android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 03-17-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Don't give away release dates. Actually release something. Even Apple suffers the same fate when they announce an product (iPad) but don't actually release it for two months.
If they released 10 things tomorrow there would be more threads with more complaints because it wasn't enough.
They are in a NO WIN situation. Damned if they do and damned if they don't.
Wait, see and be patient.

On the topic of the thread.......It's a waste of database space.

NOT SIGNED!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-17-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
Yep, confirmed by Joe Belfiore in a demo video here: http://ecn.channel9.msdn.com/o9/ch9/...Phone7_ch9.wmv - starting at 17:25 he goes into the marketplace and says if he's a Zune Pass subscriber he could start streaming a song
That is definitely a good sign! Thanks for the link.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Just as a point of note - THIS is exactly the reason that as a general rule, we don't pre-announce Zune features/apps/games.

You guys get yourselves so worked up around a product or features that you haven't seen, and before you know it petitions get started, the crowd starts calling for firings, Microsoft is ridiculed, etc... Before long people who have no opinion on the matter start to get a negative impression about a product that nobody has yet even had the chance to examine in detail.

Enough of that goes on, and so the product team sighs, realizes that the rumours have gotten out of hand, and so have to pre-announce more than they wanted to quell the masses - but its either too late (the din of the crowd is too great) or only adds fuel to the fire ("see, our petition/mob mentality worked because Microsoft turned around and added the feature" - even though it would be impossible to magically "add" it in 24 hours so clearly it must have been planned for all along).

Rinse/repeat. Ugh...

And you guys want me to share release dates and app/game titles that are currently in development! Not a chance...

Cheers, Dave.
Dave, nobody is calling for firings and nobody is ridiculing Microsoft here. This is a very specific and valid criticism.

I'm trying very hard to understand your post here. According to you, as consumers in this market, we are all completely blind and unaware as to what Microsoft is planning for the future. Ok, that's true, we don't know what Microsoft is planning. What we do know is what the company reveals to us. Some of what they have revealed is making a significant number of users (namely power users) unhappy.
And you're standing there telling me that Microsoft has this big secret plan that's going to alleviate the issues we have with their announcements? They are going to tell us that there is in fact an open file system, it's just that we don't want to announce it yet because... because why? What would be the point in keeping that a secret and how would that knowledge "add fuel to the fire"?
Do we honestly have such a horribly distorted view on this situation? Are our concerns invalid?

And yes, I do realize that changes are not made magically in 24 hours, I completely understand that. So... having understood that... what now? Should we just keep our mouths shut when an os we are excited about is starting to look wrong in our eyes. We should right, because deep down, we should also realize that there are plans in motion that completely contradict what has just been announced.

Your post makes absolutely zero sense in my eyes, in the eyes of a Microsoft fan. Can you please explain?

Last edited by Blackwheel; 03-17-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:45 AM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwheel View Post
Dave, nobody is calling for firings and nobody is ridiculing Microsoft here. This is a very specific and valid criticism.
Mine was a tongue in cheek response. There actually have been posts calling for my job, I've had private emails to that effect too, and there are often posts along the lines of "I can't believe Microsoft forgot <insert XXXX feature>".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwheel View Post
What we do know is what the company reveals to us. Some of what they have revealed is making a significant number of users (namely power users) unhappy.
And you're standing there telling me that Microsoft has this big secret plan that's going to alleviate the issues we have with their announcements?
<snip>
Do we honestly have such a horribly distorted view on this situation? Are our concerns invalid?
<snip>
The point of my post is that nobody here has held/touched/used a WP7S device, and yet there is already such religious fervour about perceptions of missing features. All I'm commenting on, is that people on this forum (and others) don't wait to get the full picture before freaking out. I kind of understand it - it's definitely human nature - but it is more prevalent here.

The example I was using above is copy/paste. People freaked out because they didn't believe C&P was supported. Now, if the discussion was a very reasonable "hmm, that seems odd, hopefully Microsoft will correct that omission", I'd be fine. But petitions and declarations that MS shouldn't be in the phone business because of half-information about C&P? Feels a little extreme, that's all.

Then someone quoted an MS staff member as saying the feature may appear in an update - and people freaked out again, saying it was unforgiveable that such a feature not be in a product at launch (all the while forgetting that Zune's have all launched with their first firmware update live on day 1 - who's to say that wouldn't be the case again?). Now, I honestly have no idea about C&P - whether it'll be there on day 1 or not. What I do know is that intelligent debate about the value of the feature is really all that we can have, since there has been no confirmation of what is going on there.

Honestly, as I said above - my post was tongue in cheek. I know that people will continue to freak out as rumours emerge and that's just the nature of the beast. I just enjoy pointing it out occasionally, because I think sometimes folks here forget to step back and take a 50,000ft view of the situation.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:25 AM

I wonder if Blackwheel did a petition against Apple when they launched the iPhone 3G which was not able to do C&P, not able to send or receive MMS, not able to use Bluetooth for something else than headsets, not able to do video (which the 3G still can't do today), not able to.......

Whoot... Apple really does not belong on the phone market.... I wonder why they are so successful with this crap that is not able to do anything real important....

Old 03-18-2010, 02:14 PM

I'd have to agree with the sentiment that this petition is basically useless, since
1: WP7S isn't even slated to release until late 2010/2011.
2: Almost nothing has been truly confirmed. We don't even know what the flagship model will be, let alone the features!

An additional point: in terms of the internet, 700 signatures is just a drop in the bucket. If you truly want to throw around numbers like that, get a couple million first. I don't mean to trivialize the signatures obtained so far; I'm just stating fact.

I also think that the open-file system is a bit . . . unnecessary for a mobile device. The iPhone doesn't have one. Neither does Android.

Only Palm's webOS has done true multitasking perfectly; the others use partial multitasking, and I see no problem with that.

Do you remember WinMo 6? It was very open; anyone could make a theme for it and it had HUGE software splintering problems. I have a feeling Microsoft is going closed on this one to avoid that kind of splintering in WP7S.

Anyone who has used Linux will know about this as well.

However, I will also probably not buy a WP7S phone, since I love the concept of webOS.
But we'll see. Release date is far away from now and anything can happen.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedalin View Post
I'd have to agree with the sentiment that this petition is basically useless, since
1: WP7S isn't even slated to release until late 2010/2011.
2: Almost nothing has been truly confirmed. We don't even know what the flagship model will be, let alone the features!

An additional point: in terms of the internet, 700 signatures is just a drop in the bucket. If you truly want to throw around numbers like that, get a couple million first. I don't mean to trivialize the signatures obtained so far; I'm just stating fact.

I also think that the open-file system is a bit . . . unnecessary for a mobile device. The iPhone doesn't have one. Neither does Android.

Only Palm's webOS has done true multitasking perfectly; the others use partial multitasking, and I see no problem with that.

Do you remember WinMo 6? It was very open; anyone could make a theme for it and it had HUGE software splintering problems. I have a feeling Microsoft is going closed on this one to avoid that kind of splintering in WP7S.

Anyone who has used Linux will know about this as well.

However, I will also probably not buy a WP7S phone, since I love the concept of webOS.
But we'll see. Release date is far away from now and anything can happen.
True, WP7 is far from being a finished product. All I got from MIX10 are some of the developers. Beside that, we didn't really learned anything in term of hardwares. Yes, we know the minimum requirements for WP7, but all we have seen are prototypes.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Banned

Windows Phone 7 will Fail Miserably, its missing important Features like Copy and Paste,and Multitasking.

With or Without Boycott, MS has set itself up for Failure. Entering such a crowded Market, with missing feature, and a late entry, and dwindling Fan base, will be Palm Pre and Palm Pixi all over Again.

And at the end of the Day, its All Business, making money comes first, I'm sure those of us who have read about Palms Recent Quarterly Report know what i mean.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Vision View Post
Windows Phone 7 will Fail Miserably, its missing important Features like Copy and Paste,and Multitasking.

With or Without Boycott, MS has set itself up for Failure. Entering such a crowded Market, with missing feature, and a late entry, and dwindling Fan base, will be Palm Pre and Palm Pixi all over Again.

And at the end of the Day, its All Business, making money comes first, I'm sure those of us who have read about Palms Recent Quarterly Report know what i mean.
It might be missing those feature and more but when it comes to tech or anything really all a manufacturer needs is that "one" thing that sets them apart from the herd.

If it has that "one thing" then it could be a HUGE success but we won't know completely until the release later in the year.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsLasher View Post
It might be missing those feature and more but when it comes to tech or anything really all a manufacturer needs is that "one" thing that sets them apart from the herd.

If it has that "one thing" then it could be a HUGE success but we won't know completely until the release later in the year.
I Appreciate your comment, forgive me if I sound a little rude or out a line, my anger is solely directed at Microsoft.

Well what is that "One Thing" like, is it like the Iphone's App Store, or its Extensive Music Library, or The Multi-Touch Feature, or The Simple UI, or is it All combined into One Device.

In this crowded market Windows Phone 7 will have a Hard Time to Sell, I'm sure as hell that I'm not gonna Buy a phone with no CopynPaste and Multi Task Feature.

To set themselves apart, Microsoft would seriously need to push the gaming to a new level, lets see how they fare there, against Apple.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:14 AM

Hahahahaha good luck with that!
I'm buying one as soon as possible! Windows Phone 7 Series is going to be a huge success.
While you're at it, why don't you petition against Apple releasing their next iPhone. I'm sure a couple signatures and your expert opinion will help them to realize that phones are a waste of their time.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:20 PM

WP7S WILL have copy and paste, just so ya know...

Add Me on Zune Social! my name is: mq1991

Old 03-22-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
Good luck, im buying a WP7 phone- maybe two in order to cancel out your boycott
Please send your spare one this way

Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Here's the latest update on the copy and paste functionality. Apparently, Microsoft has heard us and will implement a good copy and paste function. Who said Microsoft doesn't listen to us? We do, however, have to be loud and clear.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
Here's the latest update on the copy and paste functionality. Apparently, Microsoft has heard us and will implement a good copy and paste function. Who said Microsoft doesn't listen to us? We do, however, have to be loud and clear.
Thank You Mr airman, Nice Find, I think You are Right About the Microsoft Reaction to the Cry of Windows Mobile Fans. But i don't see the Same with Zune HD, they could care less about a Device that has struggled to sell meaningful, Whereas with Windows Phone, MS Partners need to be Assured that this Windows Mobile Version appeals to Mass Public, hence Microsoft Jumps in saves the Ship from Sinking before the Partners get frustrated for Paying for OS that fails to Deliver

Trying to Right Their Wrongs, Before the Products Hits the Market, I see a lot of ads for Windows Phone, but don't see people very interested, My friend watches a lot of Youtube but he still doesn't know what Windows Mobile or Windows Phone is, he Probably sees the ads but doesn't pay attention to such boring commercials.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
Good to hear. They'd be idiots not to include it since it's apparently so high in demand (along with multitasking).

On a side-note MS is officially dropping 'Series' from the name.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:47 PM

You are alone!

This is the FIRST TIME I've ever been interested in a mobile OS from Microsoft. I think WP7 is a home run.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
On a side-note MS is officially dropping 'Series' from the name.
Wise move.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Wise move.
Well, they didn't want a phone call from a certain German car company.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:39 PM

Microsoft has been trying REALLY hard to be Apple in the consumer electronics department, by crippling certain fundamental features in exchange for eye candy. Which is pretty damn stupid. Why can't they just do both?