android
Old 04-04-2010, 08:51 PM

Default WP7 SDK and Zune HD Compatibility?

OK I just have a quick question atleast I hope it is quick.

I know from prior posts that items made for the phone can be converted to the Zune somewhat easily.

Could a app be made with the WP7 SDK then converted to the Zune HD system and uploaded via the current 3rd party app system?
I know the restart would still be in play but the app\game quality would be substantially improved. I hope you follow me here.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-05-2010, 12:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsLasher View Post

I know from prior posts that items made for the phone can be converted to the Zune somewhat easily.

Could a app be made with the WP7 SDK then converted to the Zune HD system and uploaded via the current 3rd party app system?
I know the restart would still be in play but the app\game quality would be substantially improved. I hope you follow me here.
I suspect porting any of the features that aren't already in the XNA 3.1 (like 3D graphics and Wi-fi access) would require access to those Zune HD XNA extensions which Microsoft keeps private...So I'm not sure how feasible any sort of advanced app/game porting will actually be, or what type of improvements (substantial or otherwise) we'd be liable to see over what's already available with XNA 3.1...

Old 04-05-2010, 01:18 AM

Has anyone from MS explained why 3D is not available on XNA 3.1...?

Old 04-05-2010, 03:09 AM
Buddy

Licensing issues predominantly. We don't own those parts of the SDK.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Old 04-05-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Licensing issues predominantly. We don't own those parts of the SDK.

Cheers, Dave.
Explain. I was under the impression Microsoft made XNA.
Could you also elaborate on why XNA 4 was excluded. And for that matter, Silverlight too.
If what I'm understanding is true, Microsoft are bringing their services together, would it not make sense for 1, to have only the latest version going round, and 2, to be consistent with the services provided?
Thanks,
Jacob

Old 04-05-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsLasher View Post

The current "3rd party app system" for Zune, is just for demo purposes. It isn't a serious solution for 3rd party apps and all the work for the conversion between WP7 SDK and Zune HD would have only a little benefit (There won't be any 3d functionality either). The restart of the device makes the whole procedure seem like a hack, rather than a proper solution...its just annoying. The best thing that could happen with the current 3rd party app system is to be cracked and let developers to override the "restart" commands. I don't think that Microsoft has big plans for future Zune HD app development especially by 3rd parties.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Explain. I was under the impression Microsoft made XNA.
Yes, we do. But the question was about the 3D components. There are drivers/components there that we don't own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Could you also elaborate on why XNA 4 was excluded. And for that matter, Silverlight too.
I've answered this question a number of times on here - so for the details, please read some of my older posts on the topic.

I think you mean, "why doesn't XNA 4.0 support Zune HD", right? The Zune HD was never intended to support a public app development program - we released support via XNA v3.1 so community developers could experiment with the product in a sandbox, but there was never any plan or commitment to support a public program. XNA v4.0 is explicitly targeting public game development and submission for Xbox and WP7. The reason we didn't include Zune HD in the XNA v4.0 support is because unlike Xbox and WP7, there is no public app submission process for Zune HD - simple as that. XNA v3.1 + private extensions is for app development on Zune HD, XNA v4.0 is for Xbox and WP7.

Anyone who has a high quality app that they want to put on the Zune Marketplace can reach out to me. Developers with apps who want to take advantage of the extensions and have apps already developed have already reached out to me (and more are always welcome).

As for Silverlight? On this platform, that would have been a substantial work effort which would have taken resources away from media-related features. Given apps/games are a secondary feature on this product, we decided against Silverlight support.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Yes, we do. But the question was about the 3D components. There are drivers/components there that we don't own.
Sooooo...who does own those drivers/components?

Old 04-05-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Sooooo...who does own those drivers/components?
...mind your own business sir!