android
Old 03-09-2010, 01:11 PM

Default Problems with Ogg Vorbis Tagging

Hi guys

I recently bought a S9 32GB and I love it so far. I just have this problem - let me take it from the beginning.

As soon as I had charged the player I upgraded to the newest firmware (2.52). After that I thought, why not re-rip some of my CD's to Ogg Vorbis? So I ripped the CD's through SoundJuicer (Linux CD ripping app) and transferred my music to the S9.
I soon discovered that the S9 could not read the assigned tags (which VLC could read). I searched this forum to find someone who had a similar problem. I did found a thread who suggested using mp3tag since many seemed to have success with this app. So I tried re tagging one album using mp3tag (run through WINE), but it did not solved the problem.
The funny thing is that I also ripped one album in FLAC with SoundJuicer and there is no problem with the tags in that album.

I have no idea how to solve this problem, and you could say that I am quite bewildered. Any ideas?

P.S. Being new to this forum, I have properly placed this thread in the wrong place.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-09-2010, 02:50 PM

I use a utility that comes with AIMP2 music-player and my .ogg tags show fine. I can't add .ogg files to the favourite-list though (which means no dynamic playlists with .ogg with Claw's)... and the list operates by tags if I've understood correctly.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whargoul View Post
As soon as I had charged the player I upgraded to the newest firmware (2.52).
2.52 seems to have issues with Vorbis Comments for a lot of people. Maybe downgrade to 2.51 and you should be fine.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
2.52 seems to have issues with Vorbis Comments for a lot of people. Maybe downgrade to 2.51 and you should be fine.
I will try that, thank you.
And just to be sure - not that it is extremely important - will Claw's UI work with v2.51?

Edit:
Had actually read the thread, but I had obviously not read it thorough enough.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:28 PM

Yes, it will work just fine. I've been using Claw's UI since forever, on every firmware iteration.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:39 AM

Strangely, I can't find any lower version than v2.52 on internet. Anybody who could send me it?

Old 03-10-2010, 05:47 AM

Here you go: http://www.speedyshare.com/files/21335522/S9_2.51.zip

Old 03-10-2010, 12:47 PM

Thank you so much for your help.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:33 PM

Did the downgrade fix the problem?

I just got my S9 today and found the same problem.

I have all my CDs ripped to multi-track flac files (one file per album) and I'm using Foobar to convert them to OGG.

I also upgraded immediately to 2.52 (from 2.50), and am hesitant to downgrade since the COWON websites says that players purchased after March 2010 should only use x.52 or higher.

I could live with MP3, but wanted to use OGG.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:42 AM

@microUgly - I had the same problem with a s9 purchased after March 2010 and did the downgrade to 2.51. It fixed all of the issues with reading the tags, except I can only get the Album Art to display when the Ogg tag has an Album Art image named "cover.jpg" for some reason.

I was using the standard "folder.jpg". So now I'm off to re-tag all of my music.

I have to say that for a multi-codec player and coming from the RockBox world, I'm pretty disappointed with the s9 Ogg support. Especially when about 90% of my collection is OGG.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax View Post
I can only get the Album Art to display when the Ogg tag has an Album Art image named "cover.jpg" for some reason.
cover.jpg is a widely used standard, the Cowons understand a few other album art naming schemes too (like [foldername].jpg, IIRC ) - but unfortunately they indeed don't handle the Microsoft-WMP-specific folder.jpg, which is weird, since it's so widely spread among Windows users.

Quote:
I was using the standard "folder.jpg". So now I'm off to re-tag all of my music.
Why would you need to re-tag your music, it's just a JPEG file in the album folder? Just use some mass-renamer app to rename all folder.jpg to cover.jpg.

---

BTW, not a single portable player (or even any software player besides Foobar and maybe a few exotic ones) support embedded Vorbis Comment album art. Even though Vorbis uses the same comment system as FLAC, it didn't have a standardized approach for embedded album art for the longest time, which is kind of annoying. Embedded FLAC album art works just fine on the S9.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
@microUgly - I had the same problem with a s9 purchased after March 2010 and did the downgrade to 2.51. It fixed all of the issues with reading the tags, except I can only get the Album Art to display when the Ogg tag has an Album Art image named "cover.jpg" for some reason.
Can you explain this a little more so I don't get caught out?

So you don't have the album art image embeded in the file? Rather you have the file path for the image stored in the tag? Or, is the album art indeed embedded in the file, but the original image file name is stored with it? In which case, how do you rename it without embedding the image again?

Quote:
I have to say that for a multi-codec player and coming from the RockBox world, I'm pretty disappointed with the s9 Ogg support. Especially when about 90% of my collection is OGG.
Likewise here. After using Rockbox on a 4th gen iPod for 2 years, I could never go back to an iPod and thought the S9 would be a good upgrade. Unfortunately, I think my clunky, old, black and white Rockbox/iPod is far superior to the S9. But, at least the S9 does boast better sound quality which has prevented me from developing buyers regret.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:05 PM

Place the cover.jpg in the album folder with the .ogg files
Each album should have this file, this will actually work for any kind of file not just .ogg

Ff you started with 2.50, why are you concerned downgrading back to 2.51 will give you a problem? Seems to me you have a legacy device.

Tags
ogg vorbis, tags