android
Old 04-03-2010, 08:02 AM

Default Picture viewer

As many of you know, the Zune HD gimps images synced from their native resolution down to 480*xxx. This is not a glitch, it is done so that images load quicker. I find this extremely stupid and almost offensive. They shafted all their picture-viewing customers just to give the ZHD an upper hand over the Touch when they're being compared in Best Buy.
In the next software update (4.5), I propose that we at least get an OPTION, to keep the images in a readable resolution.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-03-2010, 09:34 AM

Agreed! I find it kinda dumb that my .jpg files come out blurry on the Zune HD, considering no other format is accepted. I mean, if we're not allowed to use .png, at least have a well designed .jpg viewer.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:37 AM

+1.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiamhighx View Post
As many of you know, the Zune HD gimps images synced from their native resolution down to 480*xxx. This is not a glitch, it is done so that images load quicker. I find this extremely stupid and almost offensive. They shafted all their picture-viewing customers just to give the ZHD an upper hand over the Touch when they're being compared in Best Buy.
In the next software update (4.5), I propose that we at least get an OPTION, to keep the images in a readable resolution.
A little late to be added to this update release. The pictures can be expanded to their full size just like expanding (zooming) in the web browser though.

I have a 10MP camera and the images I keep on my Zune are Crystal clean when zoomed in on. Lower the quality picture to more fuzzy and blurred it will be while zoomed.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsLasher View Post
A little late to be added to this update release. The pictures can be expanded to their full size just like expanding (zooming) in the web browser though.

I have a 10MP camera and the images I keep on my Zune are Crystal clean when zoomed in on. Lower the quality picture to more fuzzy and blurred it will be while zoomed.
They're crystal clear because you're not zooming in all the way. Download a comic and try reading it.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
They're crystal clear because you're not zooming in all the way. Download a comic and try reading it.
We're talking pictures here not web comics to my knowledge.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:

What on earth do you consider crystal clear?

Old 04-03-2010, 12:33 PM

Hell, the psp is a really restricted device and even THAT can display full size images (within reason.... Can't display a 10 Mb image...)

Old 04-03-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
We're talking pictures here not web comics to my knowledge.
Are you serious? Comics are pictures. The point is that they get downsized to sub-VGA resolutions.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:00 PM

I agree. The down scaling is horrible. If you really insist on keeping this feature, at least add an option to disable it in the Zune software.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:09 PM

It would be nice to have the option, that is for sure.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:13 PM

Do the previous Zune models down-scale photos? I mean I know it does to fit the screen but my photos on my 80 are pretty dang clear, I just wish I had more zoom options.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:19 PM

Yes they do. And, if the resolution was higher, they could add more zooming without destroying the photo.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:37 PM

So to be clear the Zune HD down-scales more than the older models? Or is it the same and because you can zoom in further is why they look crappy?

Old 04-03-2010, 05:45 PM

Ok, since Dave hasn't hitup this thread yet with the technical details... I will do it for him.

Quote:
Graphics: Image Processor (FWVGA 854480 pixels)
-
Wikipedia

Tegra has a hardware limitation on image sizes it would appear.

It seems to me you guys are hitting up the wrong company for the image viewer.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
So to be clear the Zune HD down-scales more than the older models? Or is it the same and because you can zoom in further is why they look crappy?

I am not sure of the resolution difference between the 2 players. Both are using downsized images though and, in the grand scheme of things, I bet the image resolutions are probably similar to the difference between the screen resolution differences of the 2 players.

The image resolution will determine how much you can 'zoom' without the image degrading. The image degrades when you 'zoom' past the actual resolution.

It is the same thing on your computer monitor. If you have the same image in a 3000x2000 size and a 1500x1000 image size, you can 'zoom' in more on the former than the latter and still have it be sharp and clear.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post

Did not know that. If that is so, are the images on the Zune at that max resolution or are they downsized from that max?

Last edited by Stujoe; 04-03-2010 at 08:41 PM.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:05 PM

How would a new advanced device with an amazing processor have a terrible image renderer?

Old 04-03-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
Quote:
Graphics: Image Processor (FWVGA 854480 pixels)
Tegra has a hardware limitation on image sizes it would appear.

I don't think this is the main reason. The browser can display an image with resolutions higher than the resolution of downscaled pics the Zune software outputs. I synced a 3346x2231 pic to the Zune HD, and synced back the pic into the PC and it came back as 719x480. On the other hand, I've tried and the browser can comfortable show an image that is 1024x683. So that supposed Tegra limitation doesn't apply.

If there's a hardware limitation, it may be limited RAM. Still, there's no reason that the Zune image viewer is not up to par with the image viewing capabilities of the browser.
Also, it's a glaring omission on the part of Microsoft not to indicate this limitation in the published tech specs. With audio and video specs, they've completely detailed supported codecs, bitrates, DRM, frame rate, container format, and video resolution.
What do they indicate in the tech specs for Pictures?
Quote:
Picture support
JPEG (.jpg)
That's it! On this part, either the Zune team has been lazy, or just simply disrespectful to their customers. The Zune software also doesn't mention Pictures in the Conversion Settings page.

Well, maybe the reason is "we didn't design the Zune HD to be a image viewer".

Old 04-03-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djca View Post
I don't think this is the main reason. The browser can display an image with resolutions higher than the resolution of downscaled pics the Zune software outputs. I synced a 3346x2231 pic to the Zune HD, and synced back the pic into the PC and it came back as 719x480. On the other hand, I've tried and the browser can comfortable show an image that is 1024x683. So that supposed Tegra limitation doesn't apply.

If there's a hardware limitation, it may be limited RAM. Still, there's no reason that the Zune image viewer is not up to par with the image viewing capabilities of the browser.
Also, it's a glaring omission on the part of Microsoft not to indicate this limitation in the published tech specs. With audio and video specs, they've completely detailed supported codecs, bitrates, DRM, frame rate, container format, and video resolution.
What do they indicate in the tech specs for Pictures?
That's it! On this part, either the Zune team has been lazy, or just simply disrespectful to their customers. The Zune software also doesn't mention Pictures in the Conversion Settings page.

Well, maybe the reason is "we didn't design the Zune HD to be a image viewer".

Browser uses the ARM CPU for image processing. If you want GPU Acceleration, which the photobrowser uses, it can only keep to a smaller size. :-) Ever tried loading a 2500x3000 image in IE8? WOW that sucks. lol