android
Old 03-29-2010, 01:10 AM

Default Zen Touch 60GB and Windows 7 help needed

I've got a Zen Touch 60GB I received about 4 years ago. This is technically the second as Creative refurbished my first one after two years. Anyhow, I stopped using this about two years ago when I jumped on an Ipod. Through a long series of events, I got rid of the Ipod, now have a Clip+ and wanted to start using my Zen Touch again.

The problem:
My current machine is running Windows 7, and it doesn't recognize my Zen. I no longer have the disc for the Zen Touch software. I was hoping that I would be able to upgrade the firmware, and possibly use it with MediaMonkey in the long run. I downloaded the most recent firmware from Creative, 2.11.01. I read that I needed the Creative MediaSource software to update the firmware. So I downloaded that, 5.10.38. Well, when I try to install it, I can't get it to work it keeps throwing up this message: Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system. As stated, my system doesn't recognize the Zen in the first place so how would this?

Anyhow, I'm at a loss and haven't had much luck finding answers. If anyone could lend me a hand that would be great.

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The System requirements for that firmware upgrade file is XP/SP2/WMP10 . Good thread on doing this. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=15538

Old 03-29-2010, 02:29 PM

So essentially I can't use it because I'm no longer using XP? Bummer.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedtofu View Post
Not true you just have to install it differently & if you can get access to a XP/SP2/WMP10 comp you can install the PFS firmware then. http://mrinternet.wordpress.com/2007...ether-finally/ I used this method to install some older players on my Vista computer. Works the same for Win7. The only difference is I would use Media Source5 & the plug-in for that. If you use MS5 for ripping CD's note that it does not do MP3. I use other programs for ripping CD's

Old 03-29-2010, 03:12 PM

So essentially if, I can use an XP machine, I can get the firmware on it, then go from there in Windows 7. Unfortunately I don't have the edition of of Win7 that allows XP mode so I will have to borrow my work machine.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot tonight and update on whether it worked or not.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:47 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedtofu View Post
If you have access to VmWare Workstation and some XP installation media, then you can. That's how I upgraded my Zen on my Windows 7 x64 system.