android
Old 10-02-2010, 07:05 AM

Default crossfeed, eq don't work?

Stoopid question, and apologies in advance if I missed a reply anywhere. I bought a clip+ a few weeks ago for the sole purpose of Rockboxing it. It's great, exactly what I've always wanted: gapless playback, replay gain, crossfading... all the things I formerly had to dedicate a laptop running foobar2000 to. Thanks to the 48 pages of posts, it took me 2 minutes to be up and running.

So I started poking around crossfeed, and noticed seems to not actually do anything when I enable it. I thought it might just be my ears not catching subtle nuances, but it REALLY doesn't seem to do anything. It looks like the EQ is also not doing anything either when I change the settings. Same with stereo width -- 0% seems to be same as 100%. On the other hand, settings such as karaoke mode are clearly working.

So, is this a known issue? Maybe only with clip+?

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Welcome to ABI

All of the sound enhancements you list are working for me on all my Rockboxed players including the Clip+. You may be having setup issues. Try making adjustments with the help of the manual. They have the little things documented there like how to to activate stereo width,
Quote:
6.6 Stereo Width

Stereo width allows you to manually specify the effect that is applied when the Channels setting is set to “custom. All values below 100% will progressively mix the contents of one channel into the other. This has the effect of gradually centering the stereo image, until you have monophonic sound at 0%. Values above 100% will progressively remove components in one channel that is also present in the other. This has the effect of widening the stereo field. A value of 100% will leave the stereo field unaltered.
as an example. Getting things set right is going to take some reading and experimentation.

Some of the effect like crossfeed can be subtle but definite. A lot of what you hear will depend on a number of factors including headphones. Most of them won't be heard much with the stock earbuds. When I use better headphones crossfeed goes from subtle to essential. Most of the older hardpanned Jazz I listen to will come from mostly one earpiece without crossfeed. The effect is less obvious but still very pleasing with even the most modern of music properly adjusted.

With a decent set of headphones and some time spent with the manual you should be able to shape your sound settings to suit yourself nicely.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:30 PM

I was willing to accept that maybe I couldn't hear the subtleties of flipping crossfeed on and off, but I could not accept setting the stereo width to 0% and not getting mono sound. In terms of setup, I did follow the directions on the front page here, and actually read through about 75% of the manual. Ah well. Thanks for the pointer!

Last edited by Erik Olson; 10-05-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
(...) It looks like the EQ is also not doing anything either when I change the settings. (...)
You also have to enable the EQ before the settings take effect.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
I was willing to accept that maybe I couldn't hear the subtleties of flipping crossfeed on and off, but I could not accept setting the stereo width to 0% and not getting mono sound. In terms of setup, I did follow the directions on the front page here, and actually read through about 75% of the manual. Ah well. Thanks for the pointer!
I'm a new Clip+ user but I've noticed that each time I change the stereo width, I have to go back to the equalizer setting to "enable" equalizer to hear the changes. Also what skip252 said - Channels setting must be set to "custom" first to enable stereo width changes.

I'm also finding that I prefer to have Crossfeed set to "Off" even though most threads on this forum talk about how great crossfeed is Am I the only strange one?

Old 10-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatsunil View Post
I'm a new Clip+ user but I've noticed that each time I change the stereo width, I have to go back to the equalizer setting to "enable" equalizer to hear the changes. Also what skip252 said - Channels setting must be set to "custom" first to enable stereo width changes.

I'm also finding that I prefer to have Crossfeed set to "Off" even though most threads on this forum talk about how great crossfeed is Am I the only strange one?
No, you're not.....I don't like the crossfeed either.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:36 PM

No CF for me either...

Xbox Live GT: TANJENT PLOP

Old 10-05-2010, 11:00 PM

don't like CF too!

Old 10-06-2010, 02:58 AM

Diehards

Old 10-06-2010, 06:29 AM

Have you guys tried the new Meier crossfeed patch (included in dfkt's build)? I can't live without it now and I also was not very sure about crossfeed before.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:41 AM

can that be patched on the fuze v1?it's what i mainly use now and i'm such a noob when it comes to programming and such

Old 10-06-2010, 07:42 AM

The Meier implementation sure sounds great to my ears as well. Maybe Bertrik is going to make it adjustable (according to the tracker page), but I don't think that's absolutely necessary.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:38 AM

Yeah, no more fiddling needed, I think I'm set

Old 10-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Heres a custom build I made for my player that has frequency scaling enabled. It seems to work for me, but it may have stability issues. If its stable, I want to enable frequency scaling in the main build since it'll improve battery life.

http://duke.edu/~mgg6/rockbox/rockbo...s-frequency.7z

Old 10-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Thanks for sharing. I'll get it loaded now and report here one way or the other about any stability issues. Unless you would like me to post it somewhere else?

Old 10-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Here is fine. Just curious if anything in particular breaks.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Administrator

I've been taking it through all it's paces with pretty good results. Playback on all the formats I use, .ogg, .mp3 and .wma has worked fine for the few hours I've been using this build. Any changes to my settings have worked fine. The few FLAC and .m4a files tested worked fine too.

Got 2 data aborts. One when resuming playback after powering down. The playback had been paused when I powered down.
Code:
Data abort at 30027510
FRS 0x8
Domain 0, fault 8
Address
0x88023013
The other occurred when loading a .config file. Playback was active at the time.
Code:
Data abort at 30027510
FRS 0x8
Domain 0, fault 8
Address
0x61023018
Following the exact same procedures neither one will repeat. I used chkdsk /f /r to check the disks for errors. None were found. I'm charging it for a battery bench now.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzo View Post
Have you guys tried the new Meier crossfeed patch (included in dfkt's build)? I can't live without it now and I also was not very sure about crossfeed before.
I only use it when the instruments seem to hardpanned to one side..
That only happens with some older tracks

Other than that its off.
Anyone have any EQ settings for MS1 headphones...
TANJ

Xbox Live GT: TANJENT PLOP

Old 10-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANJENT View Post
I only use it when the instruments seem to hardpanned to one side..
That only happens with some older tracks

Other than that its off.
Anyone have any EQ settings for MS1 headphones...
TANJ
Whatever sounds right to you?

Old 10-06-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Whatever sounds right to you?
Just a couple of days on this forum only but I think that's the best advice I've heard!