android
Old 12-29-2010, 03:55 PM

Default My Aluratek Cinepal APMP101F Review

I've never reviewed anything before but I'll try my best since I feel this video player is worth a review.

Aluratek Cinepal APMP101F

Price tag:$100-$130USD

Cinepal Specs:
Display:Large 8 inch 1280x720px LCD screen
Capacity:4GB Flash Memory(Virtually limitless with SDHC card slot and ability to read from any usb flash drive or hard drive)
Battery life:4 hours of video playback
Video:HD and SD in AVI, VOB, DAT, MPG, MPEG, Xvid, DivX, H.264, MKV, & RM / RMVB
Subtitles: SMI, SRT
Transfer modes:MSC

Inside the box:
Pearl White Aluratek Cinepal
TV-out Component video cables
Cheap crappy earbuds
USB On-The-Go cable(Its used for connecting any usb flash drive or hard drive to the Cinepal for it to play media files from.)
Mini Usb cable.
Wall power adapter

Now as an introduction,Aluratek is a company that makes ebook readers with good reviews and other electronics.Their first entry was called the APMP100F which sported a 8.9 inch screen and a beefy 5000mah battery inside it which lasts up to 6 hours but it had a different button layout.I purchased the 101 version because of the higher 1280x720p resolution on the 101 model VS 1024 x 600 on the 100 model.This version has a 2800mah battery that goes up to 4 hours of video playtime,shorter than its older brother but I chose design and higher resolution over battery life.

Design:

The overall design of the player is simple and easy,the large 8 inch screen takes up majority of the space and on the right is the actual buttons,there is a speaker in the front,followed by the power button,a back button and a square 5 button layout then lastly a M button which stands for Menu.My favorite thing about the design of this player is that it is NOT a touch screen,which means this huge 8 inch screen will NEVER get fingerprints at all,which also means that there is no need for a screen protector.I will point out that this screen is kinda frosty,like some of the Apple computers have a frosty screen but after a while you won't notice it.At first,I thought that this was bad but its normal for LCD screens to be grainy like this,this player is best to be viewed at least a few inches away.Its not good to be very close to it because the grainy stuff will be more obvious.Still,movies look great on the screen despise that one con of the screen.

The player is about less than half an inch thick,its quite thin and easy to carry anywhere.Most people would mistake it for a tablet PC because it really looks like one.I haven't found any cases that would fit it yet but I'm sure some ebook or tablet pc cases could fit it.The player is made out of plastic however it doesn't feel cheaply made at all,it feels really sturdy and well put together however I would never want to drop it.On the back of the player is its own kickstand.I like using the kickstand,although its made out of plastic,it holds up the player quite well.For the design,I'll give it an 9 out of 10.

Video playback:
While I have a COWON O2 and also a laptop,there are certain videos that neither one can play because its either too much to handle or just can't do it,thats where the Cinepal comes in.I've thrown all of the AVI and MP4 files at it and 90% of them played perfectly,just two didn't play but those play on the O2 so no problems really.I haven't tried playing any HD movies on it but I'll try that out soon.So far,all my xvid movies play nicely on this player.For video playback,I will give it a 8 out of 10.

User Interface:

If you've ever used a Sony PS3 or PSP then you'll be familiar with the interface of this device.All of the menu options is at the bottom of the screen though,there is:My Favorite,Explorer,Photo,Movie,Music,Ebook and Settings and above them is the option of internal memory and SD card memory if you have one inside,it will instantly read it and have that option of looking inside it and the same goes for if you have a hard drive connected to it.I'll give this easy to use and simple interface a 9 out of 10.

Battery life:

After playing two xvid movies that were about roughly 2 hours plus each,the battery died so the rated battery life is true.

Conclusion:

Screen quality:Great 8 out of 10
Features:10 out of 10.
Battery life:Mediocre 3 out of 10
Video playback:Great 8 out of 10
Ease of use:Excellent 10 out of 10
User Interface:9 out of 10.

Overall:I give this video player a solid 8 out of 10.

Sorry for my picture quality,I'm only using a 3 year old Sony Cybershot.

DSC01146 by lagool57, on Flickr

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey Lagoo, nice work! Thanks for the writeup - with the exception of the battery life, seems you quite like that thing. An interesting piece of gear and yes, Aluratek has been on my own shortlist of potential ebook readers for some time now.

Couple things:
- so this device does not support any audio playback at all?
- another pic or two would make this review even better, like from a side perspective to show unit thinness;
- maybe include a shot of the earbuds in a pic to give some kind of visual scale to the device.

Good stuff man - thanks and hope you post more! We love owner reviews of gear here at ABi!

cheers,
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 12-29-2010, 10:17 PM

Thanks.

1.Yes it does support audio,it supports MP3 files.I just strictly reviewed it as a video player.
2.Ok I'll try and take some decent photos.

Whats sticking out of the player is the 32GB SD card that I have in it but it goes all the way in,I just wanted to show what that slot was for.

DSC01161

Side photo:

DSC01165

Back photo:

DSC01166

Old 12-29-2010, 10:25 PM

The audio and video cables that come with it are meant for HDTV's both 720P and 1080P tvs,its not meant for older TVs.It doesn't have HDMI output but it does have second best.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sweet man...thanks!
Good stuff Lagoo
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 12-29-2010, 10:52 PM

You're welcome.

I just tried out the YPbPr cables on a small 15 inch 720P TV and I have to say that I love the output, 10 out of 10 for that.I played my 480P content on the 720P screen and looks awesome,I'd imagine that its meant for a widescreen HDTV though but I'm not disappointed at all with what this video player can do.I'm going to try an HD MKV file on it now and see how that works out.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:05 PM

Update.

The HD MKV file that I tested on it looks amazing,I absolutely love it.Its looks as detailed as the movie would on a large 40 inch HDTV screen but on this 8 inch screen it looks stunning.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds interesting except for only 4 hours of battery life. They should make a version of this with 10+ hours of battery life for video, or perhaps sell an inexpensive battery pack that attaches to the player to extend the battery life to 10+ hours.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Damn, it'd be great if the batt life was slightly longer. Anyways, nice mini review Lagoo56,...

Old 12-30-2010, 10:14 PM

Thanks.I wanted to let people know that its worth buying.Other than mediocre battery life,its good at doing what its made to do which is play videos so I don't mind the short battery life.If Aluratek ever decides to make a 3rd media player,all it would need is:longer battery life and SDXC support.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:31 AM

Does this thing run android like the 100 units? can it be hacked to run other apps? Can you try loading a "magazine pdf" onto it. Is it readable full page ? while the resolution is high enough I am worried about the 4" screen making it too small (4" is how "tall" or in portrait how "wide" the screen is)

Old 01-17-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
Does this thing run android like the 100 units? can it be hacked to run other apps? Can you try loading a "magazine pdf" onto it. Is it readable full page ? while the resolution is high enough I am worried about the 4" screen making it too small (4" is how "tall" or in portrait how "wide" the screen is)
No it does not run Android.
It reads text files,not pdf files.
Its a portable media player,not a tablet PC or ebook reader.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:00 AM

I bought the one that's about 10inches. design is a little different, but it works very well for video (which is why I bought it)

I have some hd movies that I think are just to much for the player. It plays them but with a skip now and then. just like you paused and pushed played lightning fast. It's pretty good over all though

Old 02-08-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai29 View Post
I bought the one that's about 10inches. design is a little different, but it works very well for video (which is why I bought it)

I have some hd movies that I think are just to much for the player. It plays them but with a skip now and then. just like you paused and pushed played lightning fast. It's pretty good over all though
Well some movies are a hit and miss.Of course firmware updates would help these players alot but Aluratek isn't the kind of company to do that,just the kind to release something and not update it,like a toy company.I've tried many HD movies in AVI and MKV format and they run fine on mine with no problems.I'll write a second and more thorough review eventually.I think for anyone who just wants a large screen and to watch videos but not buy a tablet PC,this is the best choice and cheapest.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:40 AM

I forgot to point one thing out about the player. When any video file is played for the first time,a .ptm file is created which lets the player resume the file no matter how many movies is started.So if I was watching a movie for instance and I had to turn if off.I can turn it back on and resume the movie from where I left off.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ah, a kind of bookmarking feature. Nice!
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats on the review never heard of them before.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 PM

Thanks.There was one part that I didn't cover when I wrote the review which was the SQ.For movies the sound quality is nothing special but just sounds average as long as you're using good headphones.As for music,I wouldn't recommend using it for that because it just sounds very flat and there are no EQ presets for it or equalizer.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:31 PM

thnx for the review, i just ordered one on amazon for 80 bucks with free shipping because of it XD

Old 04-27-2011, 06:42 AM

Hey guys just so everyone know's I made a review of the slightly older model of the cinepal, and it can be seen here:

http://shadowskater555.blogspot.com/...0f-review.html

ZuneHD-Music
Aluratek Cinepal-Video
Ipod Touch-Wifi stuff