android
Old 03-30-2010, 10:07 PM

Help how to get the BEST looking video on the screen?

Hey all!!

I was wondering if someone could show me how to get the best looking picture on my ZHD?

Ive tried handbrake at the recommended settings and its kinda fuzzy...

If anyone has any suggestions and has settings for that program that would be awesome!

Thanks!
-Steve

Add Me on Zune Social! my name is: mq1991

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-30-2010, 10:23 PM

I use avs..
1000mbps bit rate
480x272
192mpbs audio at 32 bits

30fps

Old 03-30-2010, 10:49 PM

I used this guide as a template for encoding with Handbrake. It does a good job of explaining the settings so you know what everything does. Bottom of the first page is a template for the Zune HD.

The only thing I changed is I bump the reference frames up to 6. The additional reference frames add a lot to the encode time, but the quality is a lot better with very little size increase.

The resulting video is perfect on the device itself, and is satisfactory on a TV through the dock.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:59 AM

Well, first of all Mq, you're going to want to start with a good quality source file. You know what they say, garbage in, garbage out. If you're dealing with a low to medium quality video file, converting it is never going to do it any favors.

In addition to the above suggestions, you can also pick a reasonable bitrate and select "2-pass encoding" under the video tab, which will take a lot longer but will generally yield better quality videos at the same filesize, or equal quality videos at lower filesizes.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:52 AM

@lem7
Thanks! ill give that a try.

@enragedgnome
Meh encode time has never been an issue. I just start it up before i go to bed, and its done in the morning! haha. (Im encoding on an overclocked Eee PC 1000he, yes it sucks for this.LOL)

@Erythro42
Yeah im using a mix of Blu Ray discs (those id be converting to a 1280x720res.) and just standard DVDs. Im using DVDFab to copy the dvds to my comp, and then converting them from there.

Thanks everyone!
Ill try them all and post back with which one seemed to work best.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:49 AM

Help

Also, Does anyone know what settings i need so that the Zune software doesnt convert the videos?

Every time i try to put one on my ZHD it converts the video. It takes FOREVER.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:01 PM

The ZHD, right now, supports .mp4 and .wmv files only. In the soon-to-come (hopefully) spring update, .avi (and XviD) support will be added (though some sources say it's limited (?)). The software, to be ready for the spring update, has support for .avi but converts the file when syncing with your ZHD. So if you have lots of .avi's (like me), I would wait another week or two to avoid the conversion time. I got like 30 GB of movies in .avi on my computer

Old 04-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Mq1991, see the video/audio specifications -- stay within those, and no conversion will be needed. For H.264, don't go above Baseline Profile.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:58 PM

thanks everyone!!

One more question, does the Zune support h.264?

In handbrake i tried switching from .mp4 to h.264 and now the Zune software wont even recognise the video file. Ive tried 3 times and the same result each time

Thanks again everyone!
-Steve

Old 04-04-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mq1991 View Post
thanks everyone!!

In handbrake i tried switching from .mp4 to h.264 and now the Zune software wont even recognise the video file. Ive tried 3 times and the same result each time

Thanks again everyone!
-Steve
Yes it does and you can use this to convert them easily enough.
http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/zune-hd/
Format default to h.264.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
thanks everyone!!

Thanks again everyone!
-Steve
mp4 is a container, like avi, not the actual codec like h264 and xvid. Not exactly sure what's causing your problem though.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:54 AM

@itslasher
I just tried the videora converter, and it left alot of pixelation throughout the movie

@pressstart
Yeah thats what i was trying to figure out, because the video would work fine, and then id just change it to h.264 and convert it, and the movie wouldnt work.
Every other setting is the same.

Is someone else converting with handbrake to h.264? Could you post your changed config settings from the default?

Thanks!
-Steve

Old 04-06-2010, 03:46 AM

Are you sure the handbrake stuff is blurry? i was like you before I found handbrake. I tried literally 5 or so converters and none matched the quality of handbrake. My handbrake is really sharp in my opinion.. and i dont think i'm just imagining things lol.

tell me if you find something really good that's way better than handbrake. but try other vids on handbrake and see if they're all "blurry"?

Old 04-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Best looking video? Clean the screen!

Old 04-07-2010, 08:50 PM

I have found found handbreak to be too slow and cumbersome. Instead I use Any Video Coverter A nice free program that not only converts video, but also boasts a youtube downloader that allows you to download entire videos, or just the audio of a video.

As for the settings, I use the following:

Customized MP4 Profile

Video
Codec: x264
Frame Size: Original/480x272
Video Bitrate: 768/1024/2000
Video Framerate: Match it to the video's native. Not tried "auto" it might work the same.
Encode Pass: Whatever you want, I typically leave it on 1.

Audio
Codec: MP3
Bitrate: 192+
Sample: 48000
Channels: 2
Disable Audio: No
A/V Sync: Basic

I hope this helps you out. Best of luck.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Im using DVDFab to copy the dvds to my comp, and then converting them from there.
Not sure why you're using Handbrake.... if you have a version of DVDFab from the last couple years you can just to set it to convert the DVD to WMV or AAC/H.264. - no need to rip it first, then convert (although I guess that's what it technically does, but it's a one step process to start it, no other software needed). And as long as you're within the audio/video specs the Zune software won't convert upon syncing.

Last edited by Machiventa; 04-07-2010 at 11:08 PM.