android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Other Gadgets & Technologies

Old 03-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Problems with numerous Windows XP updates after clean install

Hi all,

I just installed Windows XP Professional 32bit SP2 on my computer and it is running great. However, I'm facing a couple of problems with Windows Updates. I made sure my Windows was genuine (which it is) and activated. The problems are I cannot install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) and Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) does not install properly. With my attempted install of WinXP SP3 I get an error message: "An internal error has occurred. Windows XP Service Pack 3 could not be installed." Now I've done my Googling on this problem and have tried everything on this page with no luck:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949384
I have even tried installing it in safe mode with no luck. Now with the IE8 install problem. I download the IE8 install file from Microsoft Download Center (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en). First install goes fine except after I reboot my machine and open IE8, it opens, and then immediately flashes closed. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE8 and re-downloading it with no luck. Granted I do use Firefox but I still prefer to have everything updated. I have done all the explaining I can on these problems but if you need more info I will do my best to help you. I know this is a Anythingbutipod forum so I will understand if you guys can't help me. However I'd prefer not to register for another forum.

Thanks for the help!

-McDougal

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Is this for your old computer?

Old 03-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Is this for your old computer?
No... this is for my new laptop. I'm dual booting it with Win7. WinXP runs so much faster than 7 and 7 won't install my game and won't work with my printer. I want XP so I can print and play my games.... any ideas about these problems?

Retired Devices:

Old 03-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
No... this is for my new laptop. I'm dual booting it with Win7. WinXP runs so much faster than 7 and 7 won't install my game and won't work with my printer. I want XP so I can print and play my games.... any ideas about these problems?
Huh....that's unusual that XP would run faster, from what I have gather in my Windows 7 forum. Unfortunately, I can't help you with your actual question about the install...I've never done one. Good luck though!

Old 03-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

McDougal:

Sorry you are having issues. I am not surprised that WinXP runs a bit "snappier" than Win7. Win7, while amazing, is def a bit heavier in terms of the GUI, whereas for instance, I run superlean XP installs that really react very fast...

Anyway, stupid question, but is there any compelling reason for you to install SP3? I know everyone say you SHOULD, but I and many others have not and are still running SP2, with all current updates besides the SP3 package. For instance, my huge investment bank has skipped SP3 completely and plans to migrate to Win7 directly at some point.

I have not researched SP3 fully, but I recall making the decision that nothing in SP3 is essential for me.

happy to speak more on this if you wish...
cheers!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 03-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
McDougal:

Sorry you are having issues. I am not surprised that WinXP runs a bit "snappier" than Win7. Win7, while amazing, is def a bit heavier in terms of the GUI, whereas for instance, I run superlean XP installs that really react very fast...

Anyway, stupid question, but is there any compelling reason for you to install SP3? I know everyone say you SHOULD, but I and many others have not and are still running SP2, with all current updates besides the SP3 package. For instance, my huge investment bank has skipped SP3 completely and plans to migrate to Win7 directly at some point.

I have not researched SP3 fully, but I recall making the decision that nothing in SP3 is essential for me.

happy to speak more on this if you wish...
cheers!
-lestatar
Thanks lestatar for trying to help me! I decided that it just wasn't worth the hassle to have XP on there. Anyways I never play games anymore and have another XP desktop in my room that can print, so besides the speed gain there really isn't any reason for me to have it.

Thanks again!

-McDougal

Retired Devices:

Old 03-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

McDougal: No worries bro...we all here to help/learn from each other... :-)

<but you might wanna play games again...never say never...hahaha!>

cheers!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies