android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 03-30-2010, 09:13 AM
poisonousjuice's Avatar
poisonousjuice poisonousjuice is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson View Post
That's the same thing that happens to me! If it's left in "sleep" mode it takes several button presses to attempt to wake it up and/or 5+ swipes to get the lock screen to swipe up. Very frustrating and gives me slight pause before recommending the Zune HD to people (which I do enough of as it is).
I have the same screen lock up thing happen to me all the time when it's 'waking up'. What I found is the 5+ swipes and several button presses don't get it to respond any faster. In fact, it usually results in the unit turning back off once it starts responding.

The ONLY thing you can do, is simply wait. If you turn on the screen and the first swipe doesn't register, just take a deep breath, wait 5 seconds and swipe again. I know that's what I have to do That way, once the Zune HD screens starts to work again, it doesn't attempt to actually execute all those manic screen presses I queued up.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #42  
Old 03-30-2010, 10:12 AM
lem7's Avatar
lem7 lem7 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonousjuice View Post
I have the same screen lock up thing happen to me all the time when it's 'waking up'. What I found is the 5+ swipes and several button presses don't get it to respond any faster. In fact, it usually results in the unit turning back off once it starts responding.

The ONLY thing you can do, is simply wait. If you turn on the screen and the first swipe doesn't register, just take a deep breath, wait 5 seconds and swipe again. I know that's what I have to do That way, once the Zune HD screens starts to work again, it doesn't attempt to actually execute all those manic screen presses I queued up.
If the ZuneHD doesn't respond when its in sleep mode press the power button then home button, it works 90% of the time( well acually it works 100% on me) and if the screen is frozen press the media button, exit, and it should work. good luck!
Reply With Quote

  #43  
Old 03-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Jacob Jacob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 249
Default

I'm glad I can artists play from the menus without going back to the artist selection.
Reply With Quote

  #44  
Old 03-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Machiventa's Avatar
Machiventa Machiventa is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I'm glad I can artists play from the menus without going back to the artist selection.
Yeah that's sweet. Now if we could only bring up the Now Playing without having to back out, go to Music, Playlists, Now Playing. In the video with Michael Yaeger it's funny how he creates a Smart DJ playlist then proceeds to show how to save it only to have to do 4 (actually 5) steps just to start the save.

Last edited by Machiventa; 03-30-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #45  
Old 03-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Jacob Jacob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
Yeah that's sweet. Now if we could only bring up the Now Playing without having to back out, go to Music, Playlists, Now Playing. In the video with Michael Yaeger it's funny how he creates a Smart DJ playlist then proceeds to show how to save it only to have to do 4 steps just to start the save.
True. You do just have to press home twice, and then click. It would be nice from the media button- you click the song name.
Reply With Quote

  #46  
Old 03-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Zuniq Zuniq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 298
Default

It seems that this pathetic list of new features is official...Engadget has a video starring the mastermind behind Zune's secrecy...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/29/z...-new-codecs-a/

The updates seem to be 4:
1. Smart Dj
2. Picks
3. Streaming music to TV
4. Additional video codec support

Its clear that Microsoft, doesn't spend much time or money for Zune. Some additional wifi, audio codec support and 5-10 basic apps like youtube and MSN live, would make the device superior, but instead, they gave us "picks" and "streaming music"...

I wonder...were there really so many requests for these features?

I'm so excited about the really hard work behind these features after so many months...
Reply With Quote

  #47  
Old 03-30-2010, 02:37 PM
poisonousjuice's Avatar
poisonousjuice poisonousjuice is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuniq View Post
Its clear that Microsoft, doesn't spend much time or money for Zune. Some additional wifi, audio codec support and 5-10 basic apps like youtube and MSN live, would make the device superior, but instead, they gave us "picks" and "streaming music"...

I wonder...were there really so many requests for these features?
I'm with you on the improve wifi & codec support but MSN Live? really? can't you just send text messages over your cell phone? I'm not even sure why they bother developing a facebook app (or why people were begging for one). Couldn't you just use the web browser to access teh mobile version of facebook?

Streaming youtube would be neat, however I already have a browser plug-in on my PC that automatically downloads a MP4 version of a youtube video to my Zune directory and automatically sync to my Zune HD. and since I'm personally not around a wifi connection that works (back to wanting improved wifi support), my solution works much better for me.
Reply With Quote

  #48  
Old 03-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Zuniq Zuniq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonousjuice View Post
I'm with you on the improve wifi & codec support but MSN Live? really? can't you just send text messages over your cell phone? I'm not even sure why they bother developing a facebook app (or why people were begging for one).
By writing "MSN live" i'm not only referring to messenger, but to live mail as well...anyway, i'm not going crazy about this feature, i just think that it could be more useful than pick or streaming...
Reply With Quote

  #49  
Old 03-30-2010, 03:10 PM
poisonousjuice's Avatar
poisonousjuice poisonousjuice is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuniq View Post
By writing "MSN live" i'm not only referring to messenger, but to live mail as well...anyway, i'm not going crazy about this feature, i just think that it could be more useful than pick or streaming...
That makes more sense to me. Perhaps though, as smartphones like the iPhone, Android, and of course eventually WP7, become more and more popular & data plans more affordable, the need or desire for a PMP to be able to have web-based feature like youtube streaming, email, chat, etc. will drop off. Perhaps this is the prediction Microsoft has and decided not to invest the time & money into developing online apps and instead focus on the media aspect of the Zune HD such as 'SmartDJ'. I agree some of the new features are not very exciting but they do enhance the music experience of the Zune HD which I think is what Microsoft has been focused on the most with the device.

The need for a PMP to do everything like the iPod Touch currently does is diminishing as smartphones that can chat, email, video streaming, etc, start to become the norm.
Reply With Quote

  #50  
Old 03-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Zuniq Zuniq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonousjuice View Post
That makes more sense to me. Perhaps though, as smartphones like the iPhone, Android, and of course eventually WP7, become more and more popular & data plans more affordable, the need or desire for a PMP to be able to have web-based feature like youtube streaming, email, chat, etc. will drop off. Perhaps this is the prediction Microsoft has and decided not to invest the time & money into developing online apps and instead focus on the media aspect of the Zune HD such as 'SmartDJ'. I agree some of the new features are not very exciting but they do enhance the music experience of the Zune HD which I think is what Microsoft has been focused on the most with the device.

The need for a PMP to do everything like the iPod Touch currently does is diminishing as smartphones that can chat, email, video streaming, etc, start to become the norm.

I agree, but if they wanted to focus on the media aspect, they could have added more audio formats support and a custom eq...this is the base after all...the sound.
Reply With Quote

  #51  
Old 03-30-2010, 03:53 PM
askareem24 askareem24 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 38
Default

thats a pathetic list honestly.. all i want is better wifi support , pandora, and a youtube app. also, more audio codec would be nice too.
Reply With Quote

  #52  
Old 03-30-2010, 04:01 PM
poisonousjuice's Avatar
poisonousjuice poisonousjuice is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuniq View Post
I agree, but if they wanted to focus on the media aspect, they could have added more audio formats support and a custom eq...this is the base after all...the sound.
I'm definately with you on the custom eq & expanded codec support.
Reply With Quote

  #53  
Old 03-30-2010, 04:02 PM
theholybull theholybull is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 41
Default

stop bitching about something that hasnt happened yet. Jesus, wait until it hits before you complain about it. Whiney bastards...
__________________
Players: 1g 16gb Ipod Touch, 2g 16gb Ipod touch, 3g 32gb Ipod Touch, 6g 160gb Ipod classic, 2g 1gb ipod shuffle, 1g 30gb Zune, 16gb Zune hd, 1gb Creative Zen, Sony MP3 mini disk player/recorder, Sansa c130.
Reply With Quote

  #54  
Old 03-30-2010, 04:08 PM
poisonousjuice's Avatar
poisonousjuice poisonousjuice is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by askareem24 View Post
thats a pathetic list honestly.. all i want is better wifi support , pandora, and a youtube app. also, more audio codec would be nice too.
Pandora on a device that already has a subscription based music discovery service built in is not going to happen. Never. Unless somehow the Zune gets cracked and someone else can create an app that streams from Pandora. But a Microsoft sanctioned Pandora app on their Zune HD which offers the Zune Pass? When pigs fly.

That thought can even be expanded to Youtube and other video streaming services. I'm sure Microsoft would rather focus on getting Zune HD user's to pay for their videos from the Zune Video Marketplace than encourage Youtube use, in which Microsoft gets no money from.

The improve wifi & codec support I would expect are a focus for the device and have my fingers crossed that they are included in the spring update.
Reply With Quote

  #55  
Old 03-30-2010, 04:13 PM
askareem24 askareem24 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonousjuice View Post
Pandora on a device that already has a subscription based music discovery service built in is not going to happen. Never. Unless somehow the Zune gets cracked and someone else can create an app that streams from Pandora. But a Microsoft sanctioned Pandora app on their Zune HD which offers the Zune Pass? When pigs fly.

That thought can even be expanded to Youtube and other video streaming services. I'm sure Microsoft would rather focus on getting Zune HD user's to pay for their videos from the Zune Video Marketplace than encourage Youtube use, in which Microsoft gets no money from.

The improve wifi & codec support I would expect are a focus for the device and have my fingers crossed that they are included in the spring update.
i understand the pandora part.. but at the very least, a youtube app would be nice. although i doubt it will ever come out. if it miraculously comes out (im willing to bet 100$ that it will never happen), i'll be so happy
Reply With Quote

  #56  
Old 03-30-2010, 05:27 PM
epithetless's Avatar
epithetless epithetless is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, Mass
Posts: 1,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholybull View Post
stop bitching about something that hasnt happened yet. Jesus, wait until it hits before you complain about it. Whiney bastards...
Thanks for the fair and balanced viewpoint. You are a model for us all.
__________________
Rockbox Themes:
Sansa Fuze: XL Fuzed // Sansa Clip/Clip+: Cliplined
Reply With Quote

  #57  
Old 03-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholybull View Post
stop bitching about something that hasnt happened yet. Jesus, wait until it hits before you complain about it. Whiney bastards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Thanks for the fair and balanced viewpoint. You are a model for us all.
He does kinda have a point though....if not expressed in the most diplomatic manner.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #58  
Old 03-30-2010, 05:49 PM
epithetless's Avatar
epithetless epithetless is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, Mass
Posts: 1,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
He does kinda have a point though....if not expressed in the most diplomatic manner.
Sure, and I actually agree with the general sentiment, but when that point is about people complaining, the way it's expressed is key...
__________________
Rockbox Themes:
Sansa Fuze: XL Fuzed // Sansa Clip/Clip+: Cliplined
Reply With Quote

  #59  
Old 03-30-2010, 06:21 PM
TheFooDaddy TheFooDaddy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6
Default

So... it appears the Spring Update includes one actual improvement (codec support) and three new ways to make it easier to buy stuff. Sneaky.

"Hey, Wal-Mart. Will you ever carry Product A?"

"Nope, but we did add four more doors to the front of the building!"
Reply With Quote

  #60  
Old 03-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Machiventa's Avatar
Machiventa Machiventa is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFooDaddy View Post
So... it appears the Spring Update includes one actual improvement (codec support) and three new ways to make it easier to buy stuff. Sneaky.
They aren't making it any easier to buy stuff. Smart DJ is similar to Genius or Pandora... huge actual improvement. Streamable music on a HDTV via HD Dock is basically on-demand radio or playlists..... pretty huge actual improvement IMO. And Picks could fall into "hey, if you like this then we recommend that" so I suppose that could fall into making it easier to buy something but it's nice to see some new music I might have never heard before. They're mainly targeting Zune Pass members with these features so I see why people are complaining but in no way are they leaving anyone out who doesn't have a pass. But I digress, I see your point as funny as it was. They have to make a Pass appeal to more people so more power to em.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.