android
Old 03-04-2010, 02:47 PM

Default Creative advertisement

Check this out, I got this in my email:

They advertise their own stuff with the games and applications YOU guys made

Last edited by Brett_val; 03-04-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: I guess it wasn't clear enough

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-04-2010, 03:44 PM

Heh, that's amusing. Well, it is supposed to be one of the selling points of the player, so I'm not surprised they included the icons.

What's really great about this advertisement is that it shows we're the only ones developing applications for the ZEN X-Fi2 in english that are being looked at by Creative. We're the only ones who are creating applications that may attract other people in mainly English speaking countries to buy the player.

What this advertisement also tells us is that we've got a lot more leverage about what gets put into the Lua interpreter than we thought. After all, they're relying on us to create apps so they can use the apps' existance to help sell their player.

I for one want the lua standard and auxillary libraries added to the interpreter. With them there's a heck of a lot more that can be done. Applications built to utilise these two libraries can be very powerful and advanced, and not necessarily use up lots of CPU cycles.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:47 PM

It's both an honor and a bit of a let-down. They could've asked before.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 03-04-2010, 08:55 PM

I agree, even though I have not been able to get any applications ready for publication, Creative should have asked permission first.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:22 PM

Why? We've been creating them for free without issuing a license, plus all they used was the icons, they haven't actually supplied any apps for it.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:25 AM

What botheres me is that they display these apps as if they are "new features" from Creative.

Okay, they have been made possible by Creative, but I think it's rude to use them in an advertisement without asking or even letting the makers know. That shows little respect to the people who are enthusiastic about the device and are willing to make it more feature rich and useful to the public.

And, when you ask Creative for apps, they tell you that they are not responsible in any way for using these apps. To me this seems like they do want to use them to sell their product, but at the same time do not want to have anything to do with them.
If they display these apps in advertisements like this, they should also provide a service at their own website, where we can upload them to and download them from.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:28 AM

Just common courtesy. If they are going to recognize our work, then they can at least contact us personally about it also.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:41 PM
X-Fi2 Development Moderator

I'm not fussed - as long as you include your name or alias somewhere in your app you get the credit anyway. All 3 of my apps are included in that - my apps are endorsed by a multinational company Should help with my uni application :P

Old 03-07-2010, 06:24 AM
X-Fi2 App Master

I find this rather pleasing! But on the other hand my Muse Soundboard icon isn't on there, (probably because it has the Muse logo in the icon haha) so I can't really complain Besides they're advertising your apps for free!

Old 03-07-2010, 07:28 AM

I received that email a couple of weeks ago, back then those apps were the only ones we'd finished I think.
For me it's okay... But a kind of reward would be cool, such as a free Zii Egg

Old 03-07-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaPx64 View Post
I received that email a couple of weeks ago, back then those apps were the only ones we'd finished I think.
Wish that we were all so lucky

I figure we should push for more libraries to be added to the interpreter, such as the Lua-GD library. That'd make a lot of graphical stuff possible, including such things as texturing in that simple wire-frame 3D engine that's in the works.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaPx64 View Post
Haha yeah that would be awesome

But just a little communication about it would be nice. Then it would also be much easier for us to ask about these libraries, and for them to tell us about any (hardware) limitations of the X-Fi2.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:34 PM
ABI Founder

I thought i should make some noise for you guys and try to get you some swag and an apology =) "Creative Uses Developers' Applications in Advertisement without Permission"

Old 03-09-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
I thought i should make some noise for you guys and try to get you some swag and an apology =) "Creative Uses Developers' Applications in Advertisement without Permission"
Thanks for that Enzo. It's a bigger chance that article reaches Creative's eyes than this thread ^^

Old 03-09-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
That's great, thanks for that. I hope Creative reacts, that would be really nice of them.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_val View Post
That's great, thanks for that. I hope Creative reacts, that would be really nice of them.
That's not nice. It's making a wrong right again. That's like saying that letting a wrongly imprisoned man go is nice. It's not nice, it's recognizing you screwed up and fixing it.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikc4 View Post
That's not nice. It's making a wrong right again. That's like saying that letting a wrongly imprisoned man go is nice. It's not nice, it's recognizing you screwed up and fixing it.
Yes, and isn't it nice for the person being released that they did so?
In the same way it would be nice of Creative to recognize their mistake.
I am not saying it's a "nice thing for Creative to do" from their point of view, but it is a nice thing for them to do from our point of view.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:47 AM

Thanks Habhome.
It IS about being nice. It's not illegal, because we do it for free. We create them and people who use them give feedback, or say thanks. That way the apps will improve and it is a stimulating factor to produce more apps.
If Creative also wants to use (part of) an app for their business then it would be nice of them to join this community, or at least communicate about it being used.
For the makers it would be an honour, and someone from Creative might also have some valuable information about the possibilities of the player. I think we kind of have the same goal here; to enhance these new features.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:00 PM

hmmm... methinks I have an idea. If we can contact with Creative about this, we can show them how we can do more with the applications.

Quote:
I for one want the lua standard and auxillary libraries added to the interpreter. With them there's a heck of a lot more that can be done. Applications built to utilise these two libraries can be very powerful and advanced, and not necessarily use up lots of CPU cycles.
If they want more apps, then we need more resources.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfenoogen View Post
hmmm... methinks I have an idea. If we can contact with Creative about this, we can show them how we can do more with the applications.

If they want more apps, then we need more resources.
I made a request last week and have since been told it's been passed on to the 'relevant development department'. I asked them to give me the email of said department, if it was ok with that department, so that I could discuss it in more depth with them. No reply to that as of yet.