android
Old 05-08-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funman View Post
Can you have a more precise range than 31 revisions?

Also can you describe what a "temp brick" bug is ?

What you see on screen, what you were doing, which settings you use, which music you play etc..
I am afraid I am unable to be more specific regarding revision and in fact I am also not sure it was revision 63 that worked for me. I simply downloaded whatever the latest revision was randomly. I will try to keep track of the revision I'm using in the future.

I can definitely describe the "temporary brick" bug though.
What happens is that regardless if there is playback or not, the Clip+ appears to not respond to anything, including a hard power-off. With rev 94, this happens 2-3 minutes after turning the device on regardless if anything is playing back or not. With previous builds (sadly can't identify them) it mostly happened during playback of LAME encoded mp3 files with bass boost, changed balance, changed stereo crosstalk, dithering on, replaygain on and last.fm logging on (my standard setup). This thread contains the history of my experience with this bug, you might want to read previous pages, although I think I summarized what I'm experiencing pretty well.

The Clip+ is unresponsive to anything, including hard-reset for about 3-5 minutes. After this time, it "unbricks" and is capable of being turned on again. Occasionally I think there might have been some error displayed during boot after recovery; however, I never was able to read what the error actually said (dissapeared too quickly).

After plugging in some more sensitive IEMS, I also noticed that there is hiss coming from the headphone output during this "temporary brick".

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-08-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
I am afraid I am unable to be more specific regarding revision and in fact I am also not sure it was revision 63 that worked for me. I simply downloaded whatever the latest revision was randomly. I will try to keep track of the revision I'm using in the future.
The latest stable build I used was -69. I'll try to test the builds inbetween in order to see where the crashes set in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
The Clip+ is unresponsive to anything, including hard-reset for about 3-5 minutes. After this time, it "unbricks" and is capable of being turned on again. Occasionally I think there might have been some error displayed during boot after recovery; however, I never was able to read what the error actually said (dissapeared too quickly).
Try to hold down the power button for 15 seconds twice. Funman suggested this before and it did work for me. You hear the noise because rockbox is running but hung up with black screen - that's what causes the "temp brick". You have to reset the player again to get rid of it.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:23 PM

a new bootloader "may" prevent this screen problem from happening. i compiled my own from source yesterday and touch wood, i've not had the problem since. it's turned on first time, every time. and today, it also has a new patch to increase battery life. i've tested it with my cpu boosted and get 15h22m which i'm extremely happy with.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmuzz View Post
EDIT: I have managed to save my Clip+. Which download really is r25896-100508? Because on the Rockbox site r25896-100508 is actually r25896-100507
The important digits are the ones before the dash. Those (r25896) indicate the build number. The digits after the dash are just the date of the build (ex. 2010-05-07). Revision number 25896 is revision number 25896 regardless of the small discrepancy in the date (which I suspect is due to the builds for some players being generated on the cusp of midnight, 5-7-2010, and others continuing into the early minutes of the following day).

Old 05-08-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2003 View Post
a new bootloader "may" prevent this screen problem from happening. i compiled my own from source yesterday and touch wood, i've not had the problem since. it's turned on first time, every time. and today, it also has a new patch to increase battery life. i've tested it with my cpu boosted and get 15h22m which i'm extremely happy with.
Any possibility of making it available for the larger crowd? Thanks anyway.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:52 AM

I made another try at Rockbox. But it crashed after less than one minute of flac playback with r25904. I also tried yesterdays build. When I tried to scan radio stations I got the "temporary brick" situation. It also crashed when I did some changes in sound settings while a file was playing. When I played back an MP3 album without touching anything I got around 15 minutes before it crashed. There is also a very noticeable interference sound even when I don't play anything. It might disappear after a while. I am using xfeed and EQ. I have tried to boost the CPU, but it didn't help.

If any of you have a more stable build and a bootloader that works better, could you upload it, please? I am eager to try Rockbox properly, but not with these problems.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trondis23 View Post
I made another try at Rockbox. But it crashed after less than one minute of flac playback with r25904. I also tried yesterdays build. When I tried to scan radio stations I got the "temporary brick" situation. It also crashed when I did some changes in sound settings while a file was playing. When I played back an MP3 album without touching anything I got around 15 minutes before it crashed. There is also a very noticeable interference sound even when I don't play anything. It might disappear after a while. I am using xfeed and EQ. I have tried to boost the CPU, but it didn't help.

If any of you have a more stable build and a bootloader that works better, could you upload it, please? I am eager to try Rockbox properly, but not with these problems.
Yes, my Clip+ is similar to yours. It's still have random crash while rockbox. Like last time I got Temp brick while reduce volume to minimum then BOOM (2 hard reset hehe)...

Old 05-09-2010, 05:39 AM

edit: post removed. dfkt has posted an "official" bootloader below.

Last edited by marc2003; 05-12-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:16 AM

Mine is crashing quite a bit on settings screens and I've found one track it always crashes on. I might only use it for gapless albums until it gets more stable.

One thing I'm quite disappointed in is the software cross feed. Maybe I've been spoiled by my first cross feed being the Meier Audio circuit. My impressions are based on guess work and subjective listening, but I don't think this cross feed adjusts the amount applied and delay applied depending on how far left or right the sound is.

The Meier crossfeed applies no cross feed at all to sound that is already right in the centre anyway, then it applies more cross feed and delay the further left or right you go. The effect is it doesn't change the sound of the track at all, just makes it sound more natural and easy on the ear.

From what I can tell the rockbox cross feed is uniform, this leads to bloating of sound that is already in the centre, so vocals especially sound louder and more muffled.

EDIT - I could well be wrong about this, I'm just guessing. One thing I know is it doesn't sound as good to me.

Since the ATH-M50 need no equalisation and I don't want to use cross feed anyway, gapless is all I need it for.

When it's more stable I'll definitely use it full time because of folder browsing, more lines per screen and the rest, but there isn't enough motivation to put up with the occassional crashes.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Database should work. Actually everything thats going to work on the clip should probably work now.
Is the fm radio supposed to be working yet? It doesn't on mine..

Old 05-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomf View Post
Is the fm radio supposed to be working yet? It doesn't on mine..
What are the symptoms and which version do you use?

Old 05-09-2010, 02:37 PM

I have r25894. There are no symptoms, it just doesn't detect it.

In System->Debug->Fm Radio it says "HW detected: no"

Old 05-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Rockbox Developer

Just tried r25923 and it's detected, so yes it should work. Perhaps it doesn't work on some models? FM works fine in the OF ?

Old 05-10-2010, 06:47 AM

hey guys,i've just installed rockbox on my clip+ few days ago. but i've got a problem though, my songs play slightly slower and at a lower pitch. i wonder if anyone has the same problem as me, or is it a known problem. because it's getting quite troublesome that i need to manually adjust the pitch and speed every time i switch on my clip+. i have been googling for solutions but couldnt find any.

btw, im using build 25894 if that helps in anything.

thanks in adv.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:09 AM

I installed r25923 today on my Clip+. So far so good but there are times when my player will not switch back on and I have to press the power button for 30 seconds before it will switch back on and sometimes there seems to be a problem with the resume playback function as it states the track is paused when it isn't paused and it will not play. Other than that it seems to be okay.

Art

Last edited by Artmuzz; 05-10-2010 at 07:16 AM.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:35 AM

no FM either here (HW detected: no) r25923 on brand new clip+
FM is working fine on OF.

I get crashes here and there but once you figure out what not to do, the firmware is very usable.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb View Post
no FM either here (HW detected: no) r25923 on brand new clip+
FM is working fine on OF.

I get crashes here and there but once you figure out what not to do, the firmware is very usable.
That is strange because I am using the same build as you (r25923) and the FM radio seems to work good and the HW is detected on my brand new clip+.

Art

Old 05-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by funman View Post
Just tried r25923 and it's detected, so yes it should work. Perhaps it doesn't work on some models? FM works fine in the OF ?
It doesn't work on all devices.

If you know C and have a device not working just come on irc

EDIT: Perhaps try using the FM in OF, reboot fast and see if it's detected?

Last edited by funman; 05-10-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
EDIT: Perhaps try using the FM in OF, reboot fast and see if it's detected?
I tried that a couple of times, no luck.

I know a bit of C, I'll try to come on IRC later.

thanks.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Here's the official v2.0 bootloader: v2.0-bootloader-sansaclipplus-01.02.13-dual_boot.zip