android
Old 10-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatsunil View Post
Just a couple of days on this forum only but I think that's the best advice I've heard!
Every once in a while I have a good idea.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-06-2010, 11:41 PM

Whatever sounds right to you?

Thats what I thought...lol

I need to learn what the psychical effects of the Q parameter and cutoff settings, how they change the sounds thru my phones, basically.
TANJ

Xbox Live GT: TANJENT PLOP

Old 10-07-2010, 12:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't do anything with the Q parameter. As far as the cutoffs, hmm....how best to explain?
Quote:
Band 0: Low shelf filter. The low shelf filter boosts or lowers all frequencies below a certain frequency limit, much as the “bass” control found on ordinary stereo systems does. Adjust the “cutoff” frequency parameter to decide where the shelving starts to take effect. For example, a cutoff frequency of 50 Hz will adjust only very low frequencies. A cutoff frequency of 200 Hz, on the other hand, will adjust a much wider range of bass frequencies. The “gain” parameter controls how much the loudness of the band is adjusted. Positive numbers make the EQ band louder, while negative numbers make that EQ band quieter. The “Q” parameter should always be set to 0.7 for the shelving filters.
So, for example, mine is set at 100Hz, which means that Band 0 will boost or lower all freguencies below 100Hz....which I vary depending on which headphones I am using at the time(not for different styles of music, although some people choose to do that). Now you might ask, what does 100Hz sound like to me?

Install foobar2000 and set it up to display the spectrum analyzer visual....

Right there ^^ at the bottom, those bars are labeled as to what frequencies they represent. Watch them as you listen, and you can tinker with the foobar EQ to see its effect on the sound and those moving bars. Then you'll learn what frequency=what sound you hear, and you'll have a better idea what to adjust to get your preferred sound.
Quote:
Bands 1-3: Peaking filters. Peaking EQ filters boost or lower a frequency range centered at the centre frequency chosen. Graphic equalizers in home stereos are usually peaking filters. The peaking filters in Rockbox’s EQ lets you adjust three different parameters for EQ bands 1 through 3. The “centre” parameter controls the centre frequency of the frequency range that is affected as described above. The “gain” parameter controls how much each band is adjusted, and works as for the low shelf filter. Finally, the “Q” parameter controls how wide or narrow the affected frequency range is. Higher Q values will affect a narrower band of frequencies, while lower Q values will affect a wider band of frequencies.
Again, as I said, I don't adjust the Q parameter, at least not at this point....I have specific frequencies set for bands 1-3 that I only adjust the gain on, whether I boost or not depends on which headphones I am using.
Quote:
Band 4: High shelf filter. A high shelf filter boosts or lowers all frequencies above a certain frequency limit, much as the “treble” control found on ordinary stereo systems does. The high shelf filter is adjusted the same way as the low shelf filter, except that it works on the high end of the frequency spectrum rather than the low end.
This is the same idea as the low shelf filter, only in this case, it's the higher frequencies....so whether yours is set at 5kHz, 10kHz, whatever, you're boosting everything at that level and above.
Quote:
As a general guide, EQ band 0 should be used for low frequencies, EQ bands 1 through 3 should be used for mids, and EQ band 4 should be used for highs.
All quotes here are from the http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manua/rockbox-sansaclipplus/rockbox-build.html

If that doesn't answer your questions, Tanjent, then you're beyond my ability to help.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:27 AM

You are well within the ability level mate..

I have read the manual, and understand what you are syaing Marvin.

LS cutoff is at 200 for the MS1's.

I leave the others cutoffs stock, and only play with the gains.
Sounds good to me

Thanks Marvin.
TANJ.

Getting Foobar now. No foobar for Linux

Old 10-07-2010, 12:52 AM

OK - all that just went right over my head! Woosh!!! Oh Well....nevermind.

I really salute you guys for all your technical capabilities.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:55 AM

I got Audacity.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:42 AM

Hi,
I got question about "DFKT Minimum Clip" theme.
It's no showing russian ID3 tags in WPS. I guess there is no cyrillic fonts in 08-Atadore.
Is there any solution to add support of cyrillic symbols??
I tried to switch default codepage in settings, didn't help.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:00 AM

You can use any other font with the theme, simply choose one in the theme settings. Which fonts support Cyrillic, I don't know.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANJENT View Post
You are well within the ability level mate..

I have read the manual, and understand what you are syaing Marvin.

LS cutoff is at 200 for the MS1's.

I leave the others cutoffs stock, and only play with the gains.
Sounds good to me

Thanks Marvin.
TANJ.

Getting Foobar now. No foobar for Linux
The best thing about the Rockbox EQ, to me, is the ability to set for yourself the frequency of each band, and not be locked into a preset one....giving you the capability to truly tailor it for your own ears and headphones.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I got Audacity.
I've never used Audacity, but I know there are other people here that use it.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
You can use any other font with the theme, simply choose one in the theme settings. Which fonts support Cyrillic, I don't know.
I think there's a Unicode font, which would be a safe bet. Might even be in the font pack...

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/RockboxExtras

Old 10-07-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuseling View Post
I think there's a Unicode font, which would be a safe bet. Might even be in the font pack...

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/RockboxExtras
There is no font named Unicode, but i found that "Nimbus" supports cyrillic, and "Fixed" supports all Unicode symbols (even ā, ē, ī, ū, which usually is not present in custom fonts).

Old 10-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Found the page of Unicode fonts on the Rockbox Wiki. It lists several that should work.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:44 PM

Well, I was 1/3rd right!

Old 10-07-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
The best thing about the Rockbox EQ, to me, is the ability to set for yourself the frequency of each band, and not be locked into a preset one....giving you the capability to truly tailor it for your own ears and headphones.
I have been playing with the cutoff and gain, on the LS.
I think I have it down.
Q does not seem to effect anything i can notice also

Thanks for you advice Marvin
TANJ
Edit: Audacity was the wrong thing, way too advanced...

Old 10-07-2010, 07:29 PM

Default Read folder problem

Folks,
I am having weird problem with Rockbox.
My Rockbox can not read Folder name correctly.
For example, i have folder called Babyface, on the Rockbox this folder is read as AC050000_New_Folder. On the OF (using MTP) that folder read correctly as Babyface. The contents of that folder is read correctly on both firmware.

Is anybody having this problem? how to solve this? is there any suggestion how to put music file correctly on the Sansa Clip+? I am using r28209-101005 firmware.

Anyway Rockbox is ROCK !!! ...

Regards

Old 10-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Administrator

That's usually caused by loading the player in MTP or Autodetect mode. Try deleting the folders and reloading in MSC mode. In the OF go to Main Menu=> Settings=> USB mode=> choose MSC. Reload the player. They should show correctly then.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Battery bench result from the build saratoga posted, 16hrs 43 mins. It seems as if it crashed rather than ran out of power.

It didn't connect immediately when I connect to the computer. I had to do a hold the power button 20 sec. reset. The battery_ bench.txt file also just stops indicating 8% power left. It's usually ends "---Battery bench ended, reason: power off".

Pretty impressive increase in battery life though. This same player running the same playlist of -q5 ogg vorbis files just a 3 weeks ago powered down at 14 15 hrs. 48 mins.

Last edited by skip252; 10-08-2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Corrected older runtime

Old 10-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow, nice results skip252. Clearly a bit of ironing out to do but that is great. If the remaining battery was accurate, looking at like possibly 18+ hours with saratoga's build under OGG Vorbis on Clip+?

Sweet indeed.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I have been playing with the cutoff and gain, on the LS.
I think I have it down.
Q does not seem to effect anything i can notice also

Thanks for you advice Marvin
TANJ
Edit: Audacity was the wrong thing, way too advanced...
Glad I was able to help.