android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 03-29-2010, 05:17 PM

Default Ummm....please don't tell me THIS is the Spring Update?? (Zune 4.5)

If this is true...then YAWN to the nth degree! Dang!

Zune 4.5 Update Has Smart DJ, On-TV Zune Marketplace, More Codecs

As promised (and as a sign that Microsoft isn't forgetting about Zune HD to work on Windows Phone 7), the Zune 4.5 update brings more video codec support and Smart DJ music discovery to the player.

I checked out Smart DJ on the Zune, and it's really similar to the Genius playlist on Apple devices, except if you have a Zune Pass (their $15 unlimited music subscription) the Smart DJ will download music directly from their store onto your player. This makes music discovery quite easy and convenient, since all you need is Wi-Fi access and Zune HD will gobble down 30 songs (some of which are from your own library) that are recommended for you. Quite neat, and meshes well with Zune's focus on music discovery in addition to just enjoying your own stuff.

Other cool things: Picks, which are recommendations from the Zune service (culled from community preferences as well), and the ability to browse and stream music from the Zune Marketplace when the Zune HD is docked to your TV. This makes it a nice Pandora-esque music-from-the-cloud setting you can get just by docking your Zune. There's also MPEG-4 Part 2 Advanced Simple Profile, which includes Xvid and AVI container support.

The download is going to be available in a couple weeks, and even Microsoft isn't quite sure when it will hit. We'll let you know when it does, cause Smart DJ is actually quite good when combined with a Zune Pass (which we like by itself already).

http://gizmodo.com/5504833/zune-45-u...ce-more-codecs

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-29-2010, 05:29 PM

Yeah I hope there are more things than basically just the smart DJ and codecs, especially if the update is still 2 or more weeks away. I think there will be more though, based on what Dave has said here.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:33 PM

If there isn't anymore then what they said from back in January I will be severely disappointed...again and how is Microsoft not sure when it's coming out, its there software.

In the mean time, does anybody want to predict how many weeks after these two it will come out?

Old 03-29-2010, 06:07 PM

"how is Microsoft not sure when it's coming out, it's there software."

Not to sound like an *ss but this is normal for any company. The company I work for (industrial automation products) of course has release schedules for main releases but firmware updates and additions are usually developed to make sure it works so no release schedules are announced at all for those. A first product release usually must be released on a specific date due to marketing issues so sometimes a feature or function might be left out just to get it out the door...therefore although I'm sure there are scheduled internal release dates for MS for updates, they are not held hard and fast if a problem or additional features are required and must be added.

Why is anyone surprised that nothing more is being added than what was publicly announced? I'll be very happy if those features are added and that's that. However, I will be a bit disappointed if none of the firmware bugs are not fixed(they normally do not pre-announce these items)...some people are never happy...strange I never heard a huge uproar about the lack of updates for most of my previous MP3 players...

I really think it's a mistake that MS pre-announces anything as you always get responses like the above...bad PR move from MS imho

Old 03-29-2010, 06:12 PM

Well somebody actually used the device and showed it meaning they would have seen any additional changes. They didn't mention any, which doesn't mean there won't be any, but is still weird that they didn't even say there were minor tweaks (I will say again, that doesn't mean there aren't any).

What I meant by "how do they not know when it is coming out" I'm not talking about exact strict dates. A company would know it's coming out next week, or the week after that, and if something were to change they would be able to say it will be out 3 weeks from now. The way it was applied seemed as if they had no clue when it will be upload by Joe the Zune Software updater (Joe is just a fictional character).

Old 03-29-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuneHD View Post
Well somebody actually used the device and showed it meaning they would have seen any additional changes. They didn't mention any, which doesn't mean there won't be any, but is still weird that they didn't even say there were minor tweaks (I will say again, that doesn't mean there aren't any).

What I meant by "how do they not know when it is coming out" I'm not talking about exact strict dates. A company would know it's coming out next week, or the week after that, and if something were to change they would be able to say it will be out 3 weeks from now. The way it was applied seemed as if they had no clue when it will be upload by Joe the Zune Software updater (Joe is just a fictional character).

Well from the fact that they have missed their scheduled updates on mostly every instance, it's probably a smart move for MS to just avoid giving any dates at all...in fact it's probably smart to stop announcing any updates either and just release them with a big bang when they come out...what is the saying "put up or shut up"? MS talks far too much publicly about non-released things compared with Apple for instance but gets much more flack because of it...

Old 03-29-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
If given an early preview by MS, they would probably have had to agree to not let anything more out then what was already officially announced.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:26 PM

If you look at what was talked about in the article it is all that has already been stated was being released. Just like here MS is not saying what else is coming so they (Gizmodo) were most likely only able to talk about these already stated things and nothing else.

Such is the way of business. Disclosure when it is ready and necessary.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
MS talks far too much publicly about non-released things compared with Apple for instance but gets much more flack because of it...
Listen, I'm not for Apple or anything, but most of the time there release dates are when they say they are; I'm pretty positive of this (of course I don't keep exact track of everything so I could be wrong).

Also I forgot to mention what you guys were thinking. I was about to edit my post to add that information in, but I was a little late. I know most of the time previewers aren't allowed to fully disclose every detail of what they are handling so it is entirely possible that they had to focus on the main features.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:38 PM

Awesome! So On-TV Marketplace and Picks would be the unannounced features Dave mentioned? I suppose there could be some other things, plus like someone above said maybe some bug fixes. But yeah I don't understand why people would be disappointed if they don't add anything beyond what was officially announced. Well I guess I can if they don't fix things like WAP2 support, the screen flicker issue, etc.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
Well I guess I can if they don't fix things like WAP2 support, the screen flicker issue, etc.
Thats what I want. I keep having my screen freeze when I try to unlock it after leaving it in sleep mode for awhile while listening to music (and I know a lot of other people have reported the same problem).

Old 03-29-2010, 06:53 PM

^ I just saw a comment from Dave that with this release they're focusing on bug fixes along with the mentioned media features. So I guess all we can do is hope for these things to be addressed. The one you mentioned I have seen quite often around the net.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:06 PM

I guess I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for some better playlist options on the device. I really want to be able to quickly play only liked songs for a given album, artist, genre, etc. If it doesn't happen I'll be OK but I'm hoping for some little gems like that.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:13 PM

The marketplace support for the AV dock is well and good, but I think a glaring omission is support for video streaming. I guess the lack of such a feature is an implied admission that the Zune HD lacks the power for such a feature.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:17 PM

I'm just glad anytime I see that the product is being worked on, so I'm happy with it

Zune HD + Support = More worth in the chunk of money we paid

Old 03-29-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker41 View Post
I guess I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for some better playlist options on the device. I really want to be able to quickly play only liked songs for a given album, artist, genre, etc. If it doesn't happen I'll be OK but I'm hoping for some little gems like that.
While that would be a welcome feature why not just make a few autoplaylists to do the same thing? Although that would be kind of a pain if you're talking a lot of heart ratings for artists and albums, genres not so bad.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:50 PM

Because I feel like I'd personally end up with several dozen auto playlists, making it very convoluted on the player. I feel like it wouldn't be that hard to add an option to just play "liked" songs from any given "play" button on the device.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstars View Post
and the ability to browse and stream music from the Zune Marketplace when the Zune HD is docked to your TV. This makes it a nice Pandora-esque music-from-the-cloud setting you can get just by docking your Zune.
Awesome! I just posted how nice this would be in the thread about the Ver 2 Dock yesterday! I didn't think they would do it, though.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 PM

A bit disappointed, but I don't necessarily need too many more features. I want the responsiveness issues fixed (pressing the home button five to ten times before the lock screen shows up on occasion, etc.) and maybe some UI changes/fixes (i.e. a seek bar for songs) just to keep things fresh and better. I doubt we'll see anymore than that though. Dave has said that the Zune team likes to underpromise and overdeliver, but besides the games release in November, I've seen no evidence of that thus far.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Thats what I want. I keep having my screen freeze when I try to unlock it after leaving it in sleep mode for awhile while listening to music (and I know a lot of other people have reported the same problem).
That's the same thing that happens to me! If it's left in "sleep" mode it takes several button presses to attempt to wake it up and/or 5+ swipes to get the lock screen to swipe up. Very frustrating and gives me slight pause before recommending the Zune HD to people (which I do enough of as it is).

With everything there is now, the On-TV Marketplace, picks, smart DJ, and Codecs, that makes for quite a release. If there are unannounced features, I would surely hope it's pervasive landscape mode throughout the interface with landscape-mode coverflow album view, playlist delete that DOESN'T delete the songs along with the playlist, and video playlists.