android
Old 03-11-2010, 07:58 AM

Default Help/Advice - HeadRoom Portable Micro Amp

I am new to this forum, and to higher end portable audio (But not to high-end home audio)
I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD-650's, I am awaiting delivery of the Headroom Portable Micro Amp, and the shipment of the S:flo2, batch 3, shipping in 2 weeks.

I am now worried that I bought the wrong amp. I haven't heard it yet, but after browsing on head-fi and this forum, there is little mention of it. I haven't read anything bad, maybe a sentence saying that it sounds nice.
There are professional reviews, but I used to work for a High-end Audio manufacturer and I know that you pay money for a good review.

On to my question.
Anyone have any experience with is amp?
Do you know why it isnt spoken of?
Is it just unknown? Too big? Too expensive? Bad value? Sound bad?

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-11-2010, 08:07 AM

The Headroom amp seems to be insanely overpriced and way too bulky for what it is, and the S-Flo is some overhyped fad of the month player by some drive-by-night OEM manufacturer without any support as you'd expect from a trusted brand player. But I guess the amp should drive the Senns just fine, most amps do, even the $80 FiiO E7.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:10 AM

dfkt, Thank you for your quick response.
Should I return it? What is the best amp for under $400.00?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:18 AM

The Headstage Arrow is the most impressive portable amp I've heard so far, no matter if IEMs or full-sized phones. I'm reviewing it at the moment, might take some time until the writeup is finished, though. I've just tested it today with my HD650, and it performs admirably well.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:30 AM

Well, I dont know what to do now.
So, the Arrow sounds better, or is just better value?
I just checked and I have 30-days to return the Headroom, so I might as well try her out.

Is there anyone else that has an opinion on this?

Thanks.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:56 AM

To put it another way: once an amp reaches a certain level of engineering (meaning, it's not total crap), it will drive the HD650 just fine. Some portable amps might not be beefy enough, but most quality amps seem to be. There will be no sound difference between those, except placebo and make-belief. The HD650 are in a way 'easier' to drive than low-impedance IEMs, since they won't hiss, will have better crosstalk behavior, and a few other things - the thing that matters most is the SPL the amp can put out. You can choose any quality amp and should be happy - but at some point amps are becoming a ripoff and you're only paying for the name or fancy housing, but not for improved sound quality - no matter what fancy words the manufacturer invents to convince you it's otherwise.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:02 AM

Thank you for your input dfkt.
I appreciate your expert opinion.
I sure do like the size and look of the Arrow.
Plus i'd save 150 bucks. I hate sending stuff back though.
I guess I'll just take a listen to the micro amp and do some more research.
The micro is supposed to be delivered today.

Is there anywhere else (forums) other than this one and head-fi that I might find some owners opinions on the Microamp?

Last edited by Spike8585; 03-11-2010 at 09:13 AM.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:32 PM

@ dfkt
Ok, so I received the amp, but I think I've decided to return it. So, you would recommend the arrow over any others, sound quality-wise (w/ the HD650's)?
Under $400.00.

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2010, 11:33 AM

Default Keeping the Headroom

Hey, so I decided to keep the Headroom Portable Micro Amp. I was thinking about sending it back for the arrow, but after reading the reviews, as interesting of an amp that it sounded to be, I didn't think that the amp would last long driving my Senn HD650's at max gain.

I must say, that this micro amp is pretty amazing. No hiss at all. And I am using a pretty sh*tty source right now...dont laugh...my iPhone 3G...using the headphone output at max.
I am waiting for my dock connector to come in the mail, to hold me over until my S:Flo2 comes in in april from batch 3.

I must say, the sound from the iphone is pretty bad, even using apple lossless.
But I already knew that from reading this forum.

I don't have any experience with other portable amps, but I can tell this one is pretty awesome...but expensive.
Using the line out from my Classe CDP-100...whoa...
I have never writen a review before, and don't think I'd be able to use the proper adjectives to describe the sound, so i'll just leave it a 'Whoa'.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:46 PM

Nice to hear that you are enjoying your new amp I don't know if it hisses or not, but if you are using the sennheiser HD650s to determine, it would most likely be impossible to tell, as they can hide the worst with their high impedance of 300 ohms. If you really want to test that, try some sensitive iem's out.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-16-2010, 07:07 AM

True enough. I think I am done spending for now though.