android
Old 11-03-2010, 05:23 AM

I haven't had any ear-shattering experiences yet, in the two hours I used that build, but thanks for the warning.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-03-2010, 08:21 AM

It's not certain that it is caused by the frequency scaling thing, becase of all the different patches in that build. I'll switch back to a build which has only frequency scaling enabled. Saratogas build ran stable for many days, dftks build crashed several times already, though fortunately only once in the way decribed above. If this build will crash in the same way, my ears will at least be sacrificed for the cause of knowdlege

Old 11-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

If anyone on Earth still uses ATRAC3, I just made it waaay faster on the Clip+, Clipv2 and Fuzev2. Someone, somewhere will care about that. I hope.

But atrac is kind of like mp3, so maybe some of the ideas i got looking at it will work for mp3 too. Which would be nice, I'm tired of Vorbis being so much faster then mp3 on my player...

Old 11-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the heads up and all the hard work. I don't have a single ATRAC3 file so the immediate news won't affect me at all. It's nice to know this may help speed up .mp3 though. Vorbis works well for me but my wife has players that don't support it.

It can be very messy maintaining two lossy libraries. It would be nice to have a single format that works equally well with all the players in the house.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:54 PM

I'm just kidding. I know ATRAC is useless. I was just working on it because its easy to optimize, kind of like MP3 but simpler, and I know the code pretty well since I mentored the GSOC project that wrote most of it. I've never really done any optimization specifically for the new arm cores in the AMSv2 players, so I needed to start out simple

Old 11-10-2010, 03:36 PM

Do ATRAC files even exist outside of MDs? I know Sony made sure that you have to convert everything back and forth, jump through every hoop possible with their (aptly named) OMG nonsense. I thought getting ATRAC off MDs must result in a transcoding in any way.

Nevertheless, good job Saratoga - if it helps getting more battery life out of LAME.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Time out... You're saying we get this type of performance with .mp3 and it isn't fully optimized? That's almost scary.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Thanks for the heads up and all the hard work. I don't have a single ATRAC3 file so the immediate news won't affect me at all. It's nice to know this may help speed up .mp3 though. Vorbis works well for me but my wife has players that don't support it.

It can be very messy maintaining two lossy libraries. It would be nice to have a single format that works equally well with all the players in the house.
That's why I've stuck with LAME, even though Vorbis gets such good battery life with rockbox. Right now, all my players are rockboxed, so they'll play just about anything.....but if in the future I get a player that doesn't run rockbox, I don't want to have to re-convert everything for compatibility.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:18 PM

Some realaudio files contain atrac3, so thats what I used. I still haven't figured out how to actually encode them, but theres some samples on the internet.

Edit: yeah mp3 is not well optimized for the amsv2 CPUs. Its optimized for the older arm7tdmi cores.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
If anyone on Earth still uses ATRAC3, I just made it waaay faster on the Clip+, Clipv2 and Fuzev2. Someone, somewhere will care about that. I hope.
You are talking about Atrac3, not Atrac3+? I bought a Sony NWHD1 a few years ago and ripped around 600 albums to Atrac3+. Then Sony dropped the Atrac format, and I was stuck with them. The nice thing about NWHD1 and Atrac3+ is that it was gapless.

I have bought a couple of players since then. One had gapless support for ogg, but not mp3. The next player didn't support ogg, so I was stuck again. This is one of the main reasons to use Rockbox, because it supports almost any format (except Atrac3+).

Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 AM

Just atrac3. No one knows how ATRAC3+ works, the format is undocumented and unpopular enough that it was never reverse engineered.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idroy View Post
Hmmm, I got alot of crashes aswell, sometimes it didn't even show up in explorer, and some times it freezes at the "usb cable screen". Weird, never had those problems with my old build, plus I just rebooted it again (to reload my database) and I got a black screen again.

At the moment I'm trying my v3.7 build without the cpu scaling, so far so good...

*edit*
http://www.mediafire.com/?4j390qyw359btfz , this is my 3.7 build with usb and without the cpu scaling stuff.
With this build I got the exact same 'ear shattering experience' I had with dfkt's 'linear scaling' build. I also noticed frequent random (every 10 minutes or so) clicks in the right channel. And got some crashes. My source files (self LAME encoded mp3's) are fine.

So yah, looking for a recent build with the volume change, no backlight patch and no sudden noise-attacks :P

Old 11-12-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelbo View Post
With this build (http://www.mediafire.com/?4j390qyw359btfz , ... [Idroy's] 3.7 build with usb and without the cpu scaling stuff.) I got the exact same 'ear shattering experience' I had with dfkt's 'linear scaling' build. I also noticed frequent random (every 10 minutes or so) clicks in the right channel. And got some crashes. My source files (self LAME encoded mp3's) are fine.
Interesting. I've used this build for over 20 hours with absolutely zero problems.

Wonder what variable accounts for the difference?

I have meier cross feed enabled, but no other added processing (no equalizer or bass/treble). Usually have volume set -42dB to -35dB.

My media are nearly all mp3s from eMusic, Amazon, and my own fbr CD rips. Also a few flacs. No problems so far with anything I've played from any of these sources.

I suppose it's possible there is a hardware issue with your player but it's difficult to make an accurate deduction without more reports from other people using this build.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:39 PM

I'm using an EQ preset (Timar's Klipsch Image S4), +3dB bass, overall volume between -20 and -7 and Meier crossfeed.

I've used dfkt builds in the past for months without any crash whatsoever.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:53 PM

Hmmm, weird. I didn't get an 'ear shattering experience' with my build. And I used it over 20 hours aswell.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, weird. I didn't get an 'ear shattering experience' with my build. And I used it over 20 hours aswell.
Maybe something in my config? When I update I extract the contents of the archive over my existing Rockbox files.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, weird. I didn't get an 'ear shattering experience'4), +3dB bass, overall volume between -20 and -7 and Meier crossfeed.

I've used dfkt builds in the past for months without any crash wha with my build. And I used it over 20 hours aswell.
Same result as you and I I've used far longer than that. 0 glitches or any unpredicted events.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Maybe something in my config? When I update I extract the contents of the archive over my existing Rockbox files.
Probably the only way to find out is to experiment. You could back up your current config and start testing with the default config, playing the tracks that you've had problems with. If that config works OK then start adding your original configuration settings back one at a time, testing as you go.

Another approach would be to stay with your current config and disable the eq and bass. So far all we know is that yours is not working while mine seems to be OK and that I am not using the equalizer or the bass while you are.

Need more configuration data like that from more users not having problems and any others who are to see what the common factors are.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I'm using an EQ preset (Timar's Klipsch Image S4), +3dB bass, overall volume between -20 and -7 and Meier crossfeed.

I've used dfkt builds in the past for months without any crash whatsoever.
Absolutely no problems with that build here, too. Did you try it without the EQ preset? I remember when I was messing with some presets before, some of them were making weird noises from time to time.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:22 AM

I do use the equalizer. Oh well, to make it easier, I'll post my config files, so you can see exactly how I configured rockbox, maybe that will help.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6ihwhz6x5vmcjyh