android
Old 03-30-2010, 03:44 PM

Default Rockbox on e280R: current build?

Hi there. I've just started educating myself about Sansa players and Rockbox. Very happy with all of it. I successfully installed Rockbox 3.5 on my Sansa e250 v. 1 player (zowee, what an exciting happening -- thanks, Rockbox developers!). I've hit a snag with my e280R player. I followed the instructions for manually installing on a Rhapsody player and got through this part, no problemo:

Step 1 - Original Sansa bootloader patching
Windows patcher
Download e200rpatcher.exe
Download e200-manufac-driver.zip and extract it somewhere on your computer
Attach your e200R to your computer in manufacturer mode (turn on the hold switch, hold select and plug in USB while continuing to hold select for about 10s)
When Windows asks for the driver, point it to the folder you extracted the driver zip file to
If Windows does not ask for a driver, it means that it has installed one automatically and you must follow these steps before continuing: (For Windows XP, other versions may vary slightly)
Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, go to the Hardware tab, and enter Device Manager.
Under Universal Serial Bus controllers, right-click USB Mass Storage Device (or something similar) and select Update Driver.
Select "No, not this time", then "Install from a list or specific location", and then "Search for the best driver in these locations" and click the "Include this location in the search" box. Now use the Browse button select the location of the drivers and click OK.
Run the e200rpatcher.exe file and follow the prompts. Your Sansa should have some text on the screen. If the last line says "(something) aborted" then head to the forums and look for threads relating to your problem.
If it says "Firmware Unlocked, Proceed to Step 2" then it was successful and you can continue.

Got the "firmware unlocked" message, and moved on.

Rockbox Installation from Windows
Make a folder named sansa on your desktop
Download the following file and place it inside the new sansa directory: rhapsody-1.0.2.31.zip
Unzip this file to receive pp5022.mi4
Rename the resulting file to OF.mi4 (Oh, not Zero - as in Original Firmware)
Right-click to download the following file and place it inside the sansa folder: pp5022.mi4
Boot up your device and connect the USB cable (make sure you have set the USB Mode to MSC/Rhapsody)
Copy pp5022.mi4 to the root of your device
Copy OF.mi4 to the system folder within your device (make sure you have set Windows to "Show hidden files" and don't "Hide protected operating system files")

Still good. Then I tried the next step, downloading a release or current build, manually, for the e200R series and I couldn't find one on rockbox.org. I found a link for the e200R but it led nowhere. Rooted around on the site and couldn't find one anywhere else.

So I'm wondering: are they working on this build and should I just hang out and wait? or can I use any e200 build, now that the firmware's been unlocked? If I can use any e200 build, do I need to take any more steps to thoroughly convert my e200R player to the e200 vanilla version before loading rockbox?

Trying to avoid bricking the player. I backed out of the process, took OF.mi4 and pp5022.mi4 back off the player and it's currently working fine with Sansa OF.

I'm patient and good with instructions but have average computer skills.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-30-2010, 05:13 PM

I looked and see what you mean, I posed the question in irc rockbox, if they reply I'll pass on the info. I edited below, but I have not done the R series ever, only the e200 and clip, just a disclaimer.

Edit:
[18:24] <saratoga> WalkGood: i don't think theres a separate e200R build, so that link probably just linked to the main e200 build
[18:24] <WalkGood> ic
[18:24] <saratoga> IIRC the R needed a different bootloader, but the rockbox build is identical either way
[18:24] <WalkGood> thanks, forum question

Edit 2: if you are going from this page, step number 9 does state "Download a recent Sansa e200 build of Rockbox ..." thus indicating or confirming what saratoga said above.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 03-30-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:38 PM

I'll wait before moving on with the install. in case you get a follow-up reply -- but so far, it looks like the standard e200 build will work, which is great news. It was the listed e200R version with an expired link that made me think twice. Thank you so much for looking into it! The Rhapsody players can be a little intimidating for the n00b.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Looking at the Windows and Linux install directions, both say to use the normal e200 build. Where did you find a link to the e200R build?

Old 03-30-2010, 07:39 PM

The "Download Rockbox 3.5" page > manual build option (below the download button) leads you to a page of builds, and that page includes the e200r. Here's the page: http://www.rockbox.org/download/byhand.cgi

From the Windows installation page for e200R, you're linked at step 9 (Download a Sansa e200 build (v1 only) of Rockbox from here and unzip it to the root of your device) to a page of builds that does NOT include the e200R. My first instinct was to trust that link and just select a non-Rhapsody build but...I thought I'd run it by someone.

I'm thinking of going ahead with the install, using the e200 build (not v.2).

Old 03-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansativity View Post
The "Download Rockbox 3.5" page > manual build option (below the download button) leads you to a page of builds, and that page includes the e200r. Here's the page: http://www.rockbox.org/download/byhand.cgi
Ah ok I'll see if that can be fixed.

Quote:
From the Windows installation page for e200R, you're linked at step 9 (Download a Sansa e200 build (v1 only) of Rockbox from here and unzip it to the root of your device) to a page of builds that does NOT include the e200R.
"Sansa e200 build" seems clear to me.

Quote:
I'm thinking of going ahead with the install, using the e200 build (not v.2).
Well, if in doubt, following the instructions is always a good plan

Old 03-30-2010, 07:58 PM

I also saw it http://www.rockbox.org/daily.shtml and linked from the "Archived Builds."

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-30-2010, 08:04 PM

Off I go! Both abi and rb sites have been wonderfully helpful and user-friendly. Thanks for taking the time to help me so specifically.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:33 PM

Successful install of Rockbox r25404-100330 on e280R. Thanks again.