android
Old 03-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Sony LOD- worth it to you?

All the info can be found at http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index....roducts_id=411

I'm wondering...will there really be much of a difference? Mine sound pretty good through the headphone-out, although I don't have any of the super-sensitive IEM's that hiss.

But in all fairness, I've never had a player with a true line-out, to be able to compare LO to HO. And I don't have a headphone amp anymore to make a comparison with either.

So what do you all think?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-12-2010, 08:30 AM

24 awg silver plated copper: $0.50 + black Neutrik 3.5mm Mini Jack: $1.16 + Ridax dock connector: $2.39 + Heat shrink: $0.50 + ALO labor & profit: $131.61 = reason enough to learn how to solder (DIY)!

*The prices above are estimates and if you buy quantity you can find parts cheaper. As far as hearing any difference, my guess it’s up to the individual and some players hp out sounds just as good, while others may not.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-12-2010, 08:45 AM

Those con artists should burn in hell.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:49 AM

I don't have problems with people charging those funds: they have their markets, but I won't buy one when there is one for about 40$ in Japan. Saying that, my reasons for wanting to get a LOD are: hiss, and for driving sensitive balanced armature earphones.

The Sonys do pretty well for dynamic earphones, but lose sparkle or a bit of bass when driving earphones like the FitEar 333. I know, there is a great EQ inside, but the hiss, the hiss!

May well order the dock from Japan... if I do, pictures will go up here.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Banned

My S639 hissed with iems, but the X? Not that I can hear.

Back on-topic, yeah, waste of money.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post
I don't have problems with people charging those funds: they have their markets, but I won't buy one when there is one for about 40$ in Japan ... ...
I have no problems with $40.00, that seems fair or in my case I'd make one, but $135.00 is certainly not fair pricing ...

BTW, I look forward to seeing the pictures of the one you get, post a link too.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-12-2010, 08:30 PM

I think I should be able to order it this week and get it next or it will take 2 weeks to arrive. I have to do it through a friend in Japan as the person won't ship out of Japan (or at least it seems that way).

And, if a vendor wants to charge 135$, there will be people to buy it - that is between them and the customer. Obviously, there are other options. Just like buying a Colagno or a Trek. Both are made in Taiwan, but those who'd rather not get their feet dirty with a Trek will opt for the 'Italian' brand.

It's the same in audio as it is in every single market. As I said though, I'd really not be prepared to pay 135$ for a dock.