android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 03-23-2010, 11:56 AM

Default Heads up for UK people - Sansa Plus 4GB for £25 and 8GB for £40 at Currys

Much to my horror, I was in Currys today and discovered that a brand new Sansa Clip plus 4GB is just £25 (15 less than I paid on play.com), while the 8GB model retails at £40 - the same as the 4GB model does almost anywhere else in the UK

Finding this out just a week after I ordered my Clip plus off play.com is extremely annoying, but anyone who's not made the plunge and got one yet couldn't really do any better than this amazing bargain.

I guess I'll just have to console myself with a microSD card. *sniff*

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Not one of the $200 32GB cards, I hope!

Old 03-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Why not try the price match approach with them and see if it works.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Banned

Currys has always been the cheapest for Sansa in the UK when they have their special offers on.

I won't put myself through microSD trauma again, though.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:05 PM

I never even thinked of looking in Currys before, as they've generally always been really expensive. I'm kicking myself now, though, as I adore my clip + and really want that extra 4GB of space to extend it's functionality and capacity. Also I hate seeing all the people on this board, lording it over me with their 8GB models!

Dreamnine - what do you mean by MicroSD trauma? Have you had bad experiences using the Clip/Clip+ with MicroSD cards?

Marvin - Heheh, I wish I could afford that! I'm looking at either a 8 or 16GB microSD at the moment. I really want the 16GB capacity, but one with something better than class 2 speeds is pretty expensive, and I've heard people saying that refreshing a full class 2 16GB SD card takes something like 20 minutes!

I might settle for a class 6 8GB model and use the onboard 4GB for podcasts and the like.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:23 PM

I use a 16gb in mine and have for months, i have had zero problems 6min to load a full card but i keep my rather unchanging stuff on the card and new/often changed stuff on the clip's internal memory.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attyman View Post
I never even thinked of looking in Currys before, as they've generally always been really expensive. I'm kicking myself now, though, as I adore my clip + and really want that extra 4GB of space to extend it's functionality and capacity. Also I hate seeing all the people on this board, lording it over me with their 8GB models!

Dreamnine - what do you mean by MicroSD trauma? Have you had bad experiences using the Clip/Clip+ with MicroSD cards?

Marvin - Heheh, I wish I could afford that! I'm looking at either a 8 or 16GB microSD at the moment. I really want the 16GB capacity, but one with something better than class 2 speeds is pretty expensive, and I've heard people saying that refreshing a full class 2 16GB SD card takes something like 20 minutes!

I might settle for a class 6 8GB model and use the onboard 4GB for podcasts and the like.
Well I liked everything about the Clip+ except the constant 'refreshing your media' cycles I got using an 8Gb Clip+ and a 16Gb microSD.

Even when it had just been charging, or sometimes for no reason at all in certain menus I would get that message and it took 4 minutes plus - Once I got stuck at a bus-stop in the snow waiting for it to refresh both memories - I got tired of it.

Now I use my E2s instead - blind operation they're easier than the Clip+ or my i9 or my X.

Last edited by Dreamnine; 03-23-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:11 PM

I've heard people saying that refreshing a full class 2 16GB SD card takes something like 20 minutes!

My ears are burning ...

I wouldn't say don't go for the 16gb. But I sync a lot (sometimes several times a day, as I'm trying to get through a load of music I have on a rolling playlist atm).

First thing in the morning, if the computer isn't too tired yet:

Can take an hour to sync 16gb from scratch. Not always, though. And it may be a problem with WMP, rather than the card. I'm not sure. Card is Class 2, but I think the Clip is, too? Someone better informed than me may be able to advise.

Late at night, loading can take anything up to 4 hours. The trouble is, more often than not, something will stall. The sync will say "no room on device", or give me a heap of errors, or WMP will fail to find the files (why? you found them yesterday!) or whatever tonight's issue happens to be. Removing and reconnecting the Clip won't help. The only way out is to reformat. Which of course, means a subsequent total reload from scratch.

So ... I use the normal Clip if I'm in a hurry to reload or sync. I plug the Clip+ in as little as possible, or I sync it without the card. I'm not blaming the Clip+, as I get tantrums from WMP quite often. It may well be that a faster microSD card would solve the problem.

The "refresh" issue really does get to me. No way will it do it, under 20 mins. The Clip and the Clip+ (with no card in), is about 30 seconds tops.

I live with it, because it's gorgeous and very, very loud.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:03 PM

Just a little note: Currys are also doing free online deliveries at the moment so it's even better!

Old 03-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Banned

Plus they have the 2GB one for £19.97

Old 03-25-2010, 05:53 PM

NOOOOO!!! All out of stock now and I was just going on to get one

EDIT: Just found 8gb on Amazon UK sold by amazon for £39.99 all is good again

Last edited by Rockin Munki; 03-25-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: New Info

Old 03-25-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Munki View Post
NOOOOO!!! All out of stock now and I was just going on to get one

EDIT: Just found 8gb on Amazon UK sold by amazon for £39.99 all is good again
Strange, Amazon are flogging the older Clip for a tenner more than the Clip+.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Banned

There were none left in the 2 Currys shops I visited yesterday... except for display models they wouldn't sell me.