android
Old 03-20-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stujoe View Post
Sure, the announced stuff is nice but is it important enough to get really excited about when it is going to get here...like anxiously waiting for Christmas morning when it isn't even December yet?

And I am sure there will be other stuff, but I really doubt anyone will be waking up with a pony under the Christmas tree.

I have nothing else more exciting than this update coming for the Zune at this moment. Excitement Scale: Research paper<Zune Update. Hey our pony could have youtube written all over it. It's still December in Colorado, or at least mother nature thinks so.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-20-2010, 01:05 PM

Hey gamersat... You from Colorado, too?

Old 03-20-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stujoe View Post
Sure, the announced stuff is nice but is it important enough to get really excited about when it is going to get here...like anxiously waiting for Christmas morning when it isn't even December yet?

You have a point there! They have probably announced that to remind people that they will continue to support their product but their basic fault is that they gave some very specific info (they named two of the forthcoming features), and a very unspecific info about release date (an update in spring...). They could have give us just the info about the "spring update" release and not what the new features would be about. They could have also give us a more specific release date, but that could be negative for them if they couldn't follow the schedule...

Old 03-20-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuniq View Post
You have a point there! They have probably announced that to remind people that they will continue to support their product but their basic fault is that they gave some very specific info (they named two of the forthcoming features), and a very unspecific info about release date (an update in spring...). They could have give us just the info about the "spring update" release and not what the new features would be about. They could have also give us a more specific release date, but that could be negative for them if they couldn't follow the schedule...
Agreed 100%.
Its better to let it happen when it happens to avoid a huge backlash.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie View Post
The OLED degrading is no different than the backlight on an LCD going out under warranty.
Good to know.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:33 PM

Well not only am I waiting for the Spring Update but I also have to wait for the 2.1 update for the Moto Droid and Eris. LOL this sucks. But in all seriousness, I know that both will eventually get here. Just gotta keep waiting.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahcheese View Post
Hey gamersat... You from Colorado, too?
Nah. Just heard how bad it got out there. Saw some vids and stuff. I'm from Ohio and enjoying 65 degrees!

Old 03-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky6 View Post
Please I am getting so tired of waiting... puh-leasssssseeeee. I thought for sure it would be revealed at MIX.
As always it was only obvious for MS to ignore Zune device again at a Major Showing, Zune HD was and is a Beta Testing Platform, for which we all paid for, and whats even more amazing is that it was there in Plain Sight.

MS doesn't give a Rats Ass about Zune HD users, there is nothing in stored for us, its all but over for Zune Hardware, say hello to Zune Services, which i think will too Fail with the Windows Fail Phone 7 .

Old 03-20-2010, 05:29 PM

@gamersat... Lol, gotcha. Colorado is pretty nice...... If you like snow and lots of it....

Old 03-20-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuniq View Post
I think there is a lot of truth to that. Both in announcing some stuff and a time frame to limit the gnashing of teeth over it being obsolete (not that it has worked 100% lol). And also in not locking themselves down to a time line that they might bust and making themselves look bad.

Most companies have a strategy for darn near everything. Sometimes even leaks of information.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamersat678 View Post
Nah. Just heard how bad it got out there. Saw some vids and stuff. I'm from Ohio and enjoying 65 degrees!
im sorry, 65? thats cold to me, here in florida were enjoying a nice 75

Old 03-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Vision View Post
As always it was only obvious for MS to ignore Zune device again at a Major Showing, Zune HD was and is a Beta Testing Platform, for which we all paid for, and whats even more amazing is that it was there in Plain Sight.
Actually, with MWC and MIX, it was a very deliberate strategy to keep the messaging focussed on WP7S - and not launch Zune HD updates, announcements, etc...

I love how you keep suggesting that Zune HD was a beta testing platform for WP7S, Re-Vision. You do realize that WP7S has been in development at Microsoft a little longer than Sep '09, right?

Cheers, Dave.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:45 AM

Zune HD users are feeling like the 8 year old child after the new baby comes home.
We think our parents still love us but feel neglected and forgotten. Even though we are not forgotten. Mom and dad need to do something to make us feel better.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:24 AM

Well we will just have to wait for the spring update to see if "we are forgotten". I too believe the ZuneHD was beta testing for the wm7s simply because it makes sense.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:14 AM

I don't think that Zune HD is a beta platform (I mostly talk about the device)...its already a limited, but strong product with good quality at what it does. It has weak support and marketing though.

Microsoft should have announced the month for the release of the next update. Its really bad and unprofessional to let so many customers guessing and waiting, because people in the company want to "have their time" without bonds to a tight schedule...Its even better to delay a release than announcing such a long period of possible release dates many months before...Its even better to not make announcements about specific updates at all...

Old 03-21-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrv8 View Post
im sorry, 65? thats cold to me, here in florida were enjoying a nice 75
I was thinking the same thing, yesterday was one of the best bike rides I have ever been on. Sunny, breezy and 75

Old 03-21-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorguy View Post
I was thinking the same thing, yesterday was one of the best bike rides I have ever been on. Sunny, breezy and 75
yea i could have done without the breeze, i was playing waterpolo all yesterday, and getting out was the hardest part

back on topic, they are really just annoying us, if they had any common sense they would have either left us in the dark completely about the release, or given us a more specific time

Old 03-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrv8 View Post
back on topic, they are really just annoying us, if they had any common sense they would have either left us in the dark completely about the release, or given us a more specific time
I dunno, it seems to me to be more a matter of opinion than of "common" sense. I, for one, am glad they said something about the update in advance, and that they provided at least a few concrete details. This way, we get clear evidence of ongoing development, which is of bigger concern to me than whether or not they specify a particular date.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
I love how you keep suggesting that Zune HD was a beta testing platform for WP7S, Re-Vision. You do realize that WP7S has been in development at Microsoft a little longer than Sep '09, right?
Cheers, Dave.
Hey Dave, if not "beta testing" - surely MS would have used the reviews and early customer experience as a form of User Acceptance testing at least, to ensure the new "metro" GUI that was going to be the cornerstone of WP7 series didn't sink like a lead balloon....

Not having owned any Zune product until a few weeks ago, I assume the styling of the HD was a significant change from the old Zune interface.

It begs an interesting question - did WP7 come up with the metro GUI of Zune HD first - and it was rolled out to the Zune team - or did the Zune team start it, and it was taken up by the WP7 series team ???

I would guess that the Zune team designed the interface some time in early 2008 - so you were the chicken and WP7 was the egg ??? Did the hardware even support he metro GUI back then in the early days of Zune HD development?

Old 03-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_Aus View Post
Hey Dave, if not "beta testing" - surely MS would have used the reviews and early customer experience as a form of User Acceptance testing at least, to ensure the new "metro" GUI that was going to be the cornerstone of WP7 series didn't sink like a lead balloon....
For the most part, no. The UI was developed for Zune HD back in 2008 and like all our consumer products, we do a ton of usability testing (we bring in members of the public, have them use the device and monitor how they interact, how easy it is for them to discover features, etc...). So, by the time we launched the device in 2009, we had high confidence about the UI.

Also by the time we launched the Zune HD, the UI elements were already a substantial component of WP7S. No way would it be possible to leave such an integral component of the phone OS until we could gauge the market reaction to the UI in ZuneHD.

Now - you raise an interesting question though - what if the UI had tanked, would we have pulled the UI from WP7S? No idea actually - although I'm sure we would have taken the feedback and tweaked what we had, not fundamentally yanked it (otherwise what would we have shown at MWC?). That said, this was never a substantial risk, since we had very positive feedback from our pre-release usability testing.

Quote:
Not having owned any Zune product until a few weeks ago, I assume the styling of the HD was a significant change from the old Zune interface.
It was an evolution - not wholesale new UI. We evolved the old UI from one that took a touchpad/button as input, to a touchscreen.

Quote:
Did the hardware even support he metro GUI back then in the early days of Zune HD development?
Yup, the UI itself isn't graphics processor intensive - the smoothness is. Early builds that I saw were much less smooth than what shipped, but the fundamentals were in place very, very early.

Cheers, Dave.