android
Old 06-13-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiang View Post
Hey guys! I've made a new theme, based on the "literal" theme. I just changed the positions and the font, so that the unicode font "sazanami-mincho-10" fits perfectly. It works with all clips (v1,v1, clip +) You can download it from: http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=sansaclipv2

Cool. Nice to see someone using/modifying my theme.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-13-2010, 05:36 PM

ETA - Solved, see ETA below.

Is the text viewer plugin broken for everyone? Opening a simple test file (on dfkt's latest build) yields;

Quote:
Data abort
at 308009F4
FSR 0x8
(domain 0, fault 8)
address 0x62BA4A5F
I notice; http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/11399

This makes me sad - I wanted to be able to use my Clip+ for a holiday phrasebook. Are there any plugins, third party or otherwise, known to work for reading text? No bells/whistles/precompiled binaries required at all?

P.S. Another vote for the oppressed two-finger-key-lock minority!

-ETA-

This post points out that the text editor and viewer are different plugins... and the editor does work.

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=25070.0

I felt moved to write "Don't Panic" on the back of my clip in celebration - Rockboxed it's the closest thing to a hitch hikers' guide I've yet laid my hands on...

Last edited by Confuseling; 06-14-2010 at 03:16 PM.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuseling View Post
I felt moved to write "Don't Panic" on the back of my clip in celebration - Rockboxed it's the closest thing to a hitch hikers' guide I've yet laid my hands on...
Hahaha, I remember putting the "Don't Panic" wallpaper on my old Rockboxed iAudio X5.

Art

Old 06-16-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiang View Post
Hey guys! I've made a new theme, based on the "literal" theme. I just changed the positions and the font, so that the unicode font "sazanami-mincho-10" fits perfectly. It works with all clips (v1,v1, clip +) You can download it from: http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=sansaclipv2

how could I install this theme? it's important to me that have many asian songs with asian font.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwib View Post
how could I install this theme? ...
Unzip it to the root directory, the zip file contains the directory structure needed to put the theme components in the right place.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwib View Post
how could I install this theme? it's important to me that have many asian songs with asian font.
Read the manual.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:14 AM

Dfkt,

On your volume settings, at right about -32 it is quit quiet, but at -31 there is quit a boost in volume. Is that the way it is supposed to be?

I am not complaining just wondering if that is what it is supposed to be.

thanks

Old 06-16-2010, 08:48 AM

Clipster, I noticed that too - actually it's an anomaly between volume levels -32 to -26. I notice it even more since I have pan/balance enabled, and in that volume range the pan/balance shifts around as well, next to the larger jump in volume.

I just made a new build with Saratoga's way of altering the volume level, and it has smooth transitions in that volume area - but I think it's not as loud as the other two variants, suggested by Funman and Timar. I will have to test that to be sure.

Actually, Timar's post I linked above contradicts Saratoga's patch. Can anyone clarify the situation - which is the "most proper" way of altering the volume?

Old 06-16-2010, 09:47 AM

Here's the results, comparing the three different ways of altering the volume level (and the default build as well).

RMAA results (0dB, 16 Ohm): http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Temp/...comparison.htm

Volume comparison:

Code:
Funman		 -9.9dB
Timar		-10.1dB
Default		-16.1dB
Saratoga	-17.2dB
Funman's and Timar's variants achieve pretty much the same results. Saratoga's patch doesn't increase volume compared to the default build, it's actually a bit quieter. Maybe because more volume gets subtracted than in the other variants (hph_r = vol_r - 0x1b; hph_l = vol_l - 0x1b)?

Old 06-16-2010, 09:56 AM

So, you would suggest that Funman's version might be the way to go, if i want the greatest volume level adjustment?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:04 AM

The Timar and Funman versions are equally loud, the 0.2dB difference is random and negligible, since I recorded white noise over an analog out/input. The difference is that with the way Funman suggested altering the volume, the jump in volume and pan/balance is now between -40 to -35dB, contrary to the Timar-version I posted before.

Here's a new build with the Funman-volume setting: http://www.mediafire.com/?jyo1mj5z2jm

Old 06-16-2010, 10:07 AM

Hey thanks.

I truly appreciate yours and everyone's knowledge and abilities in this.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Rockbox Developer

the as3527 datasheet might be helpful on this topic, the audio registers description is pretty much similar to what is found in the as3543 chip present in the clip+/clipv2/fuzev2.

I have the as3543 datasheet too but I told AustriaMicroSystems that I would keep it private so I can't redistribute it, but if you need something which isn't described in the rockbox source code feel free to ask me or other rockbox developers as they have this document.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:24 PM

So is the so-called funman version this?:

Quote:
If you want to change your rockbox build, edit firmware/drivers/audio/as3514.c function audiohw_set_master_vol and change "mix_r = 0x16" and "mix_l = 0x16" into any number. The value ranges from 0 (minimum volume) to 0x1f (31, maximum volume).
0x1b seems to be preferred here. But isn't that the same as in saratoga's version, i.e.:
Quote:
+ if (vol_r <= 0x1b) {
+ mix_r = vol_r;
+ hph_r = 0;
+ } else {
+ mix_r = 0x1b;
+ hph_r = vol_r - 0x1b;
+ }
+
+ if (vol_l <= 0x1b) {
+ mix_l = vol_l;
+ hph_l = 0;
+ } else {
+ mix_l = 0x1b;
+ hph_l = vol_l - 0x1b;
+ }
+#else /* lets leave the AS3514 alone*/
if (vol_r <= 0x16) {
mix_r = vol_r;
hph_r = 0;
@@ -266,7 +285,8 @@
} else {
mix_l = 0x16;

hph_l = vol_l - 0x16;
Can somebody post the full code for funman's?

Btw very happy to join the Rockbox boat

Old 06-16-2010, 02:35 PM

It's all there, if you care to actually read the posts.

Funman suggested to only change the mix_l and mix_r levels, and leave the other instances of 0x16 alone.

Timar suggested to also change the two if() conditions to 0x1b, besides the mix_l/r levels.

Saratoga changed all instances of 0x16 to 0x1b.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated!

Old 06-16-2010, 03:42 PM

Not so quick question about patches;
i) Since I own a Clip+ and a FuzeV2, if I patch the higher volume in for the Clip+ would it affect my FuzeV2 as well?

ii) Would that be preferred? Since they are basically the same guts, does that mean that the Fuze "needs"* to have the volume boosted to 0x1b as well?

iii) Also, once a file is patched does it stay that way until that file is updated on the svn, or does it revert back to the copy that's on the svn every time I run svn update?

Thanks for the info. It's not something I've seen in the wiki.

* I get that it doesn't necessarily need to be patched, but I would like the volume to be louder for the bus etc.
SoundMagic PL50|SoundMagic PL30|Bang&Olufsen Form 2

Old 06-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

SVN update doesn't undo local changes, but if someone changes the driver in SVN and you change it locally, svn up will fail until you revert the changes.

The Clip+ and Fuzev2 both use this driver, as do a lot of other targets, so you'll be changing things for all the Sansas and probably some other brands too.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:00 PM

I've uploaded a patch to Flyspray that includes only Funman's suggested changes to mix_(l|r) (using Timar's value 0x1b) and Saratoga's "if CONFIG_CPU == AS3525v2" condition;

http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/11364

Looking through the firmware\export\config files, it would appear that the only targets with "#define CONFIG_CPU AS3525v2" are Sansa Clip+, Clip V2 & Fuze V2. I only own a Clip+, so couldn't check the affect on other targets.

Edit: It seems the tabs got stripped from the gain results on Flyspray, here they are with spaces instead;
Code:
                      Peak  Average
                 Amplitude      RMS
Original WAV             0    -9.42
Original Firmware     -5.6   -16.71
Trunk (r26873)      -10.36  -21.515
All 0x1b            -11.64   -22.89
mix_lr 0x1b         -4.415  -15.395

Last edited by TackyTiger; 06-16-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

To be perfectly clear, I didn't commit Timar's patch because it screws up the volume levels. Max volume is fine, but middle volumes are not. I fixed that issue in my patch, but broke something else as he explained in an email to me (which I probably should have put on the patch tracker so everyone knew about it). What actually need to happen is that every volume level needs to be decreased by 6dB, not just chopping off the top 6dB like I did, or pulling out 6dB in the middle like Timar did.