android
Old 02-20-2011, 07:53 PM

The official manufacturer power ratings are usually bullshit, and don't tell anything at all: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=41708 - the "40mW" Cowon X5 is exactly as loud as the "74mW" Cowon D2, for example.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-20-2011, 07:55 PM

Is the amount of power exactly related to how loud the source will go though? i.e. I read a comment about an expensive amp for the HD 650's and the guy said it was definitely worth it b/c he only needs to turn the volume half way up. . . but I only need the same with my cheap DAC/AMP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The official manufacturer power ratings are usually bullshit, and don't tell anything at all: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=41708 - the "40mW" Cowon X5 is exactly as loud as the "74mW" Cowon D2, for example.
interesting! I think that explains what walkgood just posted below.

I use like 35/40 with my 32 ohm HD 485's wit the i7 btw. (again, with mp3gain) Anything less might not be good enough.

Last edited by Satellite_6; 02-20-2011 at 08:11 PM.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
So it seems more powerful to you than the i9? I only ask because of this....
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=49183
Clearly by the specs the i9s amp is stronger at 60mW VS 52mW, I was going from memory because I tend to use the i9 a step or two above the i7 with the same phones, but I guess I'm wrong. I can do a test side by side to verify but I honestly don't see the need as I don't use either player past 11 or 12 unless I'm feeding an amp or the kaboom.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Good point, I've seen that for myself with the Sony players rated at "5mW/ch" seeming more powerful than my old Sansa Clip V2 a while back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Clearly by the specs the i9s amp is stronger at 60mW VS 52mW, I was going from memory because I tend to use the i9 a step or two above the i7 with the same phones, but I guess I'm wrong. I can do a test side by side to verify but I honestly don't see the need as I don't use either player past 11 or 12 unless I'm feeding an amp or the kaboom.
Don't bother comparing on my account.....like you, I don't use the i9 anywhere near its limits unless hooking it into another unit. I was just curious, that's all.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:17 PM

I tried out iAudio 9 a few months ago, bought on Amazon in the US. It was very quiet with the 80-Ohm headphones, which I realize it was not meant to drive, but still it was the lowest output of ant portable device I've ever tried. I did not like the controls, either, so I returned it, although it had some good features.

Last edited by sergivs; 03-19-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: iAudio 9, not 7

Old 12-19-2011, 01:39 PM

i need your hulp! i deleted the param file from my cowon x7. but now i cant play the music!? i reinstall the firmware but it didnt help. what should i do?? and i use a macbook air.