android
Old 11-01-2010, 12:52 AM

Yep, it's definitely the last patch he added, I got very slow response, too, and total crash after five songs with it. Probably going back to his previous one since it's worked great.

Btw, does anybody know why exactly is Rockbox considered stable now? The USB still doesn't seem to work (I tried new dfkt's build), I always thought that was the major hiccup before going stable

Last edited by buzzo; 11-01-2010 at 01:13 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, 3.6 was considered stable on the Fuze V1, yet the USB support wasn't finished for it until afterwards. So it must be some other criteria besides that.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 AM
Administrator

Here's the Wiki page with the criteria. http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/TargetClassifications. The first line says:
Quote:
A main Rockbox build that enables the device to be used as a digital music player. Rockbox does not support charging or USB on every player, and in those cases the port must support dual-booting into the original firmware to enable those features.
so it seems the people who are waiting for USB support are missing the boat and waiting for something that may or may not ever happen.

I've personally considered the Clip+ Rockbox port to be stable since back in the spring sometime. I can't remember the time I had a crash using a current build. I'd hate to think of all the sweet tunes I would have missed in that time waiting for a perfectly usable Rockbox port to declared "stable".

USB support? I guess that'll get there when it gets there. Until then pressing << or holding the"home" button to boot to the OF is a really cheap price to pay for all the benefits I get.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Agreed!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:53 AM

Well, luckily enough, the USB patch included in Idroy's builds works fine, at least for me. Can't imagine going back to having to boot to the OF now. So I thought maybe it was very close to be done and now with the stable release they finally add it into official build. Well, I was wrong.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
USB support? I guess that'll get there when it gets there. Until then pressing << or holding the"home" button to boot to the OF is a really cheap price to pay for all the benefits I get.
It's more about the OF's obnoxious lengthy database refresh... but yeah, no hurry.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I never thought to compare Clip+ refresh time to Fuze refresh time, but my full 8+16GB Fuze refreshed in just over three minutes, the last time I timed it.

Seems like the Clip+ takes a little longer, but I suppose to truly compare you'd need the exact same files on both players.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:16 AM

In regard to the USB support, I wouldn't wait for it and I love Rockbox so much which makes that a small issue, but I confess that ldroy's patch work really spoiled me. And his previous build was really stable in all respects, even the USB function (thus creating this addiction of mine to a fully rockboxed clip+).

Old 11-01-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzo View Post
Well, luckily enough, the USB patch included in Idroy's builds works fine, at least for me. Can't imagine going back to having to boot to the OF now.
Worked fine for me too. Idroy's first build worked great overall. I think if he took the frequency scaling out of his 3.7 build it would also be fine.

Or if dfkt added the USB patch to his 3.7 build, that would please me too. So far the dfkt 3.7 build has been stable for me playing the same high bit rate tracks that crashed Idroy's.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
Worked fine for me too. Idroy's first build worked great overall. I think if he took the frequency scaling out of his 3.7 build it would also be fine.
I think I'm going to remove the cpu scaling patch, I got alot of problems with it aswell. Sorry for that, I didn't test it before I uploaded it . I'm going to recompile now. It's probably done in an hour or something (got ubuntu on a old, slow machine).

Old 11-01-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
I asked funman about that a while ago. Apparently changing PCLK is harder then just boosting FCLK. IIRC when you boost fclk you can just switch which source is used for it, but changing PCLK requires actually relocking a PLL. But yes, maxing PCLK at 65MHz when boosting would be nice, since everything is faster with increased PCLK.
Ok, but if it is actually the change to PCLK that causes the crashes, it may be a good compromise.

Quote:
What noise do you get normally? I usually don't hear anything.
Some unamplified warbling noise during SD access. It didn't disappear but is now much more silent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idroy View Post
I think I'm going to remove the cpu scaling patch, I got alot of problems with it aswell. Sorry for that, I didn't test it before I uploaded it . I'm going to recompile now. It's probably done in an hour or something (got ubuntu on a old, slow machine).
Did you use the deprecated CPU scaling patch from flyspray or did you just set HAVE_ADJUSTABLE_CPU_FREQ like saratoga suggested?

Last edited by Timar; 11-01-2010 at 11:14 AM.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:18 AM

I used the one from flyspray (v11). I thought it would do the same thing as uncommenting HAVE_ADJUSTABLE_CPU_FREQ. I guess it didn't then, sorry for ignoring the suggestion.

Compiling the 3.7 build with the meier crossfeed and the usb support is almost done though. I'll upload it after I have eaten my dinner :P.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I used the one from flyspray (v11). I thought it would do the same thing as uncommenting HAVE_ADJUSTABLE_CPU_FREQ. I guess it didn't then, sorry for ignoring the suggestion.

Compiling the 3.7 build with the meier crossfeed and the usb support is almost done though. I'll upload it after I have eaten my dinner :P.
You should uncomment HAVE_ADJUSTABLE_CPU_FREQ for your next build though, it really works well on my Clip, no crashes at all.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timar View Post
Ok, but if it is actually the change to PCLK that causes the crashes, it may be a good compromise.
PCLK doesn't change, only FCLK. Eventually I want to see about changing PCLK, since I think that might be more efficient but funman said it looked hard to do.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:45 AM

I'll upload one with the adjustable CPU freq, and the one without it.

BTW, the problem I had with building the database isn't solved yet, I just tried a build with bootloader from the rockbox utility. I'll try formatting everything, I hope that will help :P

*edit* reformating the whole player including the micro sd card didn't work.

Last edited by Idroy; 11-01-2010 at 11:52 AM.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:56 AM

Since it works for Saratoga and Timar, I'm going to try frequency scaling as well. Also added USB support, but I'm still somewhat wary about it, don't like to reset/fsck/format/etc my Clip+ that much... let's hope it goes well.

[Download removed, crashes often.]

Old 11-01-2010, 12:00 PM

A thanks, don't need to upload my build now . I'll try it, hopefully the database gets fully builded now. Ah finally after reformating everything and putting all my music back on the player, it works now

Old 11-01-2010, 12:02 PM

I got a data abort error on first USB connect, but the next few appeared to be working. So, buyer beware, USB seems flakey.

The best thing with Rockbox USB is that you can delete over 200MB (!) of crap the stock firmware left behind in its two "#xxx" folders- enough space for several additional albums.

EDIT - it crashed a few more times, so I removed the download link above.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:07 PM

No problems here so far, the only problem I got was when I first booted into RB I got a black screen, it was only showing the top part of the screen (so it showed the battery level and the volume level).

Old 11-01-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
No problems here so far, the only problem I got was when I first booted into RB I got a black screen, it was only showing the top part of the screen (so it showed the battery level and the volume level).
Maybe I got lucky, but I had 0 problems, seemed quite stable for my expectations. As a note, I use my clip+ everyday, I recharge it everyday and always using Rockbox (at least since your build included the USB transfer patch).