android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Matthew317 Matthew317 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 39
Default

engadget posted a video demonstration of the updatehttp://www.engadget.com/2010/03/29/z...-new-codecs-a/
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #22  
Old 03-29-2010, 09:57 PM
a slice of kiwi a slice of kiwi is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wellsville w/ Petunia + Artie, the Strongest Man in the World
Posts: 33
Default

I wonder with the forthcoming update for zunehd, do you need a zunepass to use the aspect(smartdj) or will it do like the software and disregard the marketplace songs?
Reply With Quote

  #23  
Old 03-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Raymond231 Raymond231 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 85
Default

Wow. What crap...
__________________
ZuneHD needs an Astroglide app...
Reply With Quote

  #24  
Old 03-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Olley Olley is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,894
Default

No new apps were mentioned or asked about, so hopefully some are still on the table.
Reply With Quote

  #25  
Old 03-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Raymond231 Raymond231 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
No new apps were mentioned or asked about, so hopefully some are still on the table.
Life support is being turned off. If there was ever any doubt...
__________________
ZuneHD needs an Astroglide app...
Reply With Quote

  #26  
Old 03-29-2010, 10:14 PM
2fast4u5 2fast4u5 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 47
Default

I don't even use zune pass and I can careless about smart playlists/HDMI dock.. Thank God I got a 2 year warranty for my s***. Getting my $$$ back if this is the spring update :d
Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old 03-29-2010, 10:20 PM
lip lip is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 476
Default

I think the update is pretty awesome...but I guess I'm one of the crazy people who bought this device to play music...?!
The only thing that will piss me off a bit is if they don't address some of the outstanding firmware issues that need to be fixed (wifi, gapless playback on drm music, some slowdowns when d/ling over wifi,etc...).

I actually hope they don't release any apps for two reasons:
1. concentrate on making it a better music/video player...apps are a complete waste for this device *for me*
2. perhaps some of the whiners here will get pushed over the edge and decide to sell their device...wouldn't mind getting another one for the wife on the cheap! :-)
Reply With Quote

  #28  
Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 PM
lem7's Avatar
lem7 lem7 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 502
Default

Wait a minute... Is this all that will come in the spring update? Wtf!?! No apps? No audio codec? No bug fixes? No web browser tweaks? No user customization? No coverflow? None of that? really? ..... Sigh, just when I was getting excited..... MSFT you always ruin it... (but if more is coming than heck yeah MSFT, if not... Well ****)
Reply With Quote

  #29  
Old 03-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Icky6 Icky6 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u5 View Post
I don't even use zune pass and I can careless about smart playlists/HDMI dock.. Thank God I got a 2 year warranty for my s***. Getting my $$$ back if this is the spring update :d
Same here, smart dj is little more than a shuffle if you don't have the zune pass. And I also don't have the HDMI dock so that's another feature that only benefits people who dump even more money into the Zune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
I think the update is pretty awesome...but I guess I'm one of the crazy people who bought this device to play music...?!
The only thing that will piss me off a bit is if they don't address some of the outstanding firmware issues that need to be fixed (wifi, gapless playback on drm music, some slowdowns when d/ling over wifi,etc...).

I actually hope they don't release any apps for two reasons:
1. concentrate on making it a better music/video player...apps are a complete waste for this device *for me*
2. perhaps some of the whiners here will get pushed over the edge and decide to sell their device...wouldn't mind getting another one for the wife on the cheap! :-)
Lip, I'm glad you enjoy the Zune HD solely for music, but you seem to take every opportunity to make those "gee guess I'm crazy for using it for what it's SUPPOSED to be used for" comments.

To be fair, I've gotten my panties in a bunch over the apps issue before and in retrospect think it's sort of silly to do that (note: I do not actually wear panties). Still, I wish you would stop with the digs at the "whiners" as if you have the only legitimate view of the HD. Just because your needs align exactly with what the Zune HD offers you, it doesn't make our requests any less valid. And please, before you tell me to research before I buy... just don't, that argument is getting old and doesn't even apply since I heavily researched my purchase.

As I've said recently in other threads, if the Zune HD truly were a "premium" media player, we'd have support for way more audio and video codecs from the beginning, a seek bar, etc. More and more I get the feeling that the "premium media experience" Microsoft is talking about is really just a push for people to buy Zune Passes and the overpriced dock. I.e., the great media experience we promise with the Zune HD only applies IF you buy more shit from us! For people like me, who don't want those things, the Zune HD offers nothing great in terms of media consumption. So, I am personally hoping for a bit more from this Spring update.

Last edited by Icky6; 03-29-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #30  
Old 03-29-2010, 11:14 PM
lip lip is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky6 View Post
Same here, smart dj is little more than a shuffle if you don't have the zune pass. And I also don't have the HDMI dock so that's another feature that only benefits people who dump even more money into the Zune.



Lip, I'm glad you enjoy the Zune HD solely for music, but you seem to take every opportunity to make those "gee guess I'm crazy for using it for what it's SUPPOSED to be used for" comments.

To be fair, I've gotten my panties in a bunch over the apps issue before and in retrospect think it's sort of silly to do that (note: I do not actually wear panties). Still, I wish you would stop with the digs at the "whiners" as if you have the only legitimate view of the HD. Just because your needs align exactly with what the Zune HD offers you, it doesn't make our requests any less valid. And please, before you tell me to research before I buy... just don't, that argument is getting old and doesn't even apply since I heavily researched my purchase.

As I've said recently in other threads, if the Zune HD truly were a "premium" media player, we'd have support for way more audio and video codecs from the beginning, a seek bar, etc. More and more I get the feeling that the "premium media experience" is really just a push for people to buy Zune Passes and the overpriced dock. For people like me, who don't want those things, the Zune HD offers nothing great in terms of media consumption. So, I am personally hoping for a bit more from this Spring update.
I take your point but at the same time what gets my 'panties in a twist" are the constant complaints on the same topics...hey, I've got no problems if there is one monster thread that keeps on the apps and other items missing topics but everyday there is a new thread just whining, yes people are just whining, about topics that have been overly discussed...perhaps the answer is a "I wish it had this function thread"...however, there is already such a thread but that doesn't seem good enough.

MS are not going to make apps on this device a priority people...simple as that. Time to get over it...if you can't get over it then sell your device(I'm not being an a**, I'm quite serious...it's not worth the pain it seems to cause some it seems so I think selling is the best bet).

Maybe in the future things will change when WPS7 comes out regarding apps but that is a year away and a year in gadget years is like 10...and even then I really doubt it to a large extent.

My big beef is that all this whining/noise/complaining/etc... about apps and games is taking away at what I feel are legitimate weaknesses about this device such as the wifi issue, lack of gapless playback on drm songs, custom equalizer(not my desire but seems to be a big deal for some), additional audio formats(FLAC seems to be a big request...),etc...
I'm really sorry that some feel this device doesn't live up to their wishes and desires on the app/game side of things but it is what it is and it's been pretty obvious to me from day 1 that this was not going to be MS' answer to the DS or PSP or touch...however, if MS can do something for this device, I would rather that be to improve the core competencies on the audio/video side of things rather than wasting a lot of time in an area that other devices are better suited for...

Reply With Quote

  #31  
Old 03-29-2010, 11:22 PM
syst3m's Avatar
syst3m syst3m is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 141
Default

Sigh... Remember how Dave said that he can't mention anything that hasn't been officially announced? Well if Gizmodo got a preview, they have to play by the same rules. The article does NOT say anywhere that the features mentioned are the only things in the new update, it just mentions stuff that has been announced. Wait and see for your self before going off the deep end... Even after it is released (and if some of the things you really want aren't in the current update), remember that it is still a few steps further then it once was.
__________________
Have: ZuneHD 32GB, Zune 8GB
Had: Sansa e260, Some Old Panasonic MP3 Player
Reply With Quote

  #32  
Old 03-29-2010, 11:40 PM
lem7's Avatar
lem7 lem7 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syst3m View Post
Sigh... Remember how Dave said that he can't mention anything that hasn't been officially announced? Well if Gizmodo got a preview, they have to play by the same rules. The article does NOT say anywhere that the features mentioned are the only things in the new update, it just mentions stuff that has been announced. Wait and see for your self before going off the deep end... Even after it is released (and if some of the things you really want aren't in the current update), remember that it is still a few steps further then it once was.
But they showed gizmodo 2 new features that was never officially announced before, why wouldn't they show the rest? Doesn't make sense, Maybe because their is none.. Well im still hoping theirs more coming this spring. (::cough::YouTube::cough:
Reply With Quote

  #33  
Old 03-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Icky6 Icky6 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
I take your point but at the same time what gets my 'panties in a twist" are the constant complaints on the same topics...hey, I've got no problems if there is one monster thread that keeps on the apps and other items missing topics but everyday there is a new thread just whining, yes people are just whining, about topics that have been overly discussed...perhaps the answer is a "I wish it had this function thread"...however, there is already such a thread but that doesn't seem good enough.

MS are not going to make apps on this device a priority people...simple as that. Time to get over it...if you can't get over it then sell your device(I'm not being an a**, I'm quite serious...it's not worth the pain it seems to cause some it seems so I think selling is the best bet).

Maybe in the future things will change when WPS7 comes out regarding apps but that is a year away and a year in gadget years is like 10...and even then I really doubt it to a large extent.

My big beef is that all this whining/noise/complaining/etc... about apps and games is taking away at what I feel are legitimate weaknesses about this device such as the wifi issue, lack of gapless playback on drm songs, custom equalizer(not my desire but seems to be a big deal for some), additional audio formats(FLAC seems to be a big request...),etc...
I'm really sorry that some feel this device doesn't live up to their wishes and desires on the app/game side of things but it is what it is and it's been pretty obvious to me from day 1 that this was not going to be MS' answer to the DS or PSP or touch...however, if MS can do something for this device, I would rather that be to improve the core competencies on the audio/video side of things rather than wasting a lot of time in an area that other devices are better suited for...

Agreed! As much as I'd like more apps, we all know that isn't going to happen to any significant degree. The media features are what should primarily be focused on, and have a chance of being fixed since that is what the Zune team and Microsoft are trying to market this as.
Reply With Quote

  #34  
Old 03-30-2010, 12:15 AM
theholybull theholybull is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 41
Default

I cant wait for the new codecs, thats the best part of the whole damn update. You want apps get a touch, or get to hacking the HD to run android. In the mean time im playing Final fantasy on my touch while listening to music on the zune. I also just downloaded Ikitt for the touch. I hope thats in the spring update. It rocks.
__________________
Players: 1g 16gb Ipod Touch, 2g 16gb Ipod touch, 3g 32gb Ipod Touch, 6g 160gb Ipod classic, 2g 1gb ipod shuffle, 1g 30gb Zune, 16gb Zune hd, 1gb Creative Zen, Sony MP3 mini disk player/recorder, Sansa c130.
Reply With Quote

  #35  
Old 03-30-2010, 12:32 AM
djca djca is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 117
Default

Disappointed that there's still no direct podcast subscription from the Zune HD --- something that the WP7S OS apparently supports.

Among the new features, I think I'll be using Xvid support most. I don't have a dock yet so I don't have use for the On-TV marketplace. Saw a screenshot of it on CNET.


Found it amusing that even with the large TV screen, long song titles still run off the screen. I guess it's not a Zune if there's no text running off the screen.
Reply With Quote

  #36  
Old 03-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Maxis Maxis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
I take your point but at the same time what gets my 'panties in a twist" are the constant complaints on the same topics...hey, I've got no problems if there is one monster thread that keeps on the apps and other items missing topics but everyday there is a new thread just whining, yes people are just whining, about topics that have been overly discussed...perhaps the answer is a "I wish it had this function thread"...however, there is already such a thread but that doesn't seem good enough.

MS are not going to make apps on this device a priority people...simple as that. Time to get over it...if you can't get over it then sell your device(I'm not being an a**, I'm quite serious...it's not worth the pain it seems to cause some it seems so I think selling is the best bet).

Maybe in the future things will change when WPS7 comes out regarding apps but that is a year away and a year in gadget years is like 10...and even then I really doubt it to a large extent.

My big beef is that all this whining/noise/complaining/etc... about apps and games is taking away at what I feel are legitimate weaknesses about this device such as the wifi issue, lack of gapless playback on drm songs, custom equalizer(not my desire but seems to be a big deal for some), additional audio formats(FLAC seems to be a big request...),etc...
I'm really sorry that some feel this device doesn't live up to their wishes and desires on the app/game side of things but it is what it is and it's been pretty obvious to me from day 1 that this was not going to be MS' answer to the DS or PSP or touch...however, if MS can do something for this device, I would rather that be to improve the core competencies on the audio/video side of things rather than wasting a lot of time in an area that other devices are better suited for...

I hear you on the core competencies .. but judging from past performance MS does not seem interested in advancing the device on its core competencies either. We have been asking for a custom EQ since zune 30. We have arguably the Largest thread on the Zune forums asking for the EQ When it was taken out and look at the complete and utter crap they gave us on the zuneHD ?

Almost every single update i have seen is somethin related to the marketplace and making it easier to provide content to the device ..Fine .. Yet they neglect to enhance the feature set of the device.. Thats what gets me steamed.. How many years now and we cant get a decent 5 to 7 band EQ ? Ok we have xvid support ..




yay ... sarcasm....



As for the apps and internet.. Call me old fashioned . but if you plan to do something .. dont half ass it.. and i think thats the reason your seeing all the bitching and moaning in the apps/internet dept.

oh well .. fooled me twice .. My fault.. shame on me for giving them a second chance. Ill ensure my sonic priorities are front and center when dap shopping the thrid go around.
Reply With Quote

  #37  
Old 03-30-2010, 05:52 AM
Enigmatic Enigmatic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxis View Post
How many years now and we cant get a decent 5 to 7 band EQ ?
I think it is reasonable to assume that Zunes will never get an equalizer. It appears that Microsoft is going after the typical user and not the advance user or enthusiast market. It appears that Microsoft believes that the typical user does not know how to use a nine-band equalizer or a parametric equalizer.

Microsoft, how about believing that many of your users do have the knowledge? For those that do not, how about explaining it in the manual? Offer every Zune with a typical mode and an advanced-users-only mode. And, Microsoft, if you need guidance, please look at Rockbox.
Reply With Quote

  #38  
Old 03-30-2010, 05:58 AM
Zuniq Zuniq is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 298
Default

If there are only these features in the forthcoming update, then we talk about complete lack of communication between Microsoft and customers. We have been assured by Dave that we shall see great new features...i don't see something great about these features that are discussed in gizmodo (except divx/xvid support) and we know about them for so many months...so, what exactly is new and exciting? Smart DJ ? ...or the other streaming features which are a work of one week for a dedicated team? I really hope that Gizmodo is talking BS in that article...

Last edited by Zuniq; 03-30-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #39  
Old 03-30-2010, 07:03 AM
Joshnor713 Joshnor713 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 172
Default

Guys, it's stupid to get mad that we're not getting more than this, this is what they said we would get!

The Zune team probably wants more for the device but they're not supported well enough from Microsoft.

That's just how it is.
Reply With Quote

  #40  
Old 03-30-2010, 07:50 AM
allstars allstars is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syst3m View Post
Sigh... Remember how Dave said that he can't mention anything that hasn't been officially announced? Well if Gizmodo got a preview, they have to play by the same rules. The article does NOT say anywhere that the features mentioned are the only things in the new update, it just mentions stuff that has been announced. Wait and see for your self before going off the deep end... Even after it is released (and if some of the things you really want aren't in the current update), remember that it is still a few steps further then it once was.
I doubt it.
In the grand scheme of things, Zune HD isn't even that big of a deal. I doubt MSFT would have gone through the hassle of telling Gizmodo/Engadget NOT to report on things that Microsoft hadn't already talked about. Makes no sense. Zune HD is not some huge product that needs to be shrouded in a cloud of secrecy.

Unless there's some ADDITIONAL apps or something on the side with Zune 4.5, I'm guessing this is about it...
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.