android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 03-05-2010, 12:45 AM

Default Are you truly happy with the Clip+ sound? Is the bass and punch there?

Hi - I recently posted this thread bemoaning the fact I can't get everything I want in an DAP: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=53113

Anyway, I listen to recorded live DJ sets which sometimes need a volume boost (not eq really, just need what's there louder). I had a Fuze and really felt that presence and punch was lacking.. but everyone rates it. So!

1 - Are you truly happy with the bass and punch in the clip+? Really? Or are you being positive because you own it?

2 - Is there any limit on the volume or can you pump it up and get something really loud?

3 - Does it have enough level to plug into an amp and play stuff at a party?

Cheers!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-05-2010, 06:28 AM

1 - Are you truly happy with the bass and punch in the clip+? Really? Or are you being positive because you own it?

YES.
Most natural sound I've heard to date. The player will give you what the recording has, so if it's a crap recording, that's what you'll hear. I recommend editing with a sound editor first, if it does not have enough punch (which is what live recordings generally tend to be). Of course all depending on the earphne quality, it doesn't help having a nice hifi with crap speakers, right?

2 - Is there any limit on the volume or can you pump it up and get something really loud?

SURE, there's always a limit somewhere. But it'll get way loud enough to make you deaf in a jiffy.

Just about anything will have enough level to stick into an amp, seeing that it is exactly that, the amps job, to amplify... so don't worry about that.

Hope that helped

Cheerio,
speed.monkey

Old 03-05-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves007 View Post
There's nothing emotional or subjective about it - the AMS Sansa players provide a flat frequency response with any impedance phone, while most other players around roll the bass off with low impedance phones. So that would make the bass of the Sansas better than many other brands. Of course other players can make up for hardware design deficiencies with an EQ or sound enhancements, while the stock EQ of Sansas isn't great (but there's Rockbox for quite a few of them already, which provides one of the best EQs available on portable players).

Old 03-05-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmonkey View Post

YES.
Most natural sound I've heard to date. The player will give you what the recording has, so if it's a crap recording, that's what you'll hear. I recommend editing with a sound editor first, if it does not have enough punch (which is what live recordings generally tend to be). Of course all depending on the earphne quality, it doesn't help having a nice hifi with crap speakers, right
?

SURE, there's always a limit somewhere. But it'll get way loud enough to make you deaf in a jiffy.

Just about anything will have enough level to stick into an amp, seeing that it is exactly that, the amps job, to amplify... so don't worry about that.
Hi Speedmonkey, thanks for the post! I had a Sansa E270 and just couldn't get any oomph out of it. But yeah, on point 1, s**t in = s**t out (mp3 quality wise). I used bass heavy headphones but still nowt. Sound editor usually isn't an option as I have recordings of DJs smashing the gains, MCs (hate them!) barking on things and the recordings are probably limited by the promoter who cheekily plugged in his recorder!

On no. 2, I think I will demo one when I get back to the UK, everyone is raving about the sound quality and it sounds like the clip, clip+ and fuze are hella better than the e-series(?).

On the last point, I asked because I see quite a few threads (across all players) with people complaining that on earbuds things are rocking but when connected to some big cans or a system they lack.

Anyway, I am in Asia so I popped into the shops today and got an A series jobby - could only listen to the pre-loaded demos but it sounded pretty good.

Cheers!

Last edited by daves007; 03-05-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
There's nothing emotional or subjective about it
Thanks, sorry I didn't mean to offend. I write music in my spare time and on the production forums all anyone does is big up their own kit. As you can see, I only started posting today and I can see that the level of maturity is actually pretty high here.

I'm going to demo a clip+ when I get home for sure. For the price, well worth picking up an 8GB one. Hope the micro-SD cards materialise in April!

Old 03-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"I'm going to demo a clip+ when I get home for sure. For the price, well worth picking up an 8GB one. Hope the micro-SD cards materialise in April! "

You mean the 32 GB micro SDHC cards? They probably will take longer than that to appear, and/or be quite expensive initially. Sixteen GB micro SDHC cards are cheap enough though(around $45 or so). You will get plenty of volume from the Clip+ if you use efficient earphones or headphones. Headphone and earphone efficiency varies greatly between models.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:22 AM

I think I saw the 32gb cards were pre-order for 100? Which isn't bad, means you can have a 40gb player for about 160. Anyway, I have an A Series now which I am loving... still going to try that clip+ though.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:02 PM

I'm kind of a headphone freak, I've owned probably around 20 mid-fi to high-fi headphones and 5 high end sources. From what I've listened to I'd say bass punch or slam comes from haing very transient drivers and isn't particularly source dependent. Granted a source can be particularly bad like most chips in mobile phones but any descent source can have decent punch with the right set of cans. This player is on the dark side already and will have no problem depending on what pair of headphones you're using it will have plenty of punch.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:49 AM

Might as well pop my cherry here with my first post and say YES!! I'm extremely happy with the clip+. I visit this site (along with HeadFi) often and generally just look at reviews/comments and try to keep up on the latest stuff so I'm not starting from scratch when looking for something new. This site alone is the reason I went with the clip+ when looking for a replacement for my Vision M (lost that d*mn adapter......AGAIN). I naturally started looking at the higher end "do it all" models but was so impressed by all of the praise bestowed upon this little gem that I figured I'd gamble on something priced this low actually being a superior "bang for the buck". I'm so glad I did.

As far as the bass response..........I had no idea just how lame my Zen was and it SMOKED my two iPods (sorry, but yes, in the beginning I was lured into the mass marketing evil jedi mind tricks of the dark side before I saw the light). I have both the Shure E2c's and top shelf E5's. Both sound great but, having the luxury of sampling both sets side by side, the E5's just absolutely ROCK with this little player. I tweaked the custom eq a bit and I'm VERY satisfied with the bass. I'm not as knowledgeable as the administrators or senior members here but, having played guitar for 30 years messing around with lots of high end equipment throughout the years, I DO know great sound when I hear it. I just have too many expensive hobbies to show as much love for this stuff as some of you can.

This is off topic but since I'm not likely to have the time to post much I thought I'd go ahead and share this.......... I picked my 4gb clip+ at BB a couple of weeks ago (after reading about it here) on sale for $34.99 (regularly $49.99). The cool part was that the store had it for $39.99 BUT the website had it for $5 less so they honored the web price WITH a FREE $15 Napster card as part of the deal. As an unexpected bonus, inside the package was a Emusic coupon good for 35 music downloads PLUS 1 free audiobook. To add to my surprise, when I signed up on Emusic, they had upped the free music to 50 downloads!! Between the discount on the player, 15 songs from Napster and another 50 plus the audiobook on Emusic, the player ended up being FREE and THEN SOME! You figure I got the player for $35 plus 65 songs that would have otherwise cost me $1 each PLUS the audio book (I went with Mark Levin's Liberty and Tyranny: a Conservative Manifesto), which I'm sure would have been more than a buck, and I actually came out ahead on this deal.

Anyway, thanks for the all of the reviews and info on the site. You guys/gals saved me from making another $200+ dollar mistake. I rarely post on any of the forums I visit but I was so impressed with this player that I figured I'd throw my two cents in. So, I'll just go back to lurking in the shadows now looking for the next killer deal. BTW, another site I saw mentioned in these forums, WOOT.com, has refurbished 4gb Fuze's today for $29.99+$5 s&h. I'm thinkin' 'bout about grabbin' a couple or so myself.