android
Old 02-25-2010, 03:54 PM

Default Background noise

Got my D2+ a while and with a pair of decent Denon ear-plugs and is reasonably satisfied with it despite the GUI which I will never get to terms with. However, when I turn on the player there is a background noise to it which is kind of irritating. It is not loud but it is there. I have not tested with for instance FLAC files but only low compression mp3s. Do any of you guys experience similar "problems"?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-12-2010, 03:18 PM

I also hear a background noise. Mine is similar to that of a cricket. It is like listening to a cricket singing in the background. It is very low and you can only hear it on quiet passages and silences, but it's there, regardless of the type of file I use, be it FLAC or MP3 and with any bitrate. This can be anoying with certain music . Can anyone shed some ligh on this?

Thanks.

Player: Cowon D2+ 16 GB
Firmware: 2.11
Phones: Audeo PFE

Old 04-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Quite an ancient thread everyone obviously overlooked. Apologies to henrik2h.

Background noise usually depends on the impedance and sensitivity of the connected phone. The lower the impedance and the higher the sensitivity, the more it will hiss. An impedance adapter or a (decent) headphone amp can fix this. Katabatik, it's interesting that your PFE hiss with the D2, they're 32 Ohm impedance and extremely low sensitivity, I never heard them hiss with any player at all.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:52 PM

The thing is, it is not a hissing noise. It is not a constant, but periodical. Do you know when a vinyl record is scratched and everytime the needle passes over the scratch it makes a noise? It is that kind of noise, periodical, like a heartbeat. I said it was like a cricket, because it really resembles the singing of a cricket! I believe this is not hissing. If there was a hard disc inside, I would say it was the noise of the hard disk turning.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:19 PM

Interesting, I didn't have that bug on my D2. Are you using any Flash UI on your D2? Did you rip your own CDs, or are all your tracks from various sources?

If you didn't already do so, I would also suggest giving Rockbox a try, to check if the 'crickets' can be heard there too.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:37 PM

To answer your question, my tracks are from various sources. What do you mean a flash UI? (forgive me my ignorance). Rockbox seems to be unstable with the D2, according to the Rockbox website.

But now that you got me thinking, I should add that I don't always hear the "crickets". They appear randomly, but it is not track related. Hum... I did notice that they seem to sound louder when I'm jogging. Is it a coincidence or is it my hears??? I must say that my hearing is very sensite and I hear stuff that other people usually don't.

I must start taking notes of when it happens and with which tracks.

UPDATE:

I've found the source of the noise!!! You will not believe this. It's an interference of the signal of my Polar heart rate monitor! The signal is periodical, not continuous, hence the periodical noise. Since it don't always use the monitor when I run, it seemed to happen randomly. Posting on the forum made me think harder on the subject. Thanks for the help dfkt!

Last edited by katabatik; 04-12-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:00 AM

er, just a question. How close was the hear rate monitor to your player or your earphones?

Old 04-21-2010, 07:08 AM

The heart rate monitor's sensor was on my chest and the player was at waist level.