android
Old 03-28-2010, 08:06 AM

Default Zune HD Dock alternatives

I'm planning to buy a Zune HD 32 GB. With it I'd like to have the Zune HD Dock. But it's quite expensive. I read here that I could use a Ver 2 A/V Dock. Since that one is just 10 bucks I think it's reasonable priced. In the same thread I read that I can use it to play video's through the television too and that it comes with a remote? In the link I posted there isn't a remote mentioned. So, is it packed with a remote or where do I find a Ver2 A/V Dock with one? And I suppose the Ver 2 A/V Dock doesn't support 720p movies if I ever switch to a HDTV? And according to a review on amazon not all the cables needed to let the Zune HD dock work properly are provided, you need to buy the premium pack for those cables. Is this the same with the Ver 2 A/V Dock? If yes, what cables are missing?

Since I'd like to have more choices I thought there should be some third party docks. Do those third party docks exist and if they exist how are they?

Cheers for any help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-28-2010, 08:30 AM

I know when I bought mine it said it was a Zune Home AV Pack V2. This is the one I bought and referneced in that other thread...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product

- although it seems to have gone up since I got mine. I paid $13.95 with free shipping from Amazon direct.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:48 AM

Aha, and that one works with the zune HD with audio and video? And about the price, 25 bucks isnt very much.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:49 AM

I don't think it does. That looks like the one I bought for the Zune 120.

I bought the zuneHD dock and just could not get it to work properly. I hooked up the dock and connected the zuneHD to it, and would not get any sound. Would remove the dock and connect the zuneHD directly and it worked perfectly. Hooked up the Zune120 to the HD dock and that worked fine. But the ZuneHD would not work with the ZuneHD dock. The instructions were useless, and could find nothing online, so I returned it.

Odds are that it was just some silly thing I was doing wrong, but there was no troubleshooting guide that I could work through. So, I just connect it directly to my receiver now...

Last edited by Raymond231; 03-28-2010 at 08:55 AM.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broodbeleg View Post
Aha, and that one works with the zune HD with audio and video? And about the price, 25 bucks isnt very much.
Mine does indeed work with the Zune HD and the remote works too. Audio and Video - Music, Videos, Pictures, Radio and Podcasts on the player. Even the screen saver/photo stuff works on the TV with music playback.

I have mine output through the RCA jack AV cable that came with it (through my home stereo which runs to my TV) and choose TV Out - Composite Video on the player to get the audio and video displayed on my TV. And, if I don't choose the video out setting on the player, it will play audio just as if I had a cord connected from the headphone jack to my stereo.

Charging works too, of course. Obviously, it doesn't have a special insert that fits the HD but with no insert in it at all, the HD fits fine. I had originally bought it for my 80GB before I got the HD and it works the same for both.

I would imagine that it will not do HD output. But, I do not yet have an HD TV - and don't know a lot about HD TV, signals, output - so I can only guess it won't.

The only thing I wish it did was access the Marketplace when outputing video to the TV. It would be sweet to sit on the couch and have access to the Zune Marketplace on my TV.lol

Last edited by Stujoe; 03-28-2010 at 09:44 AM.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:55 AM

Both allow you to output video and audio to a TV. The more expensive Zune HD dock allows you to output in HD but if you have good quality videos, the difference isn't noticeable (at least not to me). Stujoe's response has the link to the one with a remote.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stujoe View Post
The only thing I wish it did was access the Marketplace when outputing video to the TV. It would be sweet to sit on the couch and have access to the Zune Marketplace on my TV.lol
If the update is true...this may be coming! Sweet indeed.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:18 AM

That would be sweet indeed. However, I'm buying the zune and the dock for the stuff they can do already. So I wont mind if it wont be possible, ever.

Thanks for the help Stujoe, I'll buy the Zune Home AV Pack V2 and the Zune HD 32 GB combo!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:31 AM

I wasn't impressed at all with the v2 dock and Hd combo...the remote doesn't work, audio is fine but video didn't look as good as my HD dock.

my suggestion is to buy the charging dock for $50 and get a cheap HDMI cable off ebay or craigslist or something (i got 4 HDMI cables for $9 shipped from 1saleaday.com....but i know you can get a good HDMI cable for like $5) and call it a day...it will work great and you can still output HD files yet you still have the choice to use the composite cables with a non HD TV.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Buddy

FYI guys - the v2 dock doesn't allow HD output, so your observation that "video didn't look as good" is accurate and expected.

Your tip about buying the sync dock and using your own HDMI cable is totally fine too. The docks themselves are identical between the sync dock pack and the AV dock pack.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdbogls View Post
I wasn't impressed at all with the v2 dock and Hd combo...the remote doesn't work,
The Ver 2 AV Dock remote? Mine works fine with the HD...

Old 03-31-2010, 06:16 PM

Just got a V2 AV dock to use with my Zune HD, and the remote does not work for me, either! I checked the battery to make sure it was still good, but no success. I can get the TV screen to display the menu, but nothing I do with the remote seems to work. Any ideas other than wrapping it up and sending it back???

Old 03-31-2010, 06:39 PM

I don't have to do anything special to make mine work. Just point it at the Zune. It only works when it is displaying on the TV, though...but I thnk that is the same way it works with my Ver 2 player also.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:50 PM

Yeah, I know I have to point the device at the Zune, but even at less than an inch away, nothing happens...

Old 03-31-2010, 08:17 PM

Just to make sure...you have the Zune outputting video to your TV when trying to use the remote?

Old 03-31-2010, 10:31 PM

Yes, the TV screen displays the menu of Music, Video, Podcasts, etc.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:53 AM

Then I have no idea why it does not work like mine does. Sorry.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stujoe View Post
The Ver 2 AV Dock remote? Mine works fine with the HD...
yeah.....i should have clarified. it worked on the TV, but when i used it at work, i couldn't navigate through the menu with the remote like i could with the 120GB...i guess that was to be expected tho.

i love the HD dock tho...can't wait for the update...so many xvid HD files to play THANK YOU MS

Old 04-01-2010, 05:43 PM

Ah, ok. Makes sense. I never had occasion to use the remote, even with my 80GB, unless I was outputting to the TV through the AV dock. I only bought the AV dock to use the Zunes though the TV.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:31 AM

I was just browsing through my video collection and noticed a lot 720p movies. Although my television isn't a HDTV it would be awesome to just be able to not have to redownload a lower quality one. So I searched for the sync dock on amazon, and found it. Hooray! However, can I still connect it to my tv with the delivered cables or do you have to buy those separately like the hdmi one?

Cheers for any help again.