I don't doubt they could resolve all those problems creatively if need be.

Give us just SmartDJ and a few of the Zune HD apps to play with over WiFi, maybe?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
So far, it's looking good re: the new features. Good job. Smart DJ on the device is great.

However, I was hoping more lingering bugs would be fixed. Some annoying bugs are still there, including:

* Gapless playback for Zune Pass (Protected Marketplace) is still completely broken. This worked on previous Zune devices and is a total regression. "Live" & mix albums via Zune Pass is a bad experience.

* Non-square pixel (anamorphic) H.264 & WMV/VC-1 video content still displays incorrectly on the device and TV out. They look and work fine in the software, but not the device.

Yeah I'm with you on gapless....definitely sucks listening to a live pink floyd concert (or any of their albums for that matter) with the big void of sound for a second...sucks large...gapless seems to work great on non-drm but I'm using the zune pass so much now...anyway...

Another thing they need to fix is that when d/ling something on wifi it slows the whole device down terribly...

Old 04-06-2010, 12:20 AM

although i do love the new updates, i cant stress how awesome wpa2 enterprise support would have been... I would take that over 99% of the apps out there... Smart DJ while studyin on campus would take the cake. Great job on getting Smart DJ on the device to begin with though... and thanks for what little news you are able to give us Dave.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:55 AM

Is Smart DJ not working for anybody else? For every artist I select, it says "Could not create a Smart DJ playlist. Try syncing more music to the device," yet I have it connected to the internet with Zune Pass and I've tried playing a Smart DJ playlist for the same artists on my PC and it works fine (my Zune HD has all the same music as my PC).

Tags
4.5 firmware, zune hd